Can Antidepressants Like Prozac Cause Hair Shedding?

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Backstory: Been on finasteride for 10-11 months and it felt like I was still losing. Added in dutasteride twice a week with finasteride and my hair started feeling thicker. Shedding even seemed to slow down. I then switched to dutasteride only because the combo of dutasteride and finasteride seemed to get me some weird sides. After a month those sides were gone and my hair seemed a lot thicker. I remember id lose a bunch of hair in the shower while on finasteride. But with dutasteride I was surprised at how little hair shed in the shower.

Now around this time I got into a car accident, which messed with me mentally. I have been dealing with depression for a couple of years but this accident made it worse. I was given Prozac to help with my depression and the pills helped a lot. But around the same time(a couple of weeks into Prozac) I started noticing increased shedding and I'm losing 100+ hairs in the shower now. the weird thing is the hairs I'm losing are random lengths and thickness. Some are long and thin while some are really short and thick. Most of the hair I was losing was thick and most had blunt ends.

I'm also losing body hair easily. I assume this could be from the dutasteride. Thought the loss is similar to my scalp. I'm losing body hairs in different lengths and thickness as well.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it can cause some hair loss taking prozac, i am in zoloft, i read it cause less hair problems than prozac, also, which sides you experience mixing dutas with finas? i am 3 days dutas 4 days finas and still losing hair

best regards

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it can cause some hair loss taking prozac, i am in zoloft, i read it cause less hair problems than prozac, also, which sides you experience mixing dutas with finas? i am 3 days dutas 4 days finas and still losing hair

best regards

I've been off Prozac for 5-6 days now and it seems like shedding had slowed down by a lot. It's too soon for it to be out of my system so I'm not sure if its just dutasteride shed that finally stopped.

I never got any sexual sides on finasteride or dutasteride. But taking them together sure did cause some sexual sides.

Ljpviper

Reaction score
Anti depressants have to some of the worst drugs out there. They have so many side effects. I have taken a few different ones in the last year and half. All of them gave me increased shedding and the sexual side effects are horrific. I stopped taking them all together.

ozm8ey

Established Member
Reaction score
Anti depressants have to some of the worst drugs out there. They have so many side effects. I have taken a few different ones in the last year and half. All of them gave me increased shedding and the sexual side effects are horrific. I stopped taking them all together.
I disagree. I'm on EFEXOR-XR without it I would go insane. Anti psychotics would have to be the worst drugs. I was on olanzapine for about 4 years, it made me gain weight rapidly, screwed with my memory, made me dumb af, tired, etc Luckily most of those issues reversed after I stopped taking it last year including the weigh gain.