Buzzfeed's Feature on Men's Hair Loss

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, at least they featured MEN. And they did do SOME justice on addressing the issue with SOME sincerity... fucking FINALLY. I usually hate buzzfeed's pathetic content, but bravo on this, even if a lot of the information there still leads to nowhere with serious treatments.

How about Replicel, Histogen and Follica share this piece on their social media accounts and spread the message?

Links (same video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ATvs9Mtm5U
https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedVideo/videos/1955811841226355/

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know, I've seen some very competent articles from Buzzfeed lately. It seems like they emphasize traditional journalistic values such as having actual content in their articles, rather than the usual fluff.

But I know it wasn't always that way, I think there was a big change in strategy over there around a year ago.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the links.
A good haircut is essential to tackling the bad looks coming from hair loss.
It is also remarkable that none of the three Buzzfeed subjects was suggested shaving his head by the hair expert.
The second man (the one resembling Jude Law), however, did not look like 24 at all. A lot, lot older.
When I read his age I was astonished.

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people think we don't care about our hair loss, they have no idea men are that conscious about their hair.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Very happy to see people finally starting to talk about baldness. More of this so progress can be made.
Though I was really annoyed with them saying there's things you can do about it.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed this too. All I can say is that going sly or buzzing is overprescribed advice, and 90% of the time it will look worse than thinning hair styled well.

Well, there was that one time, before my strip hair transplant, when I decided to shave it. However, my girlfriend of that time said: "Please don't. You will look like you're fifty" (I was 30). I never brought it up again. So I guess I am in that 90% ;)

cocohot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Combovers only work if you are < NW2.5. After a year or two you will look like Donald Trump.

jd_uk

Reaction score
I must be the only one that thinks this video is sh*t. It makes me sad that men have been emasculated so much in this era that we are fed hair care and beauty messages about what we 'should' look like.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I don't think it's emasculating at all. If anything it's producing a generation of men that are more visually appealing and vagina-moistening than ever before.

At this very moment companies like this may be getting a little nervous.

KYjelly.png

jd_uk

Reaction score
I don't think it's emasculating at all. If anything it's producing a generation of men that are more visually appealing and vagina-moistening than ever before. I see nothing wrong with it, honestly. The importance of men's looks has always been there, simmering under a lid of patriarchal traditions and institutions.

F*cking hell.

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its interesting how like 90% of the comments on fb are from females tagging their male friends :)

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can you imagine check your fb and you see your gf tagged you. The same girl, you were 100% sure, is unaware of your hair loss and you thought you're hiding it like a boss with your master-comb over and topik. lol

IA2015

Established Member
Reaction score
Its interesting how like 90% of the comments on fb are from females tagging their male friends :)

No they aren't.

The majority of the comments are women moaning that there should be a video on female hairloss andd that it's worse for them.

Also the majority of the rest are from women saying they don't care and a few are tagging their boyfriends (as in sexual companions not friends).

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
I must be the only one that thinks this video is sh*t. It makes me sad that men have been emasculated so much in this era that we are fed hair care and beauty messages about what we 'should' look like.

Emasculated? So it's ok for women to be subjected to exacting beauty standards but not men?

This is nothing new, after all; baldness has always been fugly except (from the heterosexual man's perspective) it's only now been exposed as a factor.
Women in the past didn't have as much financial security and freedom or even a say in the choice of their partners. They do now (as they should) so, naturally, you're seeing what actually constitutes attraction. Just because it's unpleasant doesn't make it any less true.

All that's happening is equality - except, sadly, our options haven't yet caught up to society's expectations (partially due to our own unwillingness to admit distress).

jd_uk

Reaction score
No they aren't.

The majority of the comments are women moaning that there should be a video on female hairloss andd that it's worse for them.

Also the majority of the rest are from women saying they don't care and a few are tagging their boyfriends (as in sexual companions not friends).

Yes, but shh the truth never gets in the way if a good story on hairlosstalk. All women hate bald men and all bald men have terrible lives.

Yes, "men's looks matter", but what I would give to go back to a generation when men could be men. My dad called me a 'poof' for wearing aftershave growing up...he was joking but yeah, there sure weren't many overly camp stylists/trichologists telling men how to 'maximise their looks' back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Emasculated? So it's ok for women to be subjected to exacting beauty standards but not men?

This is nothing new, after all; baldness has always been fugly except (from the heterosexual man's perspective) it's only now been exposed as a factor.
Women in the past didn't have as much financial security and freedom or even a say in the choice of their partners. They do now (as they should) so, naturally, you're seeing what actually constitutes attraction. Just because it's unpleasant doesn't make it any less true.

All that's happening is equality - except, sadly, our options haven't yet caught up to society's expectations (partially due to our own unwillingness to admit distress).

I think a bigger part is that celebrities and media have changed what is viewed as 'normal'. With more insecure men than ever in reality tv shows, films etc, women I think associate and imagine their 'ideal' guys to look like the 'ideals' portrayed in what they watch etc. I'm not saying that baldness is often an attractive trait, for some men it's just not, but I think the feminisation of society in general (yes - i do believe it goes further than equality) has changed perception. It doesn't make me happy to see videos like this, it just makes me sad to see that something which is actually so normal is being promoted as a problem. That is what contributes so greatly to the distress that many balding men feel in this society.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Many women now better understand the buying/selling power they have over men.
No they don't necessarily hate bald men, they tolerate them for a time until the power shifting effects of his
built -in obsolescence fully kick in.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Great video! I think it should've included females as well though. Also I wish that someone under the age of 24/25 was featured.

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
They didn't place enough emphasis on how important Finasteride is for treating male pattern baldness. Styling and Minoxidil can help, but only for a relatively short period of time. Eventually you will be left with an ultimatum: shave it or get a hair transplant, and if your choice is the later then you would have been better off just getting on Finasteride. Also, Biotin and laser treatments are completely ineffective, and shouldn't have been mentioned.

jd_uk

Reaction score
They didn't place enough emphasis on how important Finasteride is for treating male pattern baldness. Styling and Minoxidil can help, but only for a relatively short period of time. Eventually you will be left with an ultimatum: shave it or get a hair transplant, and if your choice if the later then you would have been better off just getting on Finasteride. Also, Biotin and laser treatments are completely ineffective, and shouldn't have been mentioned.

It was just a completely pointless video. It's so simple...finasteride (or dutasteride) is the only thing which will genuinely slow male pattern baldness IF you are willing to risk the side effects. They ignored any of that. Styling your hair differently is fine...until the wind blows, or until you wake up with sh*t looking hair. Unless you want to have your hair cut every week to keep it looking a certain way then shaving/cropping it short is the only way.