Can Dutasteride Cause Hair Loss? Or Does Recover From Shedding Get Better?

NSix

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I began Avodart about 4-ish months ago. Previously I was taking Propecia for 4 years.

During the summer I noticed my temple points receding A LOT, so I made the switch.

I honestly can't say there's been any improvement at 4 months with Dutasteride.

Then again, I was only LOSING hair on Finasteride too!

Is there any evidence that Dutasteride causes hair loss (ie via telogen effluvian)?

Are Dutasteride sheds just awful and eventually recover?

Thanks

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar boat. Finasteride for 5 yrs and switched to Dutasteride 9 months ago. It’s odd that I feel like my hair is thinner now, especially in the front behind the hairline. The area I wanted to address was my crown because I never had issues in the front. I want to give it a year (June) but not sure what to try next if it’s not working.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride caused me AR upregulation. It was horrible. dutasteride can definetly cause hair loss, and alot of people destroyed their hair when switched from finasteride to dutasteride. It's so weird.

Jamiemason123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just chipping in with my experience. I was successfully on finasteride for 9 years but then switched to dutasteride after ruling out any possibility that finasteride was still working (I waited too long). I was losing my frontal third on finasteride and I’m still losing it at roughly the same or slightly lower rate on dutasteride. I think it works amazingly at the back but after a certain point nothing can hold the front. I am now using RU 5% on the front. Unsure if it’s having any effect but I’ve heard that’s the most that can be done. From my research it seems that after finasteride has stopped working dutasteride may not be much better, rather than it actually causing hair loss. I’d recommend staying on it.
In answer to your questions, if it’s still early days it could be a shed. I had a big dutasteride shed at the back month 1-2 but it returned at month 4.
If it’s telogen effluvian you’re probs best to stay on it as this hair should return within 6 months