Can i drop finasteride for this regimen? All experts help please!

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay here is why im asking if i can drop finasteride for this regimen below:

When i started finasteride about over 1 month ago i never noticed this but when i re-ordered finasteride for my second month supply it didnt come in time and i was off finasteride for 5 days. I noticed that when i was off finasteride for those days i felt more alive and my mind was clearer. I was myself and was in a good mood and felt enthousiastic about things. It was like the small cloud or fog i felt in my head while on finasteride was gone those days when i was off of it and things felt more clearer. Things that should exite me dont exite me as much while on finasteride. This was definitely different while i was off finasteride for those days. its like there was a small fog blocking the usuall way i am and how i feel and think while on finasteride. It was nothing major but it definitely made a difference and to tell you the truth i dont really like it. Has anybody else ever experienced what i am talking about while on finasteride? Will dutasteride make me feel the same way? Has anybody experienced this on finasteride but not on dutasteride?

Now do i want to lose anymore hair? NO definetly not and im seeing good regrowth on the hairline lately and i should be at norwood 1 status by 1 year or less i hope. My right temple/hairline area is almost there. I dont know if its the finasteride because i've only been on it for a little more than 1 month along with Prescription Proxiphen and Nano shampoo for the same time period. I've been on minoxidil for 5 months and switched to Xandrox 5 and 15 two months ago. So my question is what do i do? If i wait finasteride out will this feeling i have pass and will things return to normal? Is there something natural i can supplement to get rid of this feeling? Beleive me im not one of those crazy posters and im a real dude. This is not all in my head. Its REAL. And to be honest every drug you take i think will make you feel a bit different in someway.

If you guys and the experts could please help me out with this first topic i would really appreciate that a lot. I really want to resolve this issue and get some advice and help.

On to the second topic:

With this regimen could i drop finasteride and still continue to have thickeing,maintenance and regrowth in the long term for at least 10 more years untill HM or something comes out?

Xandrox 15 (night) - over whole scalp
Xandrox 5 (day) - over whole scalp
Prescription Proxiphen (night) - over whole scalp
Fluridil - over whole scalp

Shampoo's:
Dr.Lee's Regrowth shampoo -contains Nizoral 2% (M,W,F,)
Nano Shampoo & conditioner ( T,TH,S,)

If the experts would be able to help me out with this and offfer me advice,personal experience, help, i would really appreciate that. Thanks!

viperfish

Reaction score
My personal feeling is that you could drop finasteride with just the proxiphen. However, if you chose to use eucapil I think there is no question that you could drop the finasteride. Man, if propecia is making you not feel right is it really worth it?? However, I also think those sides may pass with time.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my opinion, get yourself a good pill cutter, cut the propecia into fourths, and try just taking .25mg. the regimen you listed above (w/o propecia) is a good one, but DHT will still poke its ugly head into the picture at some point because its not being inhibited to any significant degree. I think you might find that at this very lose dose of finasteride, you might relieve your side effects while still getting about 95% of the hair loss effectiveness of propecia. its a win-win situation. you may even want to slowly increase the dosage of finasteride (try added another .25 with each passing 2 months or so). The only thing is, make sure if you have a girlfriend/female friend around that she doesn't touch the cut pills!!!

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trent, thanks for that tip about using .25mg of Propecia. Im going to order some fluridil and try that aswell. So you think i will still get 95% of the hairloss fighting benifits of using .25mg's?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Read the study for yourself if you like.

Bryan's finasteride dosing range study

It seems .25mg of finasteride produces the same result as 1mg... atleast for the first year anyhow. It should be noted that there is a decent drop in DHT blood serum levels when you go from .25mg to .5mg... After .5mg the reduction in DHT is very gradual...

I would suggest taking .5mg of finasteride every other day if you ask me... Here is a chart that shows DHT blood serum levels at different doses of finasteride:

GRAPH8.GIF

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks socks for that study chart. So how less effective will taking .5mg every other day be than taking the regular 1mg per day? Will i still experience these mood alterations im having with this new .5mg dose every other day?Thanks!

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stax,

Impossible to say for sure how effective .5mg every other day will be compared to 1mg every day. My guess is they should be the same... Especially considering:

1. .25mg gave a very similar result to 1mg over the course of one-year.

2. .5mg and 1mg reduces DHT about the same (and keeps the DHT inhibited close to the same level using it every other day as opposed to every day).

So, if .25mg can do the job (atleast for one-year) and .5mg reduces DHT nearly the same as 1mg I think it would be safe to guess the result will be the same.

As far as how the lower dose might help with your side-effects that is impossible to say for sure as well... You'll just have to give it a 3 month trial and see how it goes.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Socks, thanks a lot for your help. Im going to order some fluridil and once that arrives im going to switch to 0.5mg eod and hopefully things will work out. Thanks again!

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
stax said:
Socks, thanks a lot for your help. Im going to order some fluridil and once that arrives im going to switch to 0.5mg eod and hopefully things will work out. Thanks again!

Good luck!

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Ive had similar experiences as you while off of finasteride for a few days. Ive been taking the med for about 9 months now, and every time that ive taken a few days off, ive experienced mood elevation. Personally, I wont stop taking finasteride even with such side effects. I dunno if any combinations of medications will work as well, but its worth a shot. I mean there is a noticeable difference in mood off the medication and that should be enough for me to want to experiment with another regimen, but Im a bit scared to stop taking finasteride. Id probably feel much worse if my hair goes to hell. On the other hand, maybe if I was off finasteride, i would feel so swell that i wouldn give have half a sh*t about hairloss who knows (i doubt it). Good Luck with whatevr you do.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
markelbentley said:
Hey,

Ive had similar experiences as you while off of finasteride for a few days. Ive been taking the med for about 9 months now, and every time that ive taken a few days off, ive experienced mood elevation. Personally, I wont stop taking finasteride even with such side effects. I dunno if any combinations of medications will work as well, but its worth a shot. I mean there is a noticeable difference in mood off the medication and that should be enough for me to want to experiment with another regimen, but Im a bit scared to stop taking finasteride. Id probably feel much worse if my hair goes to hell. On the other hand, maybe if I was off finasteride, i would feel so swell that i wouldn give have half a sh*t about hairloss who knows (i doubt it). Good Luck with whatevr you do.

you saying you felt alot better off of finasteride.?? This has crossed my mind a few times ... like if finasteride is supressing my mood.. if i would be different than if i didnt take this drug everyday. hmm

viperfish

Reaction score
Socks,
Do you have a really sensitive scalp? If you do I would only order one box of eucapil to begin with. It was bothering my scalp a little, but now it seems to be ok. Eucapil is about 90+% isopropyl alcohol.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, yeah there is definetly a mood elevstion when im off finasteride. Its like i jump out of my shell more and this little cloudyness in my head is gone. finasteride definetly surpresses your mood. When you experience what it feels like when you're off the drug for a few days once you get back on it you can definetly feel a bit of a difference and you feel a bit different. Of course you should though its a powerfull drug and there is no way you can take it and feel the exact same as you do when youre not on any drugs. But im definetly not going to stop taking finasteride though. Im going to stick it out for 5 more months on 1mg per day and if these feelings dont pass then i might try 0.5mg per day than at the very least 0.5mg eod. If i did this than i would definetly start Fluridil aswell. I think i would be way more down in the dumps if i lost my hair so hopfully these stem cells will be perfected in 5-6 years time or a new breakthrough topical formula comes along so we can all drop finasteride. Its not that finasteride makes me depressed but im just dont quite feel out of my shell and my usual outgoing self on finasteride. Hopefully this will pass. Thanks for yout input guys and good luck!

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
Falloutboy,

Now that I think about it, I only started to really notice mood issues after reading someone's post about finasteride's adverse effects on mood. I still think that it has an effect, but to what degree, who knows.