Call to Action by FDA At World Stem Cell Summit

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
The World Stem Cell Summit annual conference in Atlanta kicked off today with a clarion call from Dr. Robert Califf, the Deputy Commissioner for the Food and Drug Administration. He told the audience:

“We want you to accelerate translation to produce safe and effective therapies that can be delivered reliablyâ€

It was a message that everyone in the room, scientists and patient advocates, would love to be able to comply with. The question of course is how do you do that in a way that puts the emphasis on both speed, to get the therapies to patients who need them, and safety, so you don’t put those patients at risk.

That’s quite a challenge considering that, as panel moderator Julie Allickson of Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine said:

“the estimate now is it costs $2.4 billion and up to ten years to take something to the clinic.â€

Even if that dollar amount is higher than many think it would take to bring a stem cell therapy to a clinical trial it is an indication of the challenge the field faces.

Califf, who has only been at the FDA for 8 months, says that regenerative medicine is:

“not the only field exploding with scientific knowledge and seeing a future that’s very different from what we see today so it’s exciting but also an enormous challenge for the FDA. One of the real eye openers for me is to be at the FDA and hear about drugs that have been on the market for 45 years and we’re still learning about them.â€

He says the first goal of the FDA has to be to protect the public, and that it’s hard to balance safety and innovation. “That’s an issue we struggle with every day.â€

Califf was optimistic that the balance can be struck and progress can be made, but said that this can only truly be done if the patient is at the table as an active participant.

“Our national clinical research system is well intention but flawed. We need to have a new system that shares information right across the system and where patients are at the center. Patients should be driving the national research infrastructure. They are an essential part of change. It’s happening in Congress because they are hearing from constituents that this is what they want, a voice in the research being done that affects them.â€

For the patients and patient advocates in the audience it was a welcome message. For years they have been calling for a louder voice in the research that affects them and their loved ones. Knowing they have a sympathetic ear in the FDA could be an encouraging sign that their voices are finally being heard.

We will be writing more as the conference unfolds so stay tuned!

Source:
http://blog.cirm.ca.gov/2015/12/10/call-to-action-by-fda-at-world-stem-cell-summit/

Official Site:
http://worldstemcellsummit.com/

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, and not only does this relate to hair loss treatments, but to "life and death" treatments as well. Take this example for skin regeneration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc3fPeNZooA. The results are absolutely outstanding yet unfortunately since it not technically approved by the FDA yet, burn victims are still getting painful and disfiguring skin grafts.

And the FDA, and other government efforts to protect the public, are very contradictory as well. I know that plenty of these one-a-day pills whose ads saturate TV these days possess well-known side effects that are worse than the conditions that they are intended to treat. Yet since I believe that since the FDA is "in bed" lots of these large pharmaceutical companies, pills like Humira are approved while stem cell treatments (which can do much more good and are developed with much purer intentions) are given the shaft. And I highly doubt that Histogen treatment would have worse side effect than plug-style hair transplants, which are probably still performed today by some hair transplant clinics.

abcdefg

Reaction score
It hurts my head honestly to think it costs 2.4 billion and 10 years to get to market. I mean what costs that much and why does it take that long? Honestly stuff like CB is so similar to existing AAs why does it take 5 years and hundreds of millions to finish that? What costs so much do why cant studies or whatever be scaled down and shortened to save money. Kind of crazy really and a lot of drugs still have sides and problems after release anyways