Bureaucracy

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been a victim of bureaucracy and civil servants' stupidity? If so, post your story here. Don't forget to tell us where it happened and what legal solutions do you have at your disposal.

My story is set in Portugal, the land of bureaucracy. I've been waiting almost an entire month for a postal package that was supposed to arrive in 7 days. The package is quietly awaiting at customs and apparently I can't collect it because there's no one available to dispatch it! The only 'solution' is to file a formal complaint, which I am going to do once I get my package.

Like the other guy said, 'I'm so goddam mad I can hardly talk'.

Public services are terribly inefficient in Portugal but people don't usually complain. Sometimes because they're afraid (?) to do it, sometimes because they're not well informed about their rights.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bureaucracy to some extent is a necessity but it's a disaster when people go overboard with it

i did an engineering degree under the illusion that i would do a degree, make cool things out of a few penny components
but about 90% of engineering is bureaucracy , not like necessary bureaucracy but like someone jabbing your arm with a stick and asking you over and over "are you doing your job properly, are you doing your job properly", you end up having to write reports aimed at people paranoid enough to be sectioned under the mental health act about how your MP3 player won't electrocute it's listeners this or environment protection shite on how your bridge must contain 0% plutonium. i quit my degree after a year because i was sick of having to iterate over and over things that quite frankly go without saying, and i was only just on the degree, i would hate to be a real engineer

being an engineer is like being a prostitute apart from people respect you less and you are much more violated