Can finasteride maintain what was grown with minoxidil?

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I'm starting to take finasteride. My question is: If finasteride is a success at maintaining what I have, then would it be possible to take minoxidil with finasteride for the first year, discontinue using it, then rely on the finasteride to keep what I grew with the minoxidil?

I'm asking bc I don't understand why finasteride wouldn't be able to keep what was grown with other treatments. Many successul regimens for regrowth can be a burden. If finasteride could maintain what other treatments could grow, then maybe it would be a smart strategy to go "all out" on the first year and then fall back to a much easier one pill a day regimen to keep what was worked hard for on year one. Basically, has anyone tried or considered a regrowth first, then maintain regimen?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
finasteride and MIN are INDIVIDUAL lifelong commitments

meaning the gains you get from one
will not carry over to maintain the gains of the other

the reason is finasteride and MIN work differently

finasteride is an DHT suppressor

while MIN is a vasodilator (growth stimulant)

in summation the gains you acquired from using both finasteride and MIN
will decrease if you discontinue using MIN or even finasteride for that matter

Established Member
Reaction score
I know they work differently...But why wouldn't finasteride be able to maintain what a growth stimulant was able to produce? If propecia can suppress dht to prevent further hairloss, then why would the hairs grown from minoxidil fall out?

What I'm wondering is if propecia halts all further damage to hairs, but some will not grow back because they have been weakened too much by the damage they have already sustained, then maybe minoxidil can stimulate the weakened ones enough to make them strong enough to grow normally under the protection of propecia.

If I would have started propecia 2 years ago, then some would say I would have kept some of the hairs I have lost since then. If I use minoxidil to regrow some of those hairs I have lost, then why wouldn't propecia maintain those same hairs that I would have maintained anways had i been on propecia for 2 years?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
This issue has been discussed a lot over the years on hairloss sites, and it's been firmly established not only by user anecdotes, but also even by a case study reported in a medical journal that finasteride alone CANNOT always maintain hair that was previously regrown by minoxidil.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you see results you will not wantt o even risk dropping the minoxidil.

You can get foam for $12/month if you look around

azyx

Reaction score
i buy 5% kirkland 12 x 60ml minoxidil for 55$ = 40 euro *international shippings included ! from ebay! Pretty Cheap! And it works great!
U can also dissolve %5 60ml minoxidil in 40ml ethanol to take 100ml 3% minoxidil to cut cost!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
Money is hardly the issue for most people using minoxidil.

Funny, I've seen guys on forums talk about using liquid minoxidil once a day to save money.

Good to know you are up on everyone's finances thoughn, lol