Can Drinking Green Tea Make You Lose Hair?

Roses

Established Member
Reaction score
I like drinking green tea, looked online and it's mentioned that it could have an influence on male pattern baldness. Is this the case or total bs?

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
The case that's made is that it combats hair loss not that it aggravates the matter

Roses

Established Member
Reaction score
Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5α-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT. Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively. The combination of SPC and green tea reduced serum levels of DHT (P < 0.05)."

thefilmmaker

My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply green tea on my hair because it cleans the scalp and promote hair growth + it’s on the list of foods and drinks that lows DHT

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5α-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT. Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively. The combination of SPC and green tea reduced serum levels of DHT (P < 0.05)."

So you're saying black tea is good but green tea is bad? I've read conflicting things about green tea tbh. Some say it promotes hair growth others say the opposite. Either way I'm not sure it has a massive influence on hair loss/regrowth. There are other factors that are more important.

Roses

Established Member
Reaction score
So you're saying black tea is good but green tea is bad? I've read conflicting things about green tea tbh. Some say it promotes hair growth others say the opposite. Either way I'm not sure it has a massive influence on hair loss/regrowth. There are other factors that are more important.
Everything I read about black is good, always saying it reduces dht. Green tea is too controversial. Guess I'll have to give it up.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, diet generally does NOT affect your hair. Supplements might if bioavailability is given (ie curcumin lands to 99% in your piss), but they are also an abnormal dose you will not reach with a normal diet.