Can I ruin minoxidil by dissolving finasteride into it?

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to try 15% minoxidil/5% Azelaic Acid liquid to see if it can improve the new small hairs grown on temples by 5% Minoxidil.

To maximize the effect I'm thinking to crush and dissolve 10 tablets of finasteride (so 50mg finasteride to 60ml minoxidil).
My main concern is - wouldn't this reduce the effectiveness of the minoxidil?

Second question - maybe applying Finasteride topically doesn't give any benefits and is only beneficial if taken orally?

Need4Hair

Reaction score
I did it for years, but not 10 tablets!!! just one tablet of finasteride crashed in minoxidil bottle. no harm. I still have my hair in good conditions.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
1 tablet is same as nothing...

I've seen some commercial solutions of minoxidil+finasteride, they're usually 0.1-0.25% in strength (this for example: http://www.unitedpharmacies.co.uk/product.php?productid=1490&cat=&page=1)
So let's do the math:

To make a 0.1% solution you would need 100mg Finasteride for 100ml minoxidil. That would be 20 tablets of finasteride.

But my main concern is - is it even worth wasting finasteride? Maybe it's not even effective when applied topically? Are there any guys who have got results by applying finasteride topically, or any studies, proof?