Can I Keep My Minoxidil Gains With Propecia?

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am using minoxidil(5%) and propecia/finasteride for a month now, and when I regrow/thicken(don't have completely bald areas but just various grades of hair thinning) hair with minoxidil I want to stop it and continue only with propecia but I heard that after using minoxidil the hair falls out if you stop with the minoxidil even if you use propecia. is it true? even if you probably could grow that hair with propecia alone and the minoxidil was just to speed up the process?.
I don't want to use minoxidil or any kind of topical hair loss medication for more than few months and obviously not for years.
should I just try to restore my hair to normal with propecia alone? or the minoxidil will still accelerate the process?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you stop minoxidil you'll probably lose all gains you get from it, no matter if you're on Propecia or not. Finasteride and minoxidil work differently.

Why don't you like to use topicals? Just curious...

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you stop minoxidil you'll probably lose all gains you get from it, no matter if you're on Propecia or not. Finasteride and minoxidil work differently.

Why don't you like to use topicals? Just curious...
what will make my minoxidil gains to disappear? they will completely return to the state they would if i wouldn't take minoxidil at all?.

i don't want to use topicals cause its too much of a hassle, i want to keep on with my life and pretty much forget this hair loss disease.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, they operate in different ways.

Propecia prevents current hairs from dying.
Minoxidil gives an adrenaline boost to current hairs.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
what will make my minoxidil gains to disappear? they will completely return to the state they would if i wouldn't take minoxidil at all?.

i don't want to use topicals cause its too much of a hassle, i want to keep on with my life and pretty much forget this hair loss disease.

Your hair will go back to what it was without minoxidil.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
so basically i am wasting my time on the minoxidil? i am 100% sure that i don't want to keep using this sh*t for life...

You look better while using it, it's kind of like weightlifting in that sense. The benefits go away if you stop using it.

Separately, though min gains cannot be maintained by finasteride, it's conceivable that a future drug might be able to maintain them.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
there is a way to accelerate my hair growth without being depended indefinitely on other kind of treatment other than propecia?.
i also heard that you can quite with minoxidil "gradualy", does it work to keep some of the gains?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so basically i am wasting my time on the minoxidil? i am 100% sure that i don't want to keep using this sh*t for life...

Yup, pretty much. There's no cure for androgenic alopecia. When you start taking finasteride or/and minoxidil you're set for life ( at least for now ). I'm having minoxidil as my last resort precisely for this reason.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much. There's no cure for androgenic alopecia. When you start taking finasteride or/and minoxidil you're set for life ( at least for now ). I'm having minoxidil as my last resort precisely for this reason.
i heard about guides/questions related to "how to stop with minoxidil", dose stoping with the minoxidil gradually or in some other way can help you keep some of the minoxidil growth?.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i heard about guides/questions related to "how to stop with minoxidil", dose stoping with the minoxidil gradually or in some other way can help you keep some of the minoxidil growth?.

In the long run, I don't believe it will make any difference. You'll eventually lose all your hair gain from minoxidil.

What are you using, foam or liquid? Foam is easier to apply and a lot of people here are using it successfully only once a day.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the long run, I don't believe it will make any difference. You'll eventually lose all your hair gain from minoxidil.

What are you using, foam or liquid? Foam is easier to apply and a lot of people here are using it successfully only once a day.
don't want to be depended on any topical, just speeding up my hair thickening from the propecia.
i have no intentions in keeping using topicals for life.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
don't want to be depended on any topical, just speeding up my hair thickening from the propecia.
i have no intentions in keeping using topicals for life.

Drop minoxidil than and see what happens. After 1 month it shouldn't be so much difference after all.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the oral? I’m on a low dose been 7 months can’t tell if it’s doing anything but I couldn’t keep up with the 2 a day topical. The derm said she expected be oral low doses to become more mainstream.

I will say my hairline has taken a real hit, not sure if that’s playing a role. I’m scared of the Finasteride.

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
if i will quite from minoxidil(like in a few months from now) would my hair lose any kind of progress including from the finasteride/dutasteride as if i never took any kind of hair loss medication from first place?. just want to make sure

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the oral? I’m on a low dose been 7 months can’t tell if it’s doing anything but I couldn’t keep up with the 2 a day topical. The derm said she expected be oral low doses to become more mainstream.

I will say my hairline has taken a real hit, not sure if that’s playing a role. I’m scared of the Finasteride.

How much are you taking? No sides? The main concern for me taking the oral minoxidil is heart health.