Caloric restriction

HughJass

Reaction score
The only studies I've read were done on rats....I don't buy that as reliable

'They' claim it is one of the reasons the Okinawans live so long but is it really that simple?

CCS

Reaction score
The Chron diet is currently being tested on monkeys. It takes a while because monkeys live a lot longer than mice. But so far, they are noticing that the chron diet monkeys have fewer age related diseases than the control group. I'd like to find the study and see just how they set it up and make sure they did not feed junk food to the control or make them fat.

The diet is calorie restriction, not nutrient restriction. You need to get the same nutrients with fewer calories, which means it needs to be health food, not processed food.

You must not reduce your calorie intake by more than 5% per month.

Yo-yo dieting is far worse than normal calories. If you reduce your calories, do not splurg on some days.

Do not starve yourself. Gradual reduce intake so your metabolism addapts.

Continue exercising. Your goal is to reduce your base metabolism, not conserve energy by sitting on your butt. Exercise is probably more important than calorie restriction for living long. This is not a weight loss diet either, though if you over shoot, it can become one. If you overshoot and don't exercise, you lose muscle.

You get diminishing returns as you lower your calorie intake more. The first 100 calories of reduction is the best, and you get less extra benefit as you go down, with the max benefit around 60% your normal intake. You can get just slightly better benefit if you go lower than that, but at the cost of not enjoying as much food.

I noticed I have much less gas when I eat less.

The diet activates some of the same genes that resveratrol does. It is questionable how much resveratrol is absorbed by humans, so the chron diet is a sure bet. We also don't know if resveratrol works on humans like it does in mice.

I also believe exercise is good, but to a point. Marathons are not healthy, unless you naturally are 100% slow twitch muscle. And body builders who do bulk and cut cycles are probably hurting themselves too. Better to do a direct, continuous approach even if it takes longer. Adding fat is a fast way to get stretch marks.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat involved with a few key players involved in CR and other anti-aging research; and research indicates that CR does work to some extent; if you started doing it when you are an adult maybe it could add 2-3 years to your life. For me personally though; I'd rather eat what I want and bend my body and mind to other anti-aging avenues.