Buzz Cut, FUE, or Other?

MBS

Reaction score
So I’m in my late 40s, and for the last couple of years I’ve been buzzing my hair, usually with a #2 or #3 all the way around.. It looks okay, but I’m thinking of growing it out again.. I’ve attached two pics, one of how my head looks buzzed, where in my opinion it’s hard to tell i have any hair loss.. The other is from a couple years ago , in my mid 40s, before i started buzzing it, where it’s pretty obvious that i have major diffuse thinning (i think?).. It’s plain to see from the top, but not as noticeable from the front.. So my question is- If you were me, would you grow it out and say “**** it”, or keep buzzing it, or look into getting an FUE transplant or somehting similar? I’m leaning toward one of the first two options, since the hassle and expense of a transplant really turns me off... And please dont mention Finastride or any medication, those are completely off the table for me b/c of possible side effects, no matter how rare.. Thanks!

Attachments

• 140CA166-CB20-46A3-8E3F-555BE65F3C16.jpeg
    140CA166-CB20-46A3-8E3F-555BE65F3C16.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 239
  • ECC6E1D0-1F06-4632-AABC-9EC94BD42B0D.jpeg
    ECC6E1D0-1F06-4632-AABC-9EC94BD42B0D.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 244

TheHairLossMaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could try dermarolling that front patch and rubbing in dilluted peppermint oil. Should help that spot grow with no side effects. Although if your using a derma roller you might want to have your hair buzzed for it doesn’t get caught in the roller or you could buy a dermapen and doesn’t matter the length of your hair. But honestly doesn’t look too bad for 40. Really could do any of those options you stated.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buzzed is definitely the better look for you. Having the forehead and hairline exposed is more masculine and attractive.

I would also recommend FUE down the road, but it's up to you really.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
A slave to what? Socially acceptable hair?
A slave for more hair transplants, drugs to keep the rest you have, imposible to shave if things goes wrong, etc. As you get older, hair is less and less important, there are much more important things in life . What do you things once you get a wife ? hair 10 points and sex of 4 points or sex of 10 and hair of 4 points ?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
A slave for more hair transplants, drugs to keep the rest you have, imposible to shave if things goes wrong, etc. As you get older, hair is less and less important, there are much more important things in life . What do you things once you get a wife ? hair 10 points and sex of 4 points or sex of 10 and hair of 4 points ?
I guess that's fair, but if you are okay with the extra procedures down the line and just taking finasteride to maintain, what's the problem? Friend of mine got 3500 graph FUE 2 years ago from a pretty established NW5 and he purposely keeps it at at a buzz and doesn't use finasteride. Helped him out a ton confidence wise, and I can't imagine he's much of a slave to anything at this point.

Also, as far as things go, I'd probably say (if you can afford it) that you're better off with a good FUE procedure then some of the sh*t that people do to themselves on this forum. Taking things like RU or other heavy drugs are probably doing serious damage to people, yet RU is floated here like a normal thing people add to their stack.

I don't get why you are saying sex of 4 though lol. I've been on finasteride for 6 years and never had a single problem sexually with any girl I've been with, the flip side is I might not have been with some of those girls (as a guy in his 20s) without hair.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess that's fair, but if you are okay with the extra procedures down the line and just taking finasteride to maintain, what's the problem? Friend of mine got 3500 graph FUE 2 years ago from a pretty established NW5 and he purposely keeps it at at a buzz and doesn't use finasteride. Helped him out a ton confidence wise, and I can't imagine he's much of a slave to anything at this point.

Also, as far as things go, I'd probably say (if you can afford it) that you're better off with a good FUE procedure then some of the sh*t that people do to themselves on this forum. Taking things like RU or other heavy drugs are probably doing serious damage to people, yet RU is floated here like a normal thing people add to their stack.

I don't get why you are saying sex of 4 though lol. I've been on finasteride for 6 years and never had a single problem sexually with any girl I've been with, the flip side is I might not have been with some of those girls (as a guy in his 20s) without hair.
Again, Finasteride sooner or later will give you side effects. You are not just inhibiting DHT, you are inhibitin an enzyme that is part of tons of other reactions
2) Fue or FUT are surgical procedures, everything can go wrong . Is not just a treatment. PLus , the donor is limit . I can show you more horror hair transplant histories that happy for ever results .

If you want to be really free, don't get a hair transplant .

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, Finasteride sooner or later will give you side effects. You are not just inhibiting DHT, you are inhibitin an enzyme that is part of tons of other reactions
2) Fue or FUT are surgical procedures, everything can go wrong . Is not just a treatment. PLus , the donor is limit . I can show you more horror hair transplant histories that happy for ever results .

If you want to be really free, don't get a hair transplant .
Alright, I did appreciate your advise on the trentoin in the other thread but this is just basically fear mongering. Your info about finasteride is just wrong, so I'll just bypass that.

Of course there are more horror transplant stories then not, because the vast majority of people can't afford transplants at the places where the disasters don't happen (or happen far less frequently), or simply don't do the research to ensure that they are doing everything they can to avoid disaster. I agree that people shouldn't cheap out and get the first available flight/booking in Turkey while spending 2k euro for 6k graphs, but there are fantastic doctors and clinics that take care of their patients and work with them long term while simultaneously delivering world class results. I've seen it first hand, both in real life and on the forums. If you aren't willing to commit to several procedures, touch ups, etc, while simultaneously being able to afford a quality doctor, then I agree, you won't ever be free because you'll be chasing your first mistake the rest of your days.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, I did appreciate your advise on the trentoin in the other thread but this is just basically fear mongering. Your info about finasteride is just wrong, so I'll just bypass that.

Of course there are more horror transplant stories then not, because the vast majority of people can't afford transplants at the places where the disasters don't happen (or happen far less frequently), or simply don't do the research to ensure that they are doing everything they can to avoid disaster. I agree that people shouldn't cheap out and get the first available flight/booking in Turkey while spending 2k euro for 6k graphs, but there are fantastic doctors and clinics that take care of their patients and work with them long term while simultaneously delivering world class results. I've seen it first hand, both in real life and on the forums. If you aren't willing to commit to several procedures, touch ups, etc, while simultaneously being able to afford a quality doctor, then I agree, you won't ever be free because you'll be chasing your first mistake the rest of your days.
"Your info about finasteride is just wrong, so I'll just bypass that."
lol . I started this with only 17 years, have 2 hair tranplanted, used Propecia for 4 years, Dutasteride for 16 years, I am a pharmacist . I think I know a little about it ;) .

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Your info about finasteride is just wrong, so I'll just bypass that."
lol . I started this with only 17 years, have 2 hair tranplanted, used Propecia for 4 years, Dutasteride for 16 years, I am a pharmacist . I think I know a little about it ;) .
And yet you said "inhibiting an enzyme that is part of tons of other reactions", as if this means anything without presenting scientific proof for the cascading events that blocking 5AR can lead to. I'm not a pharmacist, but I promise you I'm no slouch with biological functions either.

I also saw you in the other thread posting pictures of the literal string of google images for "bad hair transplant scars" as if those are the average result. Not only can you easily find examples on forums of good/average work (and naturally well healing skin) that lead to basically almost no visible scaring, but I personally have seen both of the only 2 people I know shave their head down to a literal 0 at the back with almost no visible FUE scaring because they went to quality clinics. I could respect if you wanted to warn people to do their research and be sure what they are going into, but what you're doing is nothing but fear mongering by approaching it this way.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For mid 40s you got some good hair man considering your nonexistent hairloss medical history. If I were in your shoes, with your mentality, my rankings would be

grown out -> fue -> buzzcut.

You have enough hair at ur age for it grown out not to look completely awful, if you wanted fibers would look great too grown out, if you're into that.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
And yet you said "inhibiting an enzyme that is part of tons of other reactions", as if this means anything without presenting scientific proof for the cascading events that blocking 5AR can lead to. I'm not a pharmacist, but I promise you I'm no slouch with biological functions either.

I also saw you in the other thread posting pictures of the literal string of google images for "bad hair transplant scars" as if those are the average result. Not only can you easily find examples on forums of good/average work (and naturally well healing skin) that lead to basically almost no visible scaring, but I personally have seen both of the only 2 people I know shave their head down to a literal 0 at the back with almost no visible FUE scaring because they went to quality clinics. I could respect if you wanted to warn people to do their research and be sure what they are going into, but what you're doing is nothing but fear mongering by approaching it this way.

Don't waste your energy over a corny 45 year old man who has practically wasted his life shitposting on hair loss forums. His English is very bad and he won't understand half of what you said anyway.