caffeine and adenosine's relationship

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
Drowsiness is caused by the binding of andenosine to andenosine receptors in the brain that slows down nerve cell activity. To a nerve cell, caffeine looks like adenosine. Caffeine therefore binds to the adenosine receptor. However, caffeine doesn't slow down the cell's activity like adenosine would. So the cell cannot "see" adenosine anymore because caffeine is taking up all the receptors adenosine binds to. So instead of slowing down because of the adenosine level, the cells speed up. You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. This effect is why some headache medicines like Anacin contain caffeine -- if you have a vascular headache, the caffeine will close down the blood vessels and relieve it. Caffeine also increases dopamine levels in the same way that amphetamines do. So you can see why your body might like caffeine in the short term, especially if you are low on sleep and need to remain active. Caffeine blocks adenosine reception so you feel alert. This is the reason most Americans consume caffeine every day

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
Adenosine influences growth factors while caffeine works on other factors besides growth factors.Note: Adenosine opens up vessels.

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Willywonka, thats great info.......really.

However, how would that relate to hair loss?
I mearly posted for the sake of filling in some details for those who are experimenting with caffeine and adenosine.

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Do you have any studies of caffeine causing hairloss?
Thats a good question because the odd thing going on here is that caffeine should be a bad thing although one study says it helps.

michael barry

Reaction score
Alpecin, a big German company, makes a shampoo with caffeine and and after shower liquid that they say blocks the downregulation of the C-AMP gene, which according to them "robs the follicle of energy". Willywonka, gotta be honest with you. Until these guys show me some pictures, I aint bitin' and you cant buy it in the USA anyway. I keep an open mind though. I just want a little proof before I splurge. At least a few photos

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Alpecin, a big German company, makes a shampoo with caffeine and and after shower liquid that they say blocks the downregulation of the C-AMP gene, which according to them "robs the follicle of energy". Willywonka, gotta be honest with you. Until these guys show me some pictures, I aint bitin' and you cant buy it in the USA anyway. I keep an open mind though. I just want a little proof before I splurge. At least a few photos
My sentiments as well. I mean to say that the market place is saturated with products that are for hairloss but where are the pics if they are soooo great? Just what I thought. Most of the products are creditable and do indeed HELP but thier a far cry from a cure. I have more confidents in my regimen than anything going.

michael barry

Reaction score
Willy, I reread your first post. Perhaps you think that caffeine does to androgen receptors what it does for andeosine receptors?

Im one of those guys hoping science can find the hole in the dam and plug the leak of baldness in the near term. Something like this (if it were true) would be fine with me while big science looks for the BIG CURE. I periodically check Alpecin's web site for pics and more evidence.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
michael barry said:
Willy, I reread your first post. Perhaps you think that caffeine does to androgen receptors what it does for andeosine receptors?

Im one of those guys hoping science can find the hole in the dam and plug the leak of baldness in the near term. Something like this (if it were true) would be fine with me while big science looks for the BIG CURE. I periodically check Alpecin's web site for pics and more evidence.

i started using Alpecin's coffeine shampoo since about a week, i use it on days i don't use nizoral (called Terzolin here in Germany)... too early to give you guys any feedback but i think if it doesn't help it won't harm...

DaPlaya

Reaction score
I'm a Brit living in Germany,... i don't know if this shampoo is sold at all in the States. I'll look to see if you can at all order it online anywhere...