Can Lifting And Exercising Speed Up Hairloss?

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
You won't lose hair faster from lifting weights, the increased testosterone from muscle gain/fat loss is a myth and broscience, if you do get increased in testosterone, it will be marginal, it's not gonna be anywhere near as enough to actually accelerate hairloss.

but on the other hand if you start doing steroids or even TRT, then yes that will accelerate hairloss because that's gonna skyrocket your androgens
Add creatine to that list too

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do think that it can, particularly with hypertrophy/power training that increases test to a modest degree; however, it probably won't make a major difference. Aerobic exercise probably has an even less of an effect. On the other hand, the increased vasodilation might counteract it altogether. Overall, I think it's safe to say that exercise is pretty negligible.
Not sure it is as simple as that

The increase in test is negligible, also as people get older their testosterone levels reduce

The increase in test is negligible, also as people get older their testosterone levels reduce

If it’s all down to T levels , then why do older people still lose hair when it starts declining?

Also, not to mention that a lot of powerlifters are on gear too

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
even if it did (which is does not), having hair and being very out of shape is unattractive

I used to be very skinny and despite having a good set of hair , being out of shape negatively affected me when going on dates

For a long time I refused to go to the gym in case I would ‘accelerate hair loss’, I lost hair anyway - hair line, crown, vertex

if you are that concerned, start treating your hair loss whilst going to the gym
Your chances were better with NW1 and out shape than bald and trenned.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it’s all down to T levels , then why do older people still lose hair when it starts declining?

It's not all down to T levels. Check the hormonal threads and you will find plenty of teenage balders who already have low T, and there are some who even are castrated and still lose hair. It's genetics, receptor sensitivity, affinity for aromatization, synthesis of androgens within in the scalp, and TIME is also crucial. Old men still lose hair because of the amount of time their receptors have been exposed to such contributors to hair loss. There also seems to be such a thing as "age related thinning" (likely telomere shortening) which would only accentuate the problem. My point is that it really doesn't matter if you exercise or not in regards to preserving hair.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not all down to T levels. Check the hormonal threads and you will find plenty of teenage balders who already have low T, and there are some who even are castrated and still lose hair. It's genetics, receptor sensitivity, affinity for aromatization, synthesis of androgens within in the scalp, and TIME is also crucial. Old men still lose hair because of the amount of time their receptors have been exposed to such contributors to hair loss. There also seems to be such a thing as "age related thinning" (likely telomere shortening) which would only accentuate the problem. My point is that it really doesn't matter if you exercise or not in regards to preserving hair.

Interesting. Explains why I was losing hair with a sedentary life-style over 8 years.

I wish people on here would stop spreading misinformation.

Every man should work out, regardless on if they balding or not. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair loss is not caused by bloodstream DHT, it is caused by intrafollicular 5AR. The question is does working out increase 5AR activity in the follicle, and you wont find a study on that. Hair loss has less to do with DHT but more with 5AR.
So why do people lose hair when they inject androgens into their blood stream?

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience was that I counted a lot more hairs in the sink when I was still allowed to enter a gym (b4 Corona). But I also smoked at that time. So make of that what you will.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any studies to substantiate these claims? I find "expert" opinions and studies in both directions on a quick Google search, but nothing tangible. Anecdotally, my hair loss seems to have picked up when I started weight training. Not sure if there is a correlation here, but I would like to see some studies.

I am especially interested in guys that are holding on to their hair and trying to maintain. I.e. guys like me NW2-NW3 who don't want to lose any more at all costs. Obviously weightlifting will not cause hair loss, otherwise body builders with hair would not exist, and they clearly do. But I am thinking about weight training accelerating hair loss or contributing to it in guys that are already on meds and trying to keep it.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any studies to substantiate these claims? I find "expert" opinions and studies in both directions on a quick Google search, but nothing tangible. Anecdotally, my hair loss seems to have picked up when I started weight training. Not sure if there is a correlation here, but I would like to see some studies.

I am especially interested in guys that are holding on to their hair and trying to maintain. I.e. guys like me NW2-NW3 who don't want to lose any more at all costs. Obviously weightlifting will not cause hair loss, otherwise body builders with hair would not exist, and they clearly do. But I am thinking about weight training accelerating hair loss or contributing to it in guys that are already on meds and trying to keep it.

are you taking creatine?
From experience lost much more hair in 2016 than when I started lifting

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
No I am not. No supplements at all, which is why I am surprised.

it’s not working out then, natural balding progression
I have been training for 2 years, lost my most hair when I was living a sedentary lifestyle

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
whey destroys hair lol

it’s just protein bro
Well, I would like to see studies. It seems there aren't many, and 'expert' opinions go both ways on this.

Also, what about eating a super high protein diet? I've been doing mostly keto for a while now. Super high amounts of proteins. If whey can cause/accelerate hair loss, might there be some connection to larger proportions of protein? Not a scientist, so don't quote me if this is moronic.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tranny drugs grow hair.. Test boosters, sarms, whey, creatine decimate hair.. if you’re sensitive
Can you develop or flesh that out a bit further? People keep mentioning creatine which is what some use to mask drug use, I believe.

mariawotters

My Regimen
Reaction score
My friend also went to the gym to tone up his body and his hair didn't start falling out anymore. My boyfriend and I also started exercising after I found and got acquainted with https://betterme.world/articles/body-recomposition/ . We've been practicing a lot and it's been a few weeks now and my boyfriend's hair is in place. I think that hair cannot fall out from sports just like that

Last edited: