Cafe Ruminations

G

So I'm sitting in my cafe of choice, working on my screenplay, and a trio of young guys, maybe 19-21, sit at the table next to me. I look over and notice one of the guys: he's in the beginning stages of diffuse thinning. And for the rest of the time I'm in there, that's all I can think about: not my own hair loss, but this guy's.

When something like this happens to me, the first question that pops into my head is: Does he know? The second question is: Does he care? I guess I always assume guys whose fathers are bald probably figured on going bald themselves. I have a couple friends who spend their teenage years waiting to see if it was going to happen to them. And it seems like if you at least suspected it might happen to you, the shock and horror of the whole process would be diminished (my dad's about 60 and fully coiffed).

Anyway, I find that every guy I see or meet gets put into one of two categories: balding; not balding. The not balding--regardless of economic stature, ugliness, height, weight, or intelligence--are free of all emotional and psychological trauma and suffering; they are the free. The balding--assuming they care--are the stigmatized, the oppressed, the genetically smote. And I am of their kin.

So, I guess the real curse of balding is the act of caring, just because it takes up so much mental and emotional space, and the way it (hopefully temporarily) frames your world. I am tired of this frame, and seek a new one.

Sorry for taking up more space.

daedalus

Reaction score
Good point. I find myself thinking the same thing a lot of times. I almost feel bad for every guy I see who is balding because I know how much emotional trauma it creates. I'm sure some of them don't care about hairloss, but I do. Not a single day or maybe even a single hour goes by that I don't think about it.

I'm trying not to let this shape my life though. There's much more to a person than his hair. I don't want this to frame my world, and I know it doesn't have to. I just have to work on not letting it.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Many of my family members are losing hair and most of them want to do something about it, but when I try to explain to them the daily dosing... 2x a day minoxidil application ... propecia... etc... they just go "Ugh.. nevermind, too much hassle"

HairLossTalk.com

G

I was balding, I'm not anymore. Don't care nowadays.

That's like saying, I was diabetic, but I'm not anymore. No, you're still balding, you just happen to be treating it successfully. But, to my knowledge, there's no long-term treatment for hair loss. So, you're still balding.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Sure, we are still balding... but I think Axon was making a more subtle point.

Nice glass of red, anyone? Aaaaaah.. nice way to end a nice day...

Axon

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Sure, we are still balding... but I think Axon was making a more subtle point.

Nice glass of red, anyone? Aaaaaah.. nice way to end a nice day...

<3

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, its weird that you said some of that stuff, cause that's the way i feel sometimes, i look at someone with this ridiculously thick hair and think, that guy doesn't have a care in the world, he can wake up, go outside, go swimming, sweat, play sports, mess up his hair, put gel in it he is care free. ha, even though i know people have other problems in their life, i just feel like if i wasn't dealing with this sh*t i could honestly tackle any reversible problem that came my way (if i got fat, if i got sick, if i broke up with a girlfriend, if i had money problems) all of that stuff just seems like a joke compared to dealing with this. its just so strange how hairloss affects you mental status.