Can Dutasteride Slow The Rate Of Hair Growth

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly 3 months in on dutasteride and over the past month it looks like my overall hair growth rate has diminished significantly. For as long as I can remember I get my haircut every 4-5 weeks. This is when my length starts to look pretty crappy and needs to be cleaned up. But I’m at 4 weeks now since my last cut and the length is nowhere near where it typically would be at this point. Can dutasteride impact the rate of growth? It almost feels like my hair was longer last week even though i know that’s impossible. I am thinning along the hairline, forelock and temples so maybe my hair loss is contributing to the illusion that it’s not growing? Would appreciate anyone’s experience with this and any thoughts on whether this is a good sign or a precursor to more hair fall. Thanks.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not that I've ever heard.
Huh. Ok. My hairline and temples have definitely thinned out this month as well as the hair in my forelock so its possible that this is making it look like growth has slowed. I had more density just 10 days ago. I can’t even style my hair the same way as I did a week ago because my hairs are so thin and weak in the front. At this point it seems that nothing is going to stop the progression. Never thought I’d lose this much ground in 20 months on anti androgens.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Huh. Ok. My hairline and temples have definitely thinned out this month as well as the hair in my forelock so its possible that this is making it look like growth has slowed. I had more density just 10 days ago. I can’t even style my hair the same way as I did a week ago because my hairs are so thin and weak in the front. At this point it seems that nothing is going to stop the progression. Never thought I’d lose this much ground in 20 months on anti androgens.

Just stick with it. Finasteride has definitely helped me but there have been times when I thought it wasn't, and that I was getting worse.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly 3 months in on dutasteride and over the past month it looks like my overall hair growth rate has diminished significantly. For as long as I can remember I get my haircut every 4-5 weeks. This is when my length starts to look pretty crappy and needs to be cleaned up. But I’m at 4 weeks now since my last cut and the length is nowhere near where it typically would be at this point. Can dutasteride impact the rate of growth? It almost feels like my hair was longer last week even though i know that’s impossible. I am thinning along the hairline, forelock and temples so maybe my hair loss is contributing to the illusion that it’s not growing? Would appreciate anyone’s experience with this and any thoughts on whether this is a good sign or a precursor to more hair fall. Thanks.
I take dutasteride also.
I feel like my hair doesn't grow as fast as it did before I started....but maybe it's all in my head?
i dunno.
There's no study I've seen that shows finasteride or dutasteride slowing hair growth

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take dutasteride also.
I feel like my hair doesn't grow as fast as it did before I started....but maybe it's all in my head?
i dunno.
There's no study I've seen that shows finasteride or dutasteride slowing hair growth
Were you originally on finasteride before dutasteride? If so what was your experience?

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you originally on finasteride before dutasteride? If so what was your experience?
yes. I took finasteride for about 1.5 years before switching to dutasteride.
dutasteride works. I dont have much hair fall anymore...if any.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes. I took finasteride for about 1.5 years before switching to dutasteride.
dutasteride works. I dont have much hair fall anymore...if any.
Why did you switch? I was on finasteride for 1.5 years as well but lost ground the whole time. How long on dutasteride did it take for your hair loss to stop?

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you switch? I was on finasteride for 1.5 years as well but lost ground the whole time. How long on dutasteride did it take for your hair loss to stop?
finasteride worked fine for me. The hairloss stopped while I was on it...but it didnt help regrow my crown.
So I switched to dutasteride in hopes of regrowing my crown.
My crown is still not filled in yet though.

Are you on minoxidil?

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride worked fine for me. The hairloss stopped while I was on it...but it didnt help regrow my crown.
So I switched to dutasteride in hopes of regrowing my crown.
My crown is still not filled in yet though.

Are you on minoxidil?

Not currently. I was on minoxidil 2x a day for 8 months (stopped mornings because it became impossible to style without looking terrible) and then 1x per day for the next 11 months. Always just at the temples, hairline/forelock as that is where I’m losing hair. I stopped completely because I was sick of the dark circles under my eyes and since I continued to recede and get no regrowth I didn’t see the point. In looking back at older photos my temples seemed to be a little better before I stopped 2x a day and then again before I stopped completely. So maybe it was helping to slow things down and in hindsight perhaps I should have stuck with it. But it’s probable my hairline would’ve eventually ended up where It is regardless. I am tempted to jump back on in combination with my derminator and the duta but I’m not sure I want to send my hairline back into a shock. Plus in reading about the Follica protocol I think this would be very difficult to replicate at home. I did spend a few months in 2019 doing needling sessions with minoxidil applied 12 hours later but I thought I thought it actually made my hair worse so I dropped it.

good to hear that you maintained on finasteride and then again on dutasteride even though your crown has not filled in. I’ve actually noticed that my crown seems a bit thicker since I started dutasteride but it had only gotten some mild thinning there previously. I assume you’re using minoxidil on the crown and still no regrowth?

I have heard some reports of guys getting better results with dutasteride than finasteride but it seems like the majority don’t get results on dutasteride if they failed finasteride and I’m really hoping I don’t fall into that category.