can a dermatologist measures the DHT level in the scalp?

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
its good to know your level monthly to increase or decrease the dosage. :!:

drinkrum

Reaction score
sam- said:
its good to know your level monthly to increase or decrease the dosage. :!:

A regular blood test would do the trick. Don't need to get all fancy.

D.

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
So I will just go to any medical laboratory and ask for a DHT blood test ?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Yes. Ask for a hormone panel testing for T (testosterone), E2 (estradiol), DHT, and perhaps LH and FSH.

D.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
How would knowing your dht level help? In finding the lowest possible dose? In deciding to switch to dutasteride?

The problem is there isn't a "correct" level for dht, or a level that is known to stop hair loss in all people. Finasteride lowers it to 70% in most people, and works fine for most people. If it lowers yours only 50% of normal are you going to take more than recommended? If it lowers it 80% are you going to take less than the usual 1mg? If it stops working are you going to switch to dutasteride, knowing that it usually decreases DHT 90% (though the benefit in regrowth of hair is less certain)... Would you take more than .5mg dutasteride if your level was not reduced a full 90%?

What if your testosterone is a little above normal on finasteride or dutasteride... Would you decrease your dose? What if your LH was a little elevated?

I dont see how serum DHT levels can be used in the individual unless they are having symptoms that need to be explained, as for most people the information gained wont help them make choices regarding treatment... Just my opinion.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cornholio said:
How would knowing your dht level help? In finding the lowest possible dose? In deciding to switch to dutasteride?

The problem is there isn't a "correct" level for dht, or a level that is known to stop hair loss in all people. Finasteride lowers it to 70% in most people, and works fine for most people. If it lowers yours only 50% of normal are you going to take more than recommended? If it lowers it 80% are you going to take less than the usual 1mg? If it stops working are you going to switch to dutasteride, knowing that it usually decreases DHT 90% (though the benefit in regrowth of hair is less certain)... Would you take more than .5mg dutasteride if your level was not reduced a full 90%?

What if your testosterone is a little above normal on finasteride or dutasteride... Would you decrease your dose? What if your LH was a little elevated?

I dont see how serum DHT levels can be used in the individual unless they are having symptoms that need to be explained, as for most people the information gained wont help them make choices regarding treatment... Just my opinion.

I think he just wants to measure to what extent finasteride affects his hormone levels. It's a good idea and something we all should do -- get a blood test before starting finasteride and get another one a year later.

D.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Post your DHT/Testosterone levels....

If anyone does have this tested post the results here... Id be interested in seeing them, to see if the numbers match the predicted.

For me, Ill just do it the old fashioned way (measuring chest and cup size, monitoring for breast tenderness and counting hairs in the showers) as Im not sure what I would do with the abnormal results... (wouldnt want to stop the drugs if Im feeling fine, cant increase them because I cant afford more dutasteride).

I guess if my DHT was really high I might have reason to question whether name brand drugs might be worth a try...

dustman2

Reaction score
On finasteride, I got a blood test for an unrelated reason. The tests came back that my testosterone level (free or serum not sure) was almost double what it should of been, I had been on finasteride for about 8 months. I was also experiencing some gno, so I take a finasteride 1mg every other day now.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
dustman2 said:
On finasteride, I got a blood test for an unrelated reason. The tests came back that my testosterone level (free or serum not sure) was almost double what it should of been, I had been on finasteride for about 8 months. I was also experiencing some gno, so I take a finasteride 1mg every other day now.

Thats because you have high testosterone levels anyway though. apparently finasteride is supposed to elevate test levels between 10-15%.

drinkrum

Reaction score
everysixseconds said:
dustman2 said:

Thats because you have high testosterone levels anyway though. apparently finasteride is supposed to elevate test levels between 10-15%.

Finasteride generally elevates T for a few weeks but your body adjusts thereafter and T should return to baseline levels. Some studies claim otherwise, but at the 1 mg/day level, 9/10 studies agree that the increase is merely temporary.

D.

dustman2

Reaction score
Then why is it 120 something still after 8 months. My doctor said it should be between 60-70 on average for a guy my age or something. I've always been a big guy, muscle wise. I used to work out A LOT, like trained for sport. Went from 180 lbs to 245lb in a year. Pretty much all muscle gain, just from when I started working out. I have rediculous stretch marks too. I started losing my hair when I started training, I stopped training about a year ago now, do a lot of cardio, I dropped down to about 200lbs now. Does anyone know anything about what is going on with my hormones? I also have sparse, very dark, pubic like arm hairs that will grow to be over an inch long if I let them.
Thanks.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Getting a DHT level test won't tell you a thing about your male pattern baldness.

There are people who have DHT through the roof, but have perfect hairlines, because not all follicles are sensitive to it. What is REALLY needed is NOT a DHT level test, but instead a way to take a measurement of your scalp and, as a result, give you a printout of the hair areas, and time frames, in which follicles will transition to DHT-affected tissues.

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Getting a DHT level test won't tell you a thing about your male pattern baldness.

There are people who have DHT through the roof, but have perfect hairlines, because not all follicles are sensitive to it. What is REALLY needed is NOT a DHT level test, but instead a way to take a measurement of your scalp and, as a result, give you a printout of the hair areas, and time frames, in which follicles will transition to DHT-affected tissues.

:thumbs_up: