Can a lack of Vitamin D cause hairloss?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
My doctor warned me to stay out of the sun after i got this operation. he told me it would minimize my scarring. and thats what i did from 2001 June to about now. Ppl say i'm exceptionally pale and light skinned. thats true cause i guess i became obsessed in avoiding the sun.

its not till recently till i remembered from high school that the sunlight provides a vitamin. did some research and found out it was vitamin d. this vitamin helps regulate calcium, thus bone. lack of it causes deminiralization. that pretty much explains my weightloss which no doctor could explain why.

anyway, i did a research and found "some" sites suggesting a defciency in vitamin d causes hairloss. the type of hairloss i have is ALL OVER the body. my hair from my arm pits, leg, pubic, hair on head, sides, are all thinning at the same time. do u think this maybe due to my vitamin d deficiency?

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should stock up on Vitamin D right away. Its the cure we've been waiting for!

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, its easy as one two "doctor, i'm losing hair, give me a blood test"!
(you can ask for a bone density x-ray too)

You'll go to the patho lab, they take a bit of blood, a couple of days later go see the results. This way, you don't even have to second guess whats going on!

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I recently read that D is very important and folk who don't get enough sun (most who live in northern climates away from the equator) should take D supplements. Don't recall many details, but it was recommended to get 600-1000IU of vitamin D a day.

I was pleased to see that between my multivitamin and calcium supplement, I gets 600IU/day.

Go get you some! They's cheap!