Buzz before treatment?

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok after thinking things through long and hard I really want to do battle with male pattern baldness. At least to get me out of my 20s, when who knows, there might be more options then, and if not it will be less of a problem then now(22).

Right well, I'm using Nizoral as it is, but wanted to start on the Rogaine foam, and possibly 1/4 Proscar(although a bit undecided as yet). However one thing that is currently putting me off is shedding. I know this is normal, and you have got to go through it, and in theory it shouldn't make it worse over the long term but I know I will freak out about it. I'll will convice myself I have ruined my half-decent but going hair and sent me into a spiral of depression! Okay I'm exaggerating a bit you get the point.

So I was thinking, if I buzzed my hair, then started the treatment but kept my hair short I wouldn't freak out about the sheds.... then grow it back in 6 months and see if its made a difference? Maybe tho, just maybe, I might enjoy the buzz look and will give me an idea of what I will ultimately look like with a bold head! Thereby I can give up on any treatment with confidence...... thing is tho, Ive always enjoyed hair, and don't think I have the head/face for boldness. I don't know! This is turning out into more of a general rambling then a question, sorry!

Cheers

charlieparker

Reaction score
dangerman- DO IT! I have a kind of similar experience to you. I was on propecia for about a year and a half. I started to experience a pretty drastic shed. Like I shook my hair in the bathroom and I noticed like 30 hairs coming out. That night I just decided to buzz it completely, like with a beard trimmer. You could barely see stubble. I kept it that way for a few months and kept taking the propecia, desperately hoping it would work. It was great i tell you. Those few months I barely thought about my hair at all. I was pleasantly surprised by how I looked and I just overall felt pretty good. After those few months I let it grow back a bit because I had a job interview coming out. Lo and behold the sheds were over, and the hairloss had halted. No more hairs anywhere. Not even one when I shampoo, gel, or anything. So, my message to you is buzz it, let the medicine do its thing, then let it regrow after a while when you think it might be working. Good luck dude

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i buzzed it and its great ,much easier!

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers Charlieparker and roki.... I think it sounds like a plan!

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
Cheers Charlieparker and roki.... I think it sounds like a plan!

Agreed! Go for it.
I had a mini breakdown the other night and shaved mine off to see the real damage. All in all I realized I look really good with a buzzed head. Though I'd prefer to be able to grow back a full heathly head of hair when I get sick of it.
Also the minoxidil will get to the scalp much easier and probably dry faster.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Buzzing your hair is the most important step you can do before you start treatments in my oppinion. It's easier to apply the stuff and it will keep your mind at peace when the shedding comes.

G

definitely do it. i buzzed it the last time to 1/8 inch during the first week of november, and have been letting it grow out since. so it's at about 1.25 inches right now. it was over 2 inches before the buzz so probably another two months to go before it's back where it was.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks all

Yeah I think I've pretty much made up my mind that I will do it!

Cheers

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I also agree to buzz it. That's what I did when I first started my Finpecia. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you what my hair looks like right now because I really haven't looked at it in the mirror these past few months. I've perfected cutting my own hair without a mirror. I also have the same hopes as you. I'm hoping to start letting it grow during the summer and expect a nice suprise! :hairy:

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a little piece of advice for ya. Just happened to me. Don't let this happen!
I went in and shook my hat in the bathroom sink to see if there was any hair in it. I had dry shaven my face on the way out the door this morning and not rinsed.
My heart damn near stopped when I saw all the little hairs! :hairy:

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. When I get more hair, I expect more noticible sheds. Best to have some to loose than none to worry about loosing.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I did it. Looks good! But then, there is still hair there.......

psych721027

Reaction score
I hear a lot or worry and talk of people shedding. People normally lose about 100 hairs a day anyway, don't they? They also lose more hair, depending on the season, fall for example you may see more hair loss. I wonder if the sheds are more psychological, because with the person who's concerned about their hair, they would be so much more aware of their hair and the numbers of hairs lost than the normal person would be. Personally, I haven't noticed any shedding off what I'm using, though I do have these cracking headaches.....but those are definately in my head. LOL Anyway, just my thoughts.