Can Anyone Share Some Success Stories From Using Finasteride For A Receding Hairline?

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 19 and got on finasteride nearly a month ago to combat a receding hairline. I would just like to see if anyone can reassure me with any stories and before/after evidence of any improvement or maintenance that they have been able to get from it on the hairline as this seems to be the most difficult place for it to work.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey bud I don't have a pic, but lets say I was pretty darn thin on the front, to the point where looking in the bathroom mirror, or being outside in the sun, showed my shiney dome. And I hated it. So, I started on 1mg propecia, and after 4 months use, you could see peach fuzz where I was receding (don't expect hairs to grow unless you have miniature hairs there already).

I also used rogaine foam every morning, once a day, which I think helped a little. I've been off rogain for about 6 months, and I'm still good, I feel the propecia did the most, however I am now back on it because I feel I thinned just a little more than where I was at a few months ago.

Here's my regime, from my research (browsing the internet) it's basically what I came up with:

1) Nizoral Shampoo (store purchased) every other day, or every few days depending on my mood. Used to get the scalp in good condition and kill any bacteria which could be causing hair loss, a good start for hair loss treatment.

2) Propecia 1mg daily. Works. No sides really. I mean I'm a little anxious and depressed generally to be honest, although I believe it has something to do with the pot I smoke :D so I'm kinda used to it. But if I was a 10 before, I'd say I'm a 9.5 now, I haven't really noticed anything.

3) I've purchased peppermint (pure) essential oil, and castor oil to mix it with, which I saw that some rats in a study had GREAT results! and much better than rogaine - so I figured well, why not, plus it smells good. I alternate between this and the rogaine, or use both morning and night. I won't really know if it's working or not, I mean is it the propecia? the rogaine? or the peppermint oil. but if you google around, you'll see those rats got pretty hairy, and fast (I don't think it grows 'new' hair, it just keeps your hair in a 'growth' stage and slows down the standard hair loss shedding which everyone, balding or not, goes through for increased volume, however again this is hear say. I'm hopeful. Also the peppermint doesn't act as a DHT blocker from my understanding, but I think it'll only help.

4) Buy a 1mm or 1.5mm dermaroller from ebay. Cheap and cheerful (like $7) increases bloodflow to your scalp greatly, and has good reviews online although I'm not 100% on it working, but my hunch is that it does and I am using it regularly, read up on it, it causes your scalp to go into a 'healing' process which 'should' help generate healthier folicles. I also use it 2 or 3 times a week, and don't draw blood I just make my scalp red so that I can tell the blow floor is a pumping. My eyes water a bit when I use it, but that's life could be worse.

5) Rogaine Foam. I prefer it over the liquid, because I have hair, and the liquid makes it look like a greasy pigeon just pee'd on my head. With the foam, I can put it on, and then dry my hair (or rub my hands through my hair until it's dry which takes about 1 minute). It might be better to leave it on your head longer, but I have to get to work in the mornings and am not an early bird. I sometimes take the greasy pigeon route if I put it on at night.

Best of luck to you! also, if you ever have the balls, hit the gym, shave your head down to 0.5 or a 1, buy some cool hats, and the ladies will probably flock to you, as long as you do not have an elongated alien shaped head it could be a good option to try, even if it's temporary, you might like it after you get a few compliments, and it'll save you lots of $ in the long run. Me? I'm too vain, and would look like uncle fester bald, but it's always good to encourage anybody to be comfortable with their appearance before taking meds/spending money when possible.

Best wishes!

Last edited:

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh and I did ramble there a little.. just to re-iterate - I feel confident that my frontal hair loss was improved / thickened up by taking propecia. It's not just the back of the head in my opinion.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey bud I don't have a pic, but lets say I was pretty darn thin on the front, to the point where looking in the bathroom mirror, or being outside in the sun, showed my shiney dome. And I hated it. So, I started on 1mg propecia, and after 4 months use, you could see peach fuzz where I was receding (don't expect hairs to grow unless you have miniature hairs there already).

I also used rogaine foam every morning, once a day, which I think helped a little. I've been off rogain for about 6 months, and I'm still good, I feel the propecia did the most, however I am now back on it because I feel I thinned just a little more than where I was at a few months ago.

Here's my regime, from my research (browsing the internet) it's basically what I came up with:

1) Nizoral Shampoo (store purchased) every other day, or every few days depending on my mood. Used to get the scalp in good condition and kill any bacteria which could be causing hair loss, a good start for hair loss treatment.

2) Propecia 1mg daily. Works. No sides really. I mean I'm a little anxious and depressed generally to be honest, although I believe it has something to do with the pot I smoke :D so I'm kinda used to it. But if I was a 10 before, I'd say I'm a 9.5 now, I haven't really noticed anything.

3) I've purchased peppermint (pure) essential oil, and castor oil to mix it with, which I saw that some rats in a study had GREAT results! and much better than rogaine - so I figured well, why not, plus it smells good. I alternate between this and the rogaine, or use both morning and night. I won't really know if it's working or not, I mean is it the propecia? the rogaine? or the peppermint oil. but if you google around, you'll see those rats got pretty hairy, and fast (I don't think it grows 'new' hair, it just keeps your hair in a 'growth' stage and slows down the standard hair loss shedding which everyone, balding or not, goes through for increased volume, however again this is hear say. I'm hopeful. Also the peppermint doesn't act as a DHT blocker from my understanding, but I think it'll only help.

4) Buy a 1mm or 1.5mm dermaroller from ebay. Cheap and cheerful (like $7) increases bloodflow to your scalp greatly, and has good reviews online although I'm not 100% on it working, but my hunch is that it does and I am using it regularly, read up on it, it causes your scalp to go into a 'healing' process which 'should' help generate healthier folicles. I also use it 2 or 3 times a week, and don't draw blood I just make my scalp red so that I can tell the blow floor is a pumping. My eyes water a bit when I use it, but that's life could be worse.

5) Rogaine Foam. I prefer it over the liquid, because I have hair, and the liquid makes it look like a greasy pigeon just pee'd on my head. With the foam, I can put it on, and then dry my hair (or rub my hands through my hair until it's dry which takes about 1 minute). It might be better to leave it on your head longer, but I have to get to work in the mornings and am not an early bird. I sometimes take the greasy pigeon route if I put it on at night.

Best of luck to you! also, if you ever have the balls, hit the gym, shave your head down to 0.5 or a 1, buy some cool hats, and the ladies will probably flock to you, as long as you do not have an elongated alien shaped head it could be a good option to try, even if it's temporary, you might like it after you get a few compliments, and it'll save you lots of $ in the long run. Me? I'm too vain, and would look like uncle fester bald, but it's always good to encourage anybody to be comfortable with their appearance before taking meds/spending money when possible.

Best wishes!

Best wishes!
I agree

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh and I did ramble there a little.. just to re-iterate - I feel confident that my frontal hair loss was improved / thickened up by taking propecia. It's not just the back of the head in my opinion.
Thanks for the fast reply good to know that you got results relatively quickly that gives me some hope as i am still in the early stages of receding (barely noticeable and i have short hair and still have miniaturised cover). I am also using nizoral so good to know that this is understood to be necessary. I think i will give the finasteride around 6 months before considering rogaine as i would like to see its effectiveness on its own before adding something else into the mix as it would make me uncertain. Thanks for your help mate made me feel a lot better i will definitely invest in the roller.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply good to know that you got results relatively quickly that gives me some hope as i am still in the early stages of receding (barely noticeable and i have short hair and still have miniaturised cover). I am also using nizoral so good to know that this is understood to be necessary. I think i will give the finasteride around 6 months before considering rogaine as i would like to see its effectiveness on its own before adding something else into the mix as it would make me uncertain. Thanks for your help mate made me feel a lot better i will definitely invest in the roller.
Why not hit the rogaine now? If you have miniaturized hair, that stuff may thicken it!

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not hit the rogaine now? If you have miniaturized hair, that stuff may thicken it!
Just because it seems quite intense to have to do this every day as well as being messy, expensive and my dermatologist, although recommended it to me said that it is only effective in a small number of men so id like to see what finasteride can do first and will consider dutasteride if it continues progressing.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just because it seems quite intense to have to do this every day as well as being messy, expensive and my dermatologist, although recommended it to me said that it is only effective in a small number of men so id like to see what finasteride can do first and will consider dutasteride if it continues progressing.
Fair enough. I understand your concerns as I went through them myself. However, in my experience, the foam (I use the generic equate) is not bad or greasy. I thought it would be more of a hassle than it really is. And I can't remember how much I spent, but a 3 month supply was less than 30 bucks i think.

Hecky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started Finasteride today... and I'm also hoping that it'll improve my receding & thinning hairline. This seems to be my trouble area vs the top of my head.

I've been taking Rogaine 5% since May and I can't really say that it's improved the hairline (I know it's meant for the crown moreso but I was hoping for a miracle!)

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started Finasteride today... and I'm also hoping that it'll improve my receding & thinning hairline. This seems to be my trouble area vs the top of my head.

I've been taking Rogaine 5% since May and I can't really say that it's improved the hairline (I know it's meant for the crown moreso but I was hoping for a miracle!)
best of luck to you. did you notice that your hair loss has stopped on the rogaine?

Hecky

My Regimen
Reaction score
best of luck to you. did you notice that your hair loss has stopped on the rogaine?

Hard to say... to be honest, from about mid-April to the last few months (maybe up til September) I was only applying it once a day. So it's been less than 6 months of applying it twice a day.

I still shed hair when I'm washing my head in the shower but I want to say it's a bit less than before I started.

I also only shampoo twice a week - once with 2% Nizoral and once with a random Redken shampoo. I find I notice myself losing the most hair mainly when I shampoo my hair but it could just be because the hair is in the foam lol.

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say... to be honest, from about mid-April to the last few months (maybe up til September) I was only applying it once a day. So it's been less than 6 months of applying it twice a day.

I still shed hair when I'm washing my head in the shower but I want to say it's a bit less than before I started.

I also only shampoo twice a week - once with 2% Nizoral and once with a random Redken shampoo. I find I notice myself losing the most hair mainly when I shampoo my hair but it could just be because the hair is in the foam lol.
The dermatologist i spoke to when i said i was experiencing shedding said that this wasnt an aspect of male pattern baldness but could either be Telogen alluvium which can be brought on by shock or trauma, or he said i had dandruff and that the fungus may have got into the hair folicle and prescribed be tablets to sort that so if you are experiencing excessive shedding it may be another issue contributing.

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair enough. I understand your concerns as I went through them myself. However, in my experience, the foam (I use the generic equate) is not bad or greasy. I thought it would be more of a hassle than it really is. And I can't remember how much I spent, but a 3 month supply was less than 30 bucks i think.
The dermatologist I saw also said that if you use two different medications then you cant tell which one is working this is my reason even tho he didnt seem sure i should be taking finasteride yet at th rate my hair seemed to be miniaturising i wasnt prepared to take any chances.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The dermatologist I saw also said that if you use two different medications then you cant tell which one is working this is my reason even tho he didnt seem sure i should be taking finasteride yet at th rate my hair seemed to be miniaturising i wasnt prepared to take any chances.
That's very true. I wasn't going to take any chances thought. I wanted to have both dht blocking and something to stimulate my hair follicles.