Can I "load" on dutasteride and then cut back?

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
If I take .5/day for 4 months (or 5 or 6) and see some results, is it a smart idea to cut the dose or frequency after it has kicked in?

I ask since i read the GSK study where they loaded participants with 2.5/day (i think) for a few months, and then scaled the dose back.

Plus, dutasteride has a 30 day halflife right? compared to 8 hours for finasteride? so that would mean after X months i am 'saturated' with the drug and would not have to take as much to maintain levels?

correct me if im wrong ...

has anyone had success with this method?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
mbehr22 said:
If I take .5/day for 4 months (or 5 or 6) and see some results, is it a smart idea to cut the dose or frequency after it has kicked in?

No. You'll very likely lose some of the results, if you do that.

mbehr22 said:
I ask since i read the GSK study where they loaded participants with 2.5/day (i think) for a few months, and then scaled the dose back.

They didn't "scale-back" the dose, they simply ENDED it, after the study had run for its planned length.

mbehr22 said:
Plus, dutasteride has a 30 day halflife right? compared to 8 hours for finasteride? so that would mean after X months i am 'saturated' with the drug and would not have to take as much to maintain levels?

You don't become "saturated" with dutasteride. Your blood levels of the drug are directly proportional to the dose that you take, at least at the larger doses (the relationship is non-linear at low doses).

smirkey

Reaction score
if you were taking .5 a day and suffering from unpleasant sides. would you still gain anything from eod or m/w/f . Or would you better of dropping back to finasteride ???? somebody help please. :