Buying vitamins over internet, please advise

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, which reputable website do you get your vitamins from? I’m trying to get MSM that ships cheaply overseas.

I have searched vitaminworld.com, vitaminlife.com and vitacost.com. Vitacost seems to be the cheapest after adding the shipping charges.

http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-...onyl_methane__High_Potency__/product_id/48877

http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=66DDEFA322FC4E50BF5F17BF5A60C564&PID=438&np=0

http://www.vitacost.com/DoctorsBestBestMSM1500

I think I’m gonna go for Doctor's Best Best MSM 1500 from vitacost.com because it is the cheapest. What do you guys think? Is it reputable and is it good quality? Please advise me on these as it is the first time I’m buying vitamins over the internet.

Thanks.

CCS

Reaction score
the stuff is not regulated, and it is hard to know what products are best. Just make sure the product is very specific about what is in it.

I noticed many sites selling peptide bonded glutamine (which is absorbed better than L-glutame) will say:

"peptide bonded glutamine is very good because of xyz. blah blah blah. Buy this bottle."

and they do not explicitly say that peptide bonded glutamine is in the bottle. I think they do this so it is harder to sue them if they give you a sugar pill. Some will say

"the capsules contain pepetide bonded glutamine, with 1g of protein total per serving"

Notice how they don't tell you how much glutamine is in it.

"500mg of glutamine is in the capsule. Contains peptide bonded glutamine"

It could just have L-glutamine to make up most of the 500mg, and the peptide bonded glutamine can be just any protein, since all protein has glutamine and the amino acids are connected by peptide bonds. The goal of people buying peptide bonded glutamine is to get a higher percentage of glutamine that is all bonded to amino acids.

An honest label would say,

"Each capsule contains X grams of glutamine, Y grams of which is peptide bonded. The total grams of protein is Z."

99% of sites on the net will not give this information. Why? Because they are selling whey protein or some other cheap protein that is low in glutamin, and they put L-glutamine in it, since it is cheaper than actually glutamine bonded to other amino acids. I found once site that gives the info , and it was out of stock. The site probably went out of business or stopped selling their glutamine because no one will buy it at the higher price when they are fooled by the rip off sites. I wish I could track down all the people responsible and fine them out of business. Scams put good businesses out of business when consumers can't tell the difference.

As a rule, if a site does not explicitly say what active ingredients and how much are in the bottle, in no uncertain terms, they probably are hiding something and hope you will just listen to the implications in the ad. Do not reward such tactics with a purchase. Go without supplements rather than buy from them. Then buy from a more straight forward retailer when you find one.

when it is so easy to just say how much active ingredient is in there, and they just make implications but no hard, explicit statements, then something is up.

G

suicidedude said:
http://www.vitacost.com/DoctorsBestBestMSM1500

I think I’m gonna go for Doctor's Best Best MSM 1500 from vitacost.com because it is the cheapest. What do you guys think? Is it reputable and is it good quality? Please advise me on these as it is the first time I’m buying vitamins over the internet.

i wonder about this too. how is Methylsulfonylmethane Lignisul different from methylsulfonylmethane.

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
As a rule, if a site does not explicitly say what is in the body, in no uncertain terms, they probably are hiding the fact that there is a false implication. Do not reward such tactics with a purchase. Go without supplements rather than buy from them. Then buy from a more straight forward retailer when you find one.

at the bottom of the vitacost dr best MSM page are the vitamin details, do you think those are enough to prove legitimacy?

and here's the page about dr best http://www.drbvitamins.com/aboutdoctorsbest.asp

what do you guys think?

CCS

Reaction score
that page does not say much about the products. I'd have to see the ad for the product to smell if they are trying to hide something. you can never know, but if they don't say some obviously needed info, then run the other way.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
See how BulkNutrition.com is for overseas shipping.

I'd recommend the NOW brand, just because I have a good feeling about them. I am presently using their AAKG and ornithine. Just started.

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
I checked out bulknutrition.com and it seems that vitacost.com is still cheaper when using the fedex option.

another thing, I checked out dr best, they actually have a lot of offline retailers and some online retailers selling their products. I hope that this shows at least a bit of legitimacy of their MSM.

http://www.drbvitamins.com/buyhealthsupplements.asp

maybe someone who has ordered from vitacost.com or dr best MSM can shed some light?

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jacob, these sites are very useful.

I have checked all of them and finally decided on Swansons Vitamins. This company looks pretty legitimate to me.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/weba...wtN=429496719140&viewAll=true&N=4294967191+40

SWU112_Lg.jpg

SWU112_sf.jpg

What do you guys think? Do you think this one can be trusted?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
suicidedude said:
hair_tomorrow said:
suicidedude said:

I've been taking that exact brand from vitacost for awhile now. It's the real deal.

is it working for u?

Yes - more for general health purposes than for my hair though. I used to have this monster rotator cuff problem that cleared up a few months after starting MSM. That's when I cranked it up from 1000 mg 2x daily to 1500 mg 2x daily. The 1500 mg are tabs which I take orally. I also keep some 1000 mg caps available to drop into my minoxidil.

My hair and nails grow maybe just a little quicker than before I started using MSM.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Vitacost is an excellent source for supplements. Their NSI brand is very good for most things.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
riahwen said:
what about the puritans.com?

also a great site - wait for their "buy 1 get 2 free" specials - which run for a few weeks every third month or so.

(I have a lifetime supply of polysorbate 80 and saw palmetto from them :)

riahwen

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
riahwen said:
what about the puritans.com?

also a great site - wait for their "buy 1 get 2 free" specials - which run for a few weeks every third month or so.

(I have a lifetime supply of polysorbate 80 and saw palmetto from them :)

Ok, thanks. I've ordered from them because they dispatch to EU. I hope their products are good quality.