Can Gene Editing (crispr Cas9 Etc.)will Cure Male Pattern Baldness?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
We have been hearing hairloss solution or cure for almost decades and nothing concrete has happened or happening right now. As most would agree that any syndrome ,disease or characters of any living beings is mostly genetically defined.
Genes responsible for baldness have identified long before . genetic testing companies now offers gene test to access ones risk of going bald .
CRISPR cas9 is latest buzz in gene editing world and clinical is already started in USA and China. The trillion doller industry ahead of this new way of curing diseases is pushing it even further and making gene editing more precise without aide effects.
I want to know what you people thing about gene editing? Is it the only solution left to treat baldness? BC chemical use and drug use is no way near cure ,probably drug cure will require another 100 years to come because of slow progress in this area . what's say?

inmyhead

Reaction score
We have been hearing hairloss solution or cure for almost decades and nothing concrete has happened or happening right now. As most would agree that any syndrome ,disease or characters of any living beings is mostly genetically defined.
Genes responsible for baldness have identified long before . genetic testing companies now offers gene test to access ones risk of going bald .
CRISPR cas9 is latest buzz in gene editing world and clinical is already started in USA and China. The trillion doller industry ahead of this new way of curing diseases is pushing it even further and making gene editing more precise without aide effects.
I want to know what you people thing about gene editing? Is it the only solution left to treat baldness? BC chemical use and drug use is no way near cure ,probably drug cure will require another 100 years to come because of slow progress in this area . what's say?

You don't know what you are talking about.:)

Fuji Maru Kagurazaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello! I am Fuji Maru Kagurazaka.
I live in Tokyo, Japan. Thank you.

It is a company that is researching genetic editing technology.
I do not know except Sangamo.

"Hair Loss Cure JAPAN" 15th June 2018
『Successfully inactivating alopecia genes by genome editing! What? Sangamo』
http://hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-124.html
Sangamo-Therapeutics-Inc-2012-06.jpg

May God bless your scalp!

kagurazakafujimaru.jpg

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss ist multifactorial, spanning over many secotors on our genome. Even tho we can predict baldness well enough by looking at the genetic code we don't understand anything about changing it.
On top of that it's difficult to change the genetic code in adults. It's possible, there are gene therapies but only for single, well understood genes, not the chaos that male pattern baldness is.

So not likely.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score

It is a company that is researching genetic editing technology.
I do not know except Sangamo.

"Hair Loss Cure JAPAN" 15th June 2018
『Successfully inactivating alopecia genes by genome editing! What? Sangamo』
http://hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-124.html
View attachment 101058

View attachment 101059
I wasn't aware about use of gene editing in hairloss treatment. Thanks for informing. As someone said I know gene editing has long way to go to be perfectly effective.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
What gene would you target?
There are many genes involved indeed. But few genes have more effect on hairs. Many risk SNPs have been identified and not only these gene variant cause baldness but also predisposes a person to other diseases like heart ailments and some cancers esp prostate. Baldness is also linked to metabolic diseases so genetic cure would be beneficial for overall health not just hairloss. Polygenic diseases are difficult to cure because of complex interaction of genes giving rise to specific disorder or disease. But editing genes by astonishing precision is such a hope . so I was wondering this crisps Cas9 thing one day would solve hairloss problem .

Fuji Maru Kagurazaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I studied about Sangamo, but my brain did not understand (LOL)

kagurazakafujimaru.jpg

Fuji Maru Kagurazaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I think that genes related to the activity of reductase 5α should be manipulated.

kagurazakafujimaru.jpg

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss ist multifactorial, spanning over many secotors on our genome. Even tho we can predict baldness well enough by looking at the genetic code we don't understand anything about changing it.
On top of that it's difficult to change the genetic code in adults. It's possible, there are gene therapies but only for single, well understood genes, not the chaos that male pattern baldness is.

So not likely.
New gene editing tools can correct a single nucleotide error. If we could edit one gene why wouldn't we edit entire genome.? You are not aware about gene editing potentials and what is going on in this area. Make yourself updated.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score

So not likely.

If one looks at the many different types of hairloss and also how it impacts male vs female and the broad range of severity, this multifactorial concept seems sound. We can't even identify all the loci on the human genome that might be involved. From the British study, earlier this year, they identified over two hundred possible sites involved. And then I wonder if some may exclusively reside on the sex-linked chromosome. And where they reside elsewhere could be subject to other adjacent influences. I would just like to know what genetic scientists exactly do and do not know at this point in time. None seem motivated to put anything on Youtube for us unfortunately.