Can hair thinning ever halt significantly if it starts at a very young age?

rcz748

Reaction score
Hey all, so currently my hair is slightly past an NW2, except the rest of the hair on the top of my head has been starting to thin out recently too. It's not too serious and not obvious at all, but I can kind of see a difference, especially on the front part of my head. I'm only 17, so I'm only using minoxidil on my hairline as well as nizoral shampoo (It's been about 1.5 months). It's too early to see results just yet, and I think I shed enough that my hairline is now patchier, but as of now my hair is no longer falling out that much. Is it possible that I will lose a significant amount of hair again before I'm 18 in May and old enough for finasteride (I plan to take 0.25 mg daily if needed, to reduce side effects)? Or is it possible that my hair loss/thinning will not show up again until years later?

I know some people have a receding hairline in their teens, and it just "matures" and stops there, but if more of my hair thinned by just a little bit, does that mean it definitely won't slow down? My hair is not too bad right now, and I just want to finish high school and maybe get through some college before it comes back and I'm serious about meds. My dad began his hair loss around age 30, and is now around a norwood 5, if that means anything. None of my other relatives have significant hair loss. You can see my other thread for pictures.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry kid, you got the gift. Better start saying those prayers for a hair loss cure.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
most of the time it will not stop
My hairloss started around the same time as you and during my denial period I was always thinking it would magically stop there. One year later I can see how wrong I was

hmm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss seems to come in waves, and it does slow down as you get older. Unfortunately by then the damage is done. Best you can do when this young is take finasteride and hold on and hope you get out with a decent amount left. At least you are starting early with treatment so you have a better chance.

abcdefg

Reaction score
In medicine anything is possible, but I would not count on male pattern baldness stopping on its own or slowing down by itself. It usually keeps on going probably faster if anything as you age.

rcz748

Reaction score
Ok, it looks like I can't just hope for the best. Here are the pictures of my current hair. I am definitely going to try finasteride when I turn 18 in around 4 months, but I'm afraid that I would have lost too much by then. Should I ask about it now? I developed pretty early, and given that I am close to done growing, would you guys recommend me trying it out now? Like I said, I'll take 0.25mg every day, and will stop if i get obvious side effects.

DSC03132.jpgDSC03131.jpgDSC03130.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad yet but good thing you noticed it early..I doubt your hair will get much worse with you waiting 4 months, but then again I don't think waiting until youre officially 18 to start will give you much less chance of side effects, if youre someone that's going to get them.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt waiting 4 months will really matter in terms of side effects... personally i recommend starting asap because the odds of you developing side effects are virtually the same between now and 4 months from now, the only difference will be how much hair you lose in the meantime while you are waiting.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss seems to come in waves, and it does slow down as you get older. Unfortunately by then the damage is done. Best you can do when this young is take finasteride and hold on and hope you get out with a decent amount left. At least you are starting early with treatment so you have a better chance.

+1
Don't think it was stop forever..mine has always come in waves or stages. Receding at 17, then slowing / stopping to the point I though I was ok. Then I was surprised to find it starting in crown around 35. It has stopped and started again since then. Probably will never truly stop till I reach uncle/grandfather stage of 6.

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
OP, i was in your same condition a 18, maybe a little better, I did fine until 26, at 26 i had only a little portion of the crown with serious problem (like i had to be care to the wind and strong light in crown spot), int he last 2 years everything is falling on top (i'm still decent anyway) so for 6-7 years you can have a life at least, ENJOY THIS TIME, DO YOUR ****GI BEST and start treatment before 23 but not before 20-21 (you are still growing up) if possible and it's not an extremely aggressive alopecia, do blood test every year at least