can i wear a hat?

youngnat

Reaction score
does anyone know if its ok to wear a hat/cap straight after surgery? is looser better? i have a cap but its reasonably tight, will it disturb the grafts?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its ok to wear a cap as long as it does'nt touch the grafts.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
The first 24 hours is crucial not to disturb the grafts. So be careful with hats. Once this guy fell asleep with a cap on and he awakened, took off his cap and about 200 grafts were stuck to the hat and were pulled out of the scalp. A complete train wreck. So be careful. :)

G

And if the procedure was strip, you certainly don't want undue tension on the sutured area either! :freaked:

If you must wear a hat/ballcap, make sure it is not a "fitted" cap. Make sure there is an adjustment band so you can wear it loosley on your head.

youngnat

Reaction score
hi there

had the op saturday, started a new job monday so went to work wearing a cap, lucky we arent in school anymore and people are adults about it, i just said to them 'excuse the hat please ive had stuff done' and they were all cool with it so relief!!!!

the hat isnt so loose, but its been 7 days now and havent had any bleeding from grafts and dont find any hairs in the cap itself so i think its ok, i guess aslong as the hat itself does not touch the grafted area all should be well... heres hoping

im now just hoping no shock hair loss from the poking and prodding of the incision instrument used, ive been on propecia for 3.5 months prior to surgery, had a fair amount of shedding from that, so in 6 months i hope my hair recovers well enough so i can start living and stop having social phobias.

my Doctor said to me alot of women (not all but alot) dont get why guys have hair transplants, but then just said ask them how they feel if they were 20 with wrinkles, quite a good way to help people relate to the mental disability its had on my life.

cheers everyone thanks for the support and continued support! :)

G

Only the people who experience hairloss understand or experience the psychological impact it can have on us. In my experience, hairloss is even more devastating to women so I really don't get what your Doctor was stating. Obviously he was referring to women who do not suffer from hairloss. :roll:

youngnat

Reaction score
i recently bought a hair concealor called megathik, its like toppik, and since i live where toppik isnt available locally i tried it, and to my suprise its magic! ok it has its limitations with water and sweat etc etc, but its definitely given my confidence back, it covers up nicely my hair transplant scars and my family and friends dont even know.

you do need hair, and it needs to be longer to be more effective in the way it looks.

previously i dreaded working, going out, seeing anyone, i was depressed and very mentally scarred from my hair loss. now with hair transplant sessions and this concealor stuff i feel like im getting my life back.

G

Glad to hear your quality of life is getting better all the time! :)

youngnat

Reaction score
its getting better, my hair isnt any better at this stage and who knows what itll look like later on

i just bought some nizarol shampoo, i know people claim it to be a dht blocker however im using it as a dandruff shampoo, my scalp got really really dry due to the surgery so i thought id better get some serious scalp shampoo and conditioner to try and put some nutrients back into my head.

all i know im trying my best to beat this hair thing, ill go down fighting

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
be sure to wear your hat at a jaunty angle :)

youngnat

Reaction score
im not wearing a hat now, when i did it was on an angle and i wore a big gold chain and a diamond encrusted "mum" neckless ;)

but seriously, wore a hat for 2 weeks, using concealor now.... i just hope the hair grows!

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
youngnat said:
im not wearing a hat now, when i did it was on an angle and i wore a big gold chain and a diamond encrusted "mum" neckless ;)

good work,good work :agree:

youngnat

Reaction score
yup on finasteride also.

finasteride (propecia) + saw palmetto (i know i know some people say its useless but ive been told it might help so hey ill try anything) + nizarol (3x a week, i really only started using this due to a dry scalp from the trauma of having my scalp cut and healing)

ive been told minoxidol, i used it a while back when i did this thing called advanced hair studio, some salesmen gave me some bull about getting me a full head of hair by putting it under a advanced hair laser which was nothing more then a whole bunch of laser pointers aimed at my head, being scared and il informed (i didnt study up on hair loss due to the fact i was still in denial and by going to this place it gave me peace of mind that some one else was doing something for me, but in reality i needed to help myself). anyhow... 4 grand down the tube. what a rip that was! but back to minoxidol, i guess it sort of worked, i stopped it for a while and recently bought some a few months ago, its so messy and i dont want to use it for the rest of my life, thats just it, if you cant do something for the rest of ur life then dont start it (ie finasteride or any other drug topical or internal) as keeping our hair is a life long struggle.

happy growing people! :)

G

Definitely use what works for you and at least you now know by trial. The relatively new Rogaine foam is not as messy, but it is a little pricey. Also, no proylene glycol which may prove easier or more tolerable on your scalp.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey young nat, you can find the Rogaine foam much cheaper on ebay than you can in the store. Pretty easy to buy a three or six month supply. Also, it is much easier on my scalp than the old liquid formula.

youngnat

Reaction score
hey dd how goes it

yea i thought about the foam, but to be honest ive been on propecia now for 5 months, and yes been thru a hell of a shed, + a small hair transplant and lining another one up in a few months, by going back to rogaine it is messy, even the foam, and i dont want to go through an added shed by using the minoxidol, also ive heard bad things about trying to use concealor with the rogaine stuff.

but the most i dont want is to use it FOREVER, as we all know once you start using a product you gotta keep using it right otherwise you lose what you gain (if any), so id rather not even start and save that small fortune for surgery.