Can finasteride and dutasteride increase androgen receptor sensitivity?

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No.
But now I have gyno because of cyproterone and estradiol used for some months because I was desperate :/
how long did u stay (or are u still) on duta?

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 10 years at 1 to 2mg a day. And now I'm using "only" 0.5mg .... and I'm losing my hair, I can see the disaster week after week (I'm shaved). In a year I will be totally bald o_O
damn, that was a big dosage. For you to be using it for that long, means that at least it had a slow down effect (dunno if u had regrowth). When dutasteride doesn't work, idk what does (Maybe Im native into thinking dutasteride is really the Atom bomb in the Hairloss war) and so i'm reluctant to even advise other treatment but...
Give cetirizine topical a try if you are open to try something new (if you havent already). It's a good pgd2 killer. It's dirt cheap and no mad (or any) side effects. Just a possible disappointment at worst.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I lowered my dutasteride dose to "only" 0.5mg a day ... and sometimes I miss a day. And itchy scalp is insane lol. Worse than on Finasteride.

I do believe in androgen receptors upregulation theory, I can't prove it.

And I don't want to take 1 or 2mg again, no sex drive for 10 years was enough.

When you experience more itchy and hair loss on finasteride after some time be careful. Increase the dose or take something stronger might not be the best idea. Hormonal route can mess up your body ... I hope something less risky will come out soon.

Well, if the body upregulates due 5ar inhibitors we might as well kill ourselves, it would mean treatments are useless, since in X years it will just go faster. I hope that is not the case.

Personally my scalp itch goes up when I dont use the minoxidil+finasteride foam.

In any case if there is upregulation then eventually this twin should start going bald fast:

twins-hair-loss-main-photo.jpg

But he seems to be doing well. This is his latest pic:

http://www.twinshairloss.com/gallery/2016/2016-1.html

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i had regrowth, but no sex drive at all for 10 years.
In 2015 a lot of guys tried pgd2 killers I never saw impressive results since then. I hope Fevi will be a game changer.
So, you mean that the last impressive results were from pgd2 killers or that you simply didnt see any results? What I got from the cetirizine thing is that it was talked about in german hair loss forums and got some positive results in reviving "dead" hair follicules and all sorts of theories came up but the subject died for a reason and that is, like always, the lack of results.

Idk where I "red" that being on dutasteride instead of being on a topical regimen is way easier because "you just have to pop one pill in the morning and you are done".
That simple little fact is more important than we can imagine. Maybe topical treatments don't work as they should because of lack of daily commitment? I talk by personal experience and I'm sure everyone can relate. It's because you forgot to "dermarolle" or you want to skip a daily usage of minoxidil because you dont want your hair messed about. Or even somtimes you look at the mirror, see no improvement and be like "why even bother :(?" I still believe in that the future great hairloss treatment will be some sort of slow release drugs under the skin (in our scalp)...
DHT is produced in the skin so I think it makes sense to have the drug slowly released in our scalp and scalp only. I state here that It's possible to have an local DHT blocker that doesnt go systemic :) (vote for me) .

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. My last impressive results were from Dutasteride 1-2mg/day .... and when I added oral minoxidil (5mg). My results got worse when I took Spironolacone and then later Cyproterone :/
I wish local DHT blockers were really effective for me (I tried RU) ... but I think a non hormonal approche is better and maybe less risky.
ru is expensive af... that's the sad reason it probably isn't more widely used

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying androgen receptors upregulation will happen to every guy under dutasteride or other anti androgens. I think it's a pretty rare reaction to AA.
A lot of MTF are on HRT for years and no problem with their androgen receptors ...
But they are on massive amounts of estrogens at unhealthy levels for a male.