Can Dermarolling Above 1.5mm Cause Damage

the wizard

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've started using the 36 needles dr. pen dermapen weekly at 1.5mm for about a month now. I'm thinking about changing it to 1.75mm. My question is - it is ok, or can it potentially cause damage?

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
1.5mm is recommended for wounding and once per week only, where as 1mm is for the scalp and recommended every other day.....

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would just stick to daily rolling before applying minoxidil at 1mm or so. I have seen the best results from that compared to needling heavily now and again.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1.5mm is recommended for wounding and once per week only, where as 1mm is for the scalp and recommended every other day.....
microneedling everyday 1mm?? you should give it time to heal

jazz1

Reaction score
microneedling everyday 1mm?? you should give it time to heal

Check, I said every other day and again no wounding light firm pressure. I guess you right in some way, I just ordered new derma rollers as you suppose to change them and mine are some bent over time! I guess il switch to 0.5mm ever other day and 1mm once per week, although I have used 1mm for years without any issues every other day.

This is what online states:

A 0.2mm or 0.3mm derma roller can be used with minoxidil/hair loss treatment every day or every other day (start by using every other day and see how your skin reacts to the minoxidil/hair loss treatment; if you do not experience any side effects you can increase to using every day).
A 0.5mm derma roller can be used with or without minoxidil/hair loss treatment 2-3 times a week.
A 1.0mm derma roller used without minoxidil/hair loss treatment can be used once a week to once a fortnight.

https://glowupskincare.co.uk/pages/derma-roller-for-hair-loss

Last edited:

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check, I said every other day and again no wounding light firm pressure. I guess you right in some way, I just ordered new derma rollers as you suppose to change them and mine are some bent over time! I guess il switch to 0.5mm ever other day and 1mm once per week, although I have used 1mm for years without any issues every other day.

This is what online states:

A 0.2mm or 0.3mm derma roller can be used with minoxidil/hair loss treatment every day or every other day (start by using every other day and see how your skin reacts to the minoxidil/hair loss treatment; if you do not experience any side effects you can increase to using every day).
A 0.5mm derma roller can be used with or without minoxidil/hair loss treatment 2-3 times a week.
A 1.0mm derma roller used without minoxidil/hair loss treatment can be used once a week to once a fortnight.

https://glowupskincare.co.uk/pages/derma-roller-for-hair-loss
I actually just found out that every other day means every second day. Im not a native speaker, I thought it basically meant everyday, or 'almost everyday'. well..... anyway, if it works for you why not. I just think it is too much effort - in addition to the pain (even with low depth), it is required cleaning the roller with alcohol everytime and dry it, and walking around constantly with a red scalp and all this. 2 times a week I think should be max.

jazz1

Reaction score
I actually just found out that every other day means every second day. Im not a native speaker, I thought it basically meant everyday, or 'almost everyday'. well..... anyway, if it works for you why not. I just think it is too much effort - in addition to the pain (even with low depth), it is required cleaning the roller with alcohol everytime and dry it, and walking around constantly with a red scalp and all this. 2 times a week I think should be max.

Trust me it does work my forehead has tons of small hairs.

jazz1

Reaction score
But how long have you been doing this?

Roughly about 2 years now 1mm every other day, I have switched to 0.5mm now every other day and 1mm once per week. I will also do 1.5mm twice per month, as a good derma roller and fairly cheap that has not pulled my hair yet is this new one I bought recently ZGTS. The doctor one and others, which I have used are very expensive seem to pull my hair when it grows long.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Roughly about 2 years now 1mm every other day, I have switched to 0.5mm now every other day and 1mm once per week. I will also do 1.5mm twice per month, as a good derma roller and fairly cheap that has not pulled my hair yet is this new one I bought recently ZGTS. The doctor one and others, which I have used are very expensive seem to pull my hair when it grows long.
So I hope you got some better results than some small hairs on the forehead during this time?

jazz1

Reaction score
So I hope you got some better results than some small hairs on the forehead during this time?

That depends on how you stabilised the hairloss? Than you can use hair oils and folligen copper peptide cream to turn those vellus hairs terminal......

I use:

Folligen Cream once per week
Divine herbal oils twice per week

My hairloss regime is legit and strong hence I have held my hair for a very long time.

glen_jai

Reaction score
Trust me it does work my forehead has tons of small hairs.
Hey bud,
Any reason you didn't continue with dermarolling 1mm EOD if it was working for you?
Also, would you mind sharing your regime?

I quit min about 3 months ago as I found wrinkles and ridges on my scalp and some people said it can be caused by minoxidil.
I was on it for about 10 years till then.
My regime now includes 1.5mm dermarolling every 3 to 4 days. Scalp massage once a morning for about 10 minutes. And hand stand every day for about 90 seconds (as I can't hold it any longer).

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At 1.2 mm I get blood on my temples but not on my crown. I wouldn't recommend chemical topical application directly after if you're seeing any blood. I would not do deep micro-needling again until all soreness is gone. "Dermarolling" is hard to determine real Depth. I know you have a pen but some commenters obviously have a roller. You can have 2mm "demaroller" but if you are not putting much force you are not going 2mm. If you're seeing blood I feel you probably don't want to go much further.

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey bud,
Any reason you didn't continue with dermarolling 1mm EOD if it was working for you?
Also, would you mind sharing your regime?

I quit min about 3 months ago as I found wrinkles and ridges on my scalp and some people said it can be caused by minoxidil.
I was on it for about 10 years till then.
My regime now includes 1.5mm dermarolling every 3 to 4 days. Scalp massage once a morning for about 10 minutes. And hand stand every day for about 90 seconds (as I can't hold it any longer).
Hey I read recently online you should use 0.5mm every other day and 1mm once per week, 1.5mm once per month. So I changed it to this method, my regime is strong, I use:

Topical compound 15% minoxidil mixture with added Finasteride and anti androgens.

5% Regaine foam
Ketaconazole shampoos: Regenepure DR/Revita/Lipogaine BIG3.
Divine Herbal hair oils
melatonin
laser cap
I recently added Revivogen.

Thats the main stuff I use other organic shampoo and oils.