Can Finasteride Cause Sleep Issues?

Zacruz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I already have a difficult time sleeping and was wondering if finasteride could worsen this.

Jordan_london

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have historically had an issue with booze and my sleep used to suffered as a result of that, however I squared that away about 9 months ago and have been sleeping well since then but since I've been on Finaseride my sleep has been ds.

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have historically had an issue with booze and my sleep used to suffered as a result of that, however I squared that away about 9 months ago and have been sleeping well since then but since I've been on Finaseride my sleep has been ds.
ds? to what extent?

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never seen any evidence in clinical trials or any reviews or meta-analysis that finasteride affects sleep. I do remember reading a study on the effect of 5ARs on sleep spindles and the study saw no change. Anecdotally, finasteride hasn't affected my sleep.

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys need to stop typing like that. Theories, anecdotes... the drug is a T blocker that damages neurosteroid production and inhibits pituitary gland function. And you think it doesn’t affect one’a sleep? Try learning what pituitary is, what functions Finasteride has once taken orally and you won’t need a dumb study to tell you what goes on.
Biology is a difficult subject, and people like yourself who have a chip on their shoulder and play armchair scientist don't understand that correlation doesn't imply causation and form strong opinions based on what they think is logical. That's why it's important to stick with the scientific evidence, or lack thereof, to help guide us. Scientists understand the larger picture and actively test biological responses using the scientific method, then they talk about these results among each other (peer review), and then create their own reviews and analysis breaking down the information and contributing their own personal knowledge. That's why it's important to stay away from anecdotal evidence and pseudoscience like you're offering and lean on biological studies for reference instead.

Jordan_london

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, I am not going to get involved in the argument.

But, I had my blood work done about 9 months ago and my male hormone level take. I was in range for my age so it would be interesting to go back and compare what they are now.

Jordan_london

My Regimen
Reaction score
Judging by your face, your T levels must have fled a long time ago, way before you started finasteride.

I'm not sure what I done to you to make you want to personally insult me. But I am glad you did. I lets everyone else know what kind of person you are.

anton7

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had insomnia on and off before taking Finasteride. Can't say that it made it worse. It only takes me 2 nights in a row to stay up late and then it takes me a couple of weeks to fix my sleeping patterns.

g.i joey

Reaction score
If I take finasteride too late at night it definitely effects my sleep. I always wake up an hour or so earlier than I’m supposed to and sometimes I just can’t get back to sleep. It’s very minimal so I don’t really care but I’ve definitely noticed it

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I take finasteride too late at night it definitely effects my sleep. I always wake up an hour or so earlier than I’m supposed to and sometimes I just can’t get back to sleep. It’s very minimal so I don’t really care but I’ve definitely noticed it
how's finasteride main aim effeciency? it helped? any other sides? how long u been on it? takin any sups?

Budskii

Reaction score
I just dropped Finasteride after 4 years of use. Looking back, I've realised I either don't dream or can't remember them when I wake up. I dropped it because In the past week, I couldn't sleep 3 nights in a row (0 hours of sleep!), now on sleeping pills .. hopefully I can sleep after a few days. Insomnia is very common among people on propeciahelp. Finasteride also made my anxiety worse and had depressive symptoms. Not worth it just for hair. When you dream is when REM sleep happens (repair of body etc) ... i hope I haven't starved my body of REM sleep for years

Last edited:

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
most common reported sleep order under finasteride seems to be that you cant mantain sleep and always wake up earlier...

its similar to sleeping problems parkinson patients report .... and we know there a similarities between parkinson and finasterid regarding the effecr on the brain - both f*** with your dopamin in the brain

"Unlike many older adults, patients with Parkinson’s disease often find that they have no trouble initiating sleep, but often wake up within a few hours and find sleeping through the rest of the night to be difficult."

http://pdcenter.neurology.ucsf.edu/patients-guide/sleep-and-parkinsons-disease

"Sudden Decline in Testosterone May Cause Parkinson’s Disease Symptoms in Men

While scientists use different toxins and a number of complex genetic approaches to model Parkinson’s disease in mice, we have found that the sudden drop in the levels of testosterone following castration is sufficient to cause persistent Parkinson’s like pathology and symptoms in male mice,” said Dr. Kalipada Pahan, lead author of the study and the Floyd A. Davis endowed professor of neurology at Rush. “We found that the supplementation of testosterone in the form of 5-alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT) pellets reverses Parkinson’s pathology in male mice.”"

https://www.rush.edu/news/press-rel...one-may-cause-parkinsons-disease-symptoms-men

what is very disturbing that in some cases these sidw effects of finasteride stay even after quiting or even just occur first after quiting. prinably due to permanent damage of the receptors in the brain

"
A growing body of research is offering clues about why finasteride might cause these symptoms in a subset of men. It suggests the enzyme that Propecia shuts down—5-alpha-reductase—does a lot more than convert testosterone to the hair-killing dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It also converts hormones like cortisol and progesterone into "neurosteroids" that play key roles in the brain.

"One recent study published in Neuroendocrinology found that after 20 days of finasteride exposure, male rats showed altered levels of a whole host of neurosteroids and receptors in their brains. Thirty days after going off the drug, the changes were more pronounced than when they were on the drug.

Studies in humans have only just begun, at Baylor, Boston University, and elsewhere, so it's way too early to draw firm conclusions. But the theory surrounding what some patients call "the crash" goes something like this: Cells in the brain and genitals are starved of important hormones while on the drug, so they grow more receptors to sop up all that they can get. Once the drug is discontinued, the hormones come flooding back with more than the cells can handle, which hurts or kills them. "Essentially, the cells get too much DHT, it puts them in overdrive and it burns them out," says Jacobs. So even if the body starts making all those missing compounds again, the tissue has trouble using them"

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...y-behind-americas-best-selling-hair-loss-drug

Last edited: