Can hair moult for no particular reason?

Jill

Reaction score
Hello! Newbie here and I wondered if anyone could help me out?

Does anyone know if it's possible for your hair to go through a "moulting phase" without there being any significant cause?

I ask this b/c many years ago, when I was about 11, my long, thick hair went through a very heavy shedding period. It came out when I washed, brushed, when I ran my fingers through it and I also kept finding loose strands all over my clothes and furniture. After a few weeks it became noticeably thinner (although there were no thinned out patches on the scalp itself just the hair in general became thin) so my mother enquired at the local hairdresser and pharmacy and they both said that it was fairly common and nothing unusual for hair to sometimes go through a heavy shedding phase and that it was nothing to worry about. Anway, a short while later, the shedding stopped and my hair returned to it's former full thickness.

Then a couple of years later at about 14, it happened again. Several weeks of moulting before returning to normal.

Now, a lengthy 14yrs later, at 26... and yep, it's started again. Last week I noticed more hair in the basin after washing than usual and lots of strands over my hands. Now for the past week I've been doing nothing but run my fingers through it and coming away with anything between 2-6 hairs almost every time. It's mostly happening at the lower back and sides, not particularly at the front or crown. Although today, I have had more out of the crown than ususal.

I just inspected my sideburns with a comb and I'm thinking they are starting to look thinner which is not surprising as this seems to be where most of the shedding is occurring. I know it's been a long gap since it last shed and I was a kid/teen at the time but I wondered if I could be prone to involuntary shedding for no reason.

I had a routine blood test 5 months ago and would have assumed that if there was any underlying cause to this current shedding, that it would have possibly been picked up on that. Also, I do suffer fron pretty bad dandruff which is somewhat under control after being on a 4-week course of Nizoral.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any knowledge to impart or who has experienced or is currently experiencing the same thing. I would really appreciate any info.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have a case of dandruff, or is it more serious. Could it be sebborrehic dermatitis. Seb derm includes itchy, itchy scalp, an oily feeling, which builds up to kind of crustiness.
It definitely contributes to hair loss.

Keep using the Nizoral. Also, my derm gave me a scrip for Lidex. It helps get the scalp back to health. It comes in gel, lotion or cream, and is applied in the evening and left on overnight.

Whatever you do use, keep using it. And start using the products(s) at the FIRST sign of it coming back.