Buzz, Shave Or Persevere? Is It Time Yet?

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Evening,

Considering getting clippers out again. Buzzed hair pretty low the other year, I liked it, everyone else seemed to hate it. Grew it back, it can look ok with a decent cut, but will still look bad at certain light/angles. The isle at the front is a pain and it seems a bit of a battle at times. Thinking I'm a norwood 3v, going on four. When I ask family they seem to pretend I'm not going bald, whether it's to protect my feelings or not I don't know, but I think it's pretty evident. Would almost like to thin further so the war could finally be over! Is it time?

Attachments

• IMG_7229.JPG
    IMG_7229.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_7232.JPG
    IMG_7232.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 546
  • 20141108_132118273_iOS.jpg
    20141108_132118273_iOS.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 529

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
rule number one ; never get advice from your family bro! they try to protect you
and if you are a good responder you could get decent result with propecia and minoxidil

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for replies, not going to go down treatment route. I'm not really that bothered. The question of when to let it go, that's more bothersome....!!

HairForceOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are into balding look, keep it like you have it now. I would definately buzz it without clippers if I were you. In my opinion you would look much better.

Reactions: jsc

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, if you are into balding look, keep it like you have it now. I would definately buzz it without clippers if I were you. In my opinion you would look much better.

Cheers, used to buzz it at 0.5mm. I liked it, for me, I like the edge it has to it. I think holding on ages me....

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If i were in that state, i would go with a buzz cut easily. You have the head for it also.

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... going to wait a few months until we get some sun, then it's going.... forever this time....

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Evening,

Considering getting clippers out again. Buzzed hair pretty low the other year, I liked it, everyone else seemed to hate it. Grew it back, it can look ok with a decent cut, but will still look bad at certain light/angles. The isle at the front is a pain and it seems a bit of a battle at times. Thinking I'm a norwood 3v, going on four. When I ask family they seem to pretend I'm not going bald, whether it's to protect my feelings or not I don't know, but I think it's pretty evident. Would almost like to thin further so the war could finally be over! Is it time?

We all go through that stage. (Guys who are balding, most of us have buzzed it at
one time, if we're Norwood three or higher).

You have the head shape to pull it off, but here's your problem, unfortunately.

The hairline will eventually become more triangular, and look very strange when short.

To be honest, you're better off either growing it out and using a side part, or just shaving
it completely off at that point.

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers, will gradually work my way down to the guard from 2mm.....

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Grow it out more and part it or shave it.

Thanks.

With the parting thing, I'm pretty sure there's not enough fluff to bridge the island at front. Not without severe maintenance and a tendency to fail at times. Could give it a go before summer though!

shookwun

Reaction score
Keep sides, and back tight - fade. Buzzish on top.

your forelock is destroyed, it wont be easy to accomplish a grown out style.

take your meds.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My family hates my hair buzzed short, and they only show pictures of me when
I wear a hat. I only wear a hat twice a year, if that.

They didn't say this in a mean way, I just looked at my contact image when they
had their phone turned on.

I don't know what to say.

We have to do things that please ourselves. We do.

That said, we have to look as attractive as we possibly can to the outside world.

Looks do matter. Unless we're on a different planet. People are shallow, to a degree.

Sad but true.

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
My family hates my hair buzzed short, and they only show pictures of me when
I wear a hat. I only wear a hat twice a year, if that.

They didn't say this in a mean way, I just looked at my contact image when they
had their phone turned on.

I don't know what to say.

We have to do things that please ourselves. We do.

That said, we have to look as attractive as we possibly can to the outside world.

Looks do matter. Unless we're on a different planet. People are shallow, to a degree.

Sad but true.

Sounds familiar. They have trouble letting go and worry about how it will effect you. My family will not acknowledge it, which drives me mad!! Also, some people when I did buzz seem to forgo normal levels of diplomacy and say they straight out hate it and I should grow it back! However, if they had a haircut and I told them to get their arse back to the hairdressers as it looks sh*t, it wouldn't be deemed acceptable. Seems to be some double standards on this issue, like you're fair game when you're thinning...!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you @jsc, the fact is they don't acknowledge it, drives me f*****g nuts as well.
I would rather have them just say it to me, and not have to find out by looking at their contact list.

I'm not even completely bald (Norwood 3), yet when I have a friend my own age who is bald, they don't dare use the "B" word
around me.

It's not like their telling me something so damn shocking, like I have cancer or something like that. What the f***?

It is a double standard, and to be honest, I would probably punch my coworkers in the face though, if they
said to me.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
It' better then going to family functions and your family tells you that you are going bald. Oh I f ING Love that. Yeah because I didn' know that a**h**.

jsc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies. Would still like to know, what am I, Norwood 3 or 4?

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies. Would still like to know, what am I, Norwood 3 or 4?

Norwood 4. My recommendation would be meds and hair transplants, you're still in the zone where you could very easily achieve long term success with a full head of hair if you were on finasteride and got a single 5000 graft procedure with a top notch doctor.

The buzz definitely is going to work better because its so uneven and scrappy on top especially with the island.