can I dye it??

G

I am a 25 year old female that has just been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia and have a few questions for all of you out there. I went to a salon yesterday and talked to a gentleman who often works with people that have thinning hair(infact he actually makes wigs and hair pieces).He basically told me that it would be completely safe if I dyed my hair with a semi-permenent low amonia/peroxide dye. In your opinion do you think it's a bad idea that I have this done. My hair is in need of a dye job, but I've been too scared to do this myself. I really appreciate any feedback.

Anita

Reaction score
That's a good question. I think the consensus is that chemical treatments are fine. I had a mild relaxer put in my hair a few days ago and so far nothing bad has happened. But a warning: the treatment itself may not do anything but it may make your hair look different. For example, the top of my head now looks very sleek but almost glued to my head so that it seems as if the hair is thinner. Also, while she was putting the stuff in my hair, there was a lot of combing and yanking which I was not thrilled about!

G

I am wondering would it be ok if someone were to highlight their hair when it's thinning?

Maggie

Reaction score
Chemicals baddddd for hair

Personally I feel the less chemicals the better. My hair started thinning some 20 years ago when I wanted to get rid of my curls and have it straight. I didnt know that a relaxer was made of lye. It literally disolves your hair away. The cuticle that protects your hair(but also gives it curls) is removed and leaves your hair thin without any protection. Thats why it has a tendency to break afterwards, As far as dye... do chemicals like peroxide and amonia sound like they belong in your hair...especially if you have a problem...do your self a favor and give your hair a rest...just my opinion. :hairy:

dragonflygirl

Reaction score
go ahead

i think if you have Androgenetic Alopecia, and your hair is relatively strong you should be fine. a competant hairdresser (and it sounds like you've got yourself one) will know if it is safe to dye your hair. i do suggest non-permant or non-amnonia dyes. highlights will give the appearance of fuller hair. i had it done and was very happy with the results.

people do have hideous reactions to chemical straighteners and bleaching, but i wouldn't worry about some mild color.

G

Thankyou everyone for the responses....I feel a little bit better about adding a little color to my lifeless hair. Still a bit nervous but I definetly need a little color to lift my spirits.

thinning gal

Reaction score
Hi, I know how you feel about the lifeless hair! I'm 30 and have Androgenetic Alopecia :cry:
Have you given henna hair color any thoughts? It's all natural haircolor from plant extracts. Just a thought... There are some posts in this forum here, read the info. then you can make your decision. I feel the less chemicals the better, I'm a nervous type of person and I don't want to do anything that willl affect my hair negatively!!! Good luck and let us know what you decide!