Can minoxidil make surrounding healthy hairs dependent?

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
So say you apply minoxidil to a thinning hair but that minoxidil also touches surrounding hair that isn't thinning. Can that surrounding hair also become dependent on the minoxidil so if you ever stop that hair goes as well?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly do not think normal healthy hairs will develop a dependency on Minoxidil. It's the hairs that are Androgenetic Alopecia sensitive that will become dependent on the medication in order to survive and produce normal healthy hairs through some unknown artifical mechanism(s) which no one yet fully understands to this day on how Minoxidil helps treat genetic hair loss.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Asking cause of this:
My hairline has only thinned badly on the side I'm using minoxidil in the period i used it which i stopped over 7 months ago and still no growth & Also the back of my head has thinned where the minoxidil liquid would run down from my crown, again no regrowth in that area and it isn't even a male pattern baldness area. included a pic of my left temple as well to show the side which has not had a drop of minoxidil
IMG_0649.JPGIMG_06790.jpgIMG_0794.JPG

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Asking cause of this:
My hairline has only thinned badly on the side I'm using minoxidil in the period i used it which i stopped over 7 months ago and still no growth & Also the back of my head has thinned where the minoxidil liquid would run down from my crown, again no regrowth in that area and it isn't even a male pattern baldness area. included a pic of my left temple as well to show the side which has not had a drop of minoxidil
View attachment 36169View attachment 36170View attachment 36171

It is possible to experience more hair loss on one side of the hairline than the other. It's most likely possible at this point you do not respond to Minoxidil. It's also possible to have hair loss on your crown at the back of your head, and is usually an area of the scalp that may experience hair loss if genetic baldness is predisposed.

I have also experienced more hair loss on one side of my hairline than the other, more on my left side than the right side. Remember to keep in mind that male pattern baldness doesn't follow any rules.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Asking cause of this:
View attachment 36169View attachment 36170View attachment 36171

Keep in mind that it's that area that the minoxidil ran down and showed no sign of loss before i started treating my crown with it. That's exactly the line the minoxidil ran down.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
The minoxidil im using or more accurately was using is from kirklands ebay store 1 years supply if that matters. I'm still seeing some miniturized hair on my hairline but argh I'm caught between wanting to grow hair with minoxidil but also seeing the evidence that maybe its harmful for me.

itwentflat

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly do not think normal healthy hairs will develop a dependency on Minoxidil. It's the hairs that are Androgenetic Alopecia sensitive that will become dependent on the medication in order to survive and produce normal healthy hairs through some unknown artifical mechanism(s) which no one yet fully understands to this day on how Minoxidil helps treat genetic hair loss.
i did minoxidil for a few months then stopped. does this mean male pattern baldness susceptible hairs that werent affected yet would fall out?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil is very safe on your existing follicles. In fact it could thicken up areas which are presently not affected. You might notice your surrounding hair return to their original state upon stopping your treatment. If they do grow back in a bad shape or get slick its most probably the male pattern baldness and not the minoxidil.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hair should be growing faster on minoxidil. I respectfully think that hair that doesn't get minoxidil will not depend on it. I take a 30% minoxidil solution. It's way too thick to go on non balding areas. However I do rub it in with my thinning hair on the vertex, but mostly my temple/forehead areas. And the hair around my hairline grows twice as fast as my back and sides do. True fact. It grows over one inch in a month. I get a long buzzcut (#7) all around my head. It's noticeably longer. Now, I don't think it is as effective as finasteride is. The finasteride stopped my hair from falling out, and probably made it thicker in diameter. I'm increasing my finasteride (topical solution) from .05ml to .1ml = 1mg per day. I'm also decreasing minoxidil from 30% to 15%, so I can spread it around my hair better. (It won't be as thick).

I have come across a few studies which indicate that liquid finasteride can be effective in maintaining your hair and possibly acheieve some regrowth too. Although I wanted to try the stuff, I was a bit scared since I experienced side effects when I took the drug orally. Did you try propecia tablets first ? and did you experience any undesirable side effects while on it ? How is liquid finasteride working for you ?

I know thats a lot of questions but I'd really appreciate if you could share your experience.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair should be growing faster on minoxidil. I respectfully think that hair that doesn't get minoxidil will not depend on it. I take a 30% minoxidil solution. It's way too thick to go on non balding areas. However I do rub it in with my thinning hair on the vertex, but mostly my temple/forehead areas. And the hair around my hairline grows twice as fast as my back and sides do. True fact. It grows over one inch in a month. I get a long buzzcut (#7) all around my head. It's noticeably longer. Now, I don't think it is as effective as finasteride is. The finasteride stopped my hair from falling out, and probably made it thicker in diameter. I'm increasing my finasteride (topical solution) from .05ml to .1ml = 1mg per day. I'm also decreasing minoxidil from 30% to 15%, so I can spread it around my hair better. (It won't be as thick).

Yes but if the minoxidil does touch otherwise non thinning hairs can those hairs become addicted even though they're healthy?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Important question.

male pattern baldness's variance factors mostly due to precursory genetic signaling. Making it next to impossible to reliably predict extent or rate of it's progressive consequences.
So yes to your question: I think this is foreseeable.

You'll probably agree that one of the more problematic features of Androgenetic Alopecia is that there's just no predicting (precisely)when or how fast it progresses from patient to patient,
Will a male pattern baldness sufferer's present, discernibly unaffected or healthy area(s) treated with minoxidil. remain healthy indefinitely, even if/when minoxidil. treatment is stopped?

Probably not, but it is certainly possible. We have still yet to completely understand how it works in the first place.

Factually, as male pattern baldness and/or minoxidil. mechanics goes, your guess is as good as the next. (-:
Yes but if the minoxidil does touch otherwise non thinning hairs can those hairs become addicted even though they're healthy?

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Important question.

male pattern baldness's variance factors mostly due to precursory genetic signaling. Making it next to impossible to reliably predict extent or rate of it's progressive consequences.
So yes to your question: I think this is foreseeable.

You'll probably agree that one of the more problematic features of Androgenetic Alopecia is that there's just no predicting (precisely)when or how fast it progresses from patient to patient,
Will a male pattern baldness sufferer's present, discernibly unaffected or healthy area(s) treated with minoxidil. remain healthy indefinitely, even if/when minoxidil. treatment is stopped?

Probably not, but it is certainly possible. We have still yet to completely understand how it works in the first place.

Factually, as male pattern baldness and/or minoxidil. mechanics goes, your guess is as good as the next. (-:

To me it's an explanation as to why hairloss seems to get worse than it was pre baseline in the months after stopping minoxidil. If the healthy areas surrounding the thinning are addicted to the substance you were putting on the thinning area then when you stop they'd go with the thinning area when or if you stop applying minoxidil. This is what's stopping me from going on minoxidil again I believe this is what happened to my hairline

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes like you Secretbat, I still have similar reservations using minoxidil. Although my hair loss continues to advance (no discernible improvement at all) I have resigned myself, pretty much to a lifelong commitment;
Lol for better or worse, until death do us part.

So yeah, if you'll having misgivings about revisiting minoxidil., I certainly respect/appreciate your decision not to restart. :)

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes like you Secretbat, I still have similar reservations using minoxidil. Although my hair loss continues to advance (no discernible improvement I am resigned pretty much a lifelong commitment;
Lol for better or worse, until death do us part.

So yeah, if you'll having misgivings about revisiting minoxidil., I certainly respect/appreciate your decision not to restart. :)

My concern is simply I don't want to speed up the process by making my healthy hair addicted to it but at the same time i want my hairline back. I used kirkland minoxidil and rogaine foam for a year without finasteride and only lost ground. Used it for 5 months with finasteride and saw no improvement but a part of me still holds out hope that maybe it could help but then i see how only the area i put minoxidil in which started at nw1 and is now i think Norwood 2.5 and think wow what if it actually contributed to the loss. I'm torn.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
No, they can't. The worst case when people stop minoxidil is their hair goes back to where it would be if they did not use it. They won't get addicted to it..

Your evidence of this?
Furthermore how do you explain the loss down the back of my head right where the minoxidil ran then in a area where baldness does not effect me or the majority of people who suffer through it?
How do you explain that the one side of my hairline i tested minoxidil is now a 2/2.5 while the other which didn't have any minoxidil applied to it ever has not moved.

It seems you're ignoring the evidence and producing none.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe the reason it's going bald is because you stopped treating it. And that is a line near your vertex. So the minoxidil just went in the same pattern each time? I don't think so. What happened to the other hair where it dripped on? Did that just grow back slower?

1. That line is not on my vortex it runs down from my vortex
2. I was never balding on the sides of my head, not many people do
3. It's called gravity. If you put liquid minoxidil on a slope on the exact same spot every time, It's going to run down that slope dictated by the shape of your head
4. You still haven't produced any evidence for your claim that healthy hair doesn't get addicted to minoxidil
5. You didn't address the hairline point at all.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I claim the sky is red, than I need to show the burden of proof. That is like what you are claiming.

I agree with this and it's what I was thinking as I read through this thread. If you claim something which is not a widespread belief: healthy hair likely gets addicted to minoxidil, and it falls out and becomes a bald area if you stop minoxidil - then the burden of proof is on you, not the other way around. And your own experience is not a proof of it happening to anyone but you. If it happens to many or most people it should be apparent in studies and also in the majority of posts on boards like this.

Secretlybatman

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Medication doesn't effect everyone the same way. Yes Minoxidil helps some people and it does not help others and some people it has the opposite effect. If my pictures aren't proof enough for you. Take a look at this guy http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/95059-Minoxidil-made-me-bald-amazing-regrowth-after-7-months-without!

2. You've yet to back up your claim that healthy hair can not get addicted to minoxidil. What you seem to ignore is that I asked this question while you made a claim on it thus the burden of proof is on you. Apparently you're too stupid to even comprehend the English language but that's unsurprising, you are American after all.

3. Stating the colour of the sky is an example is a terrible example. We know how bad our eyesight is and how we can't perceive colour all that well. The isn't actually blue it only appears that way due to our eyes lack of ability to see the entire colour wheel but I guess you wouldn't know that or you wouldn't have used it as an example.

4. You seem to ignore that you're still on minoxidil thus even if your healthy hair was addicted, it wouldn't be affected due to the fact you're still on it thus making your anecdotal evidence not only pointless but completely invalid.

5. I don't know what caused my baldness? Uh, did someone hit you over the head with a hammer kid? No one knows every aspect of hairloss not even people in the business of treating it fully understand it. If we did, there would be a cure but there isn't because we don't understand it fully.

6. The only claims I've made are the following: That i got the line down from my vortex where the minoxidil ran only after I applied minoxidil to which I've provided evidence for. That another guy on the forums lost a lot of hair on minoxidil and stopped losing it after stopping minoxidil which I've given evidence for. I never claimed that healthy hair does get addicted. I asked the question and proposed a hypothesis as to how it might happen IF it does. That's different from making a claim which you did.

7. Given the fact that we don't fully understand how minoxidil works, your claim of "listed side effects" is nothing but nonsense. Not every drug lists every possible side effect on its list of side effects due to everyones biology being different. The test subjects may not experience the side effect you get. Side effects unlisted can 1 in a million or unknown. Do we really need to go over medications in the past which have been withdrawn even after getting FDA approval due to unseen side effects.

8. I never claimed it happened to everyone yetti, not everyone reacts the same way to medication. Your strawman is obvious

9. "gevornment" Hahahahahahahahahaha

Try again

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That line is not on my vortex it runs down from my vortex

6. The only claims I've made are the following: That i got the line down from my vortex where the minoxidil ran

Where's your "vortex"? Regarding #9 on your list in the post above, maybe you should study English first, criticize the English of others later?