BYE BYE AIDS

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im sure you guys heard of it there has been a breakthrough and a man has been cured from aids already

HughJass

Reaction score
he was cured from HIV not AIDS according to the news article I read.

And I'd read the actual journal article before getting too excited. Nine times out of ten the media will misrepresent a study a with sexy headline in order to get a scoop.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2 things
firstly i have only seen this report on 1 website and then 100's copied and pasted it
secondly the "cure" lacks conclusive proof

i remain fairly unconvinced

The Gardener

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I could be wrong, but I think its the other way around. HIV is the virus, and some people who have HIV then go on to suffer AIDS, which is an impaired immune status caused by the virus.

In other words, you can have HIV and not have AIDS, but I don't think you can have AIDS and not have HIV.

oni

Reaction score
somone uk said:
2 things
firstly i have only seen this report on 1 website and then 100's copied and pasted it
secondly the "cure" lacks conclusive proof

i remain fairly unconvinced

I think this is the same man.............................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7726118.stm

Dated 13 November 2008

looks like he was first treated in 2007. If this is the case he has been clear for about 3 years.................................

The Gardener said:
aussieavodart said:
I could be wrong, but I think its the other way around. HIV is the virus, and some people who have HIV then go on to suffer AIDS, which is an impaired immune status caused by the virus.

In other words, you can have HIV and not have AIDS, but I don't think you can have AIDS and not have HIV.

You are correct, AIDS is like the advance symptoms of HIV, remember HIV can go for years without developing into AIDS.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
can someone make it abit more clear for an ignorant like myself.
i thought HIV and AIDS is the same thing?
second question, which one passes on ? the HIV or the AIDS?
how does it matter if you can cure HIV and not AIDS? (or vise verse)

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine goes to University of Notre Dame and he has a professor who does research there who has cured aids in the laboratory

The Gardener

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
can someone make it abit more clear for an ignorant like myself.
i thought HIV and AIDS is the same thing?
second question, which one passes on ? the HIV or the AIDS?
how does it matter if you can cure HIV and not AIDS? (or vise verse)
HIV is the virus
AIDS is a condition that occurs when the virus begins to destroy the immune system.

Or, to use a rough analogy... HIV is to AIDS as to what DHT is to male pattern baldness

HughJass

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
aussieavodart said:

So does the guy still have HIV and the treatment just prevented his condition from becoming full blow AIDS, or was the HIVirus completely irradicated with the treatment?

signed,
too lazy to look sh*t up

oni

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
The Gardener said:
aussieavodart said:

So does the guy still have HIV and the treatment just prevented his condition from becoming full blow AIDS, or was the HIVirus completely irradicated with the treatment?

signed,
too lazy to look sh*t up

Cured, no more HIV!

Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a disease of the human immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

So if he is cured of HIV it cannot develop into AIDS.