BTP11's story - (now with pics) (20 month update)

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
ok....heres my story:

im 25, almost 26 yrs old...as far back as 2001, i remember a guy where i interned at telling me that it looked like i was going bald...i blew it off...i always gelled my hair and figured it was just normal to have the thin look when doing so.

2001-late last year, nothing to comment on. my hair, while not being able to do what it once did, still was fine, no problems. then i got pictures back from my friends wedding....i had started spiking my hair again, and WOW, talk about a shock. you could really start to see my scalp when i spiked. still, though, i blew it off for the most part, thinking it was my haircut, or some other excuse. mind you, i am not receding at all...i still have a full hairline. but everything from temple to temple is thinning.

around april or may though, i started to really freak out. my dad never lost a hair....my moms dad was bald, and so are all her brothers...but i looked at my cousins, and they are all fine. anyway, i decided it was time to see the dermatologist. i went, and he told me that rogaine and propecia were the only two things that would even work, and not to try anything else. i went so far as to buy rogaine, but then found out that not only was it a pain in the butt to take, but that (on the box) it says that it is not for frontal hair, just the crown and back. (forgive me if im not always using the proper terminology, im still new!)

i called back the dermatologist and decided to start propecia. even if i could just keep what i have, id be happy with that. my hair isnt to the point where people can notice a lot yet (some people tell me im nuts, but i know my own hair and what it used to be), so maintaining would be a fair trade off.

im about 6 weeks in on the propecia....got my hair cut last week (didnt mean to get it cut this short, trusted a friend who is a hair stylist and they cut it too short), and ive been freaking out more and more. i seem to be losing MORE hair right now, and it seems to be more noticable. everything seems very thin...i lose a decent amount of hair in the shower...most every time i scratch my head or run my hands through it, i lose at least one hair. not to mention the fact that before, i only thought i was thinning in front, but recently, im starting to see a bald spot on the top of my head which wasnt there 2-4 months ago.....thinking that this stuff wasnt working is what led me here.

ive been here one time in the past (july), and once i started the propecia i thought id be fine....but tonight i started reading up on other stuff, and i feel a little better, because (again, im new) i found out you usually shed quite a bit the first few weeks....and im on week 6 of propecia.

so i guess my questions are these: should i expect the shedding to stop soon? should i not expect propecia to work in the front at all? should i give propecia a good 6 months before deciding to use anything else?

if i should start using something else, does anyone recommend anything? right now i use t-gel as my shampoo...i dont know much about nizoral. is that better? should i be using that?

ive found some other products that looked promising....are any of the following any good? Provillus, curetage, tricomin, toppik? price is not an issue.

any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated....like i said, ive only been here twice, but ive noticed how courteous everyone is, and how willing people are to help you and give advice. this place is a great place for support, and im hoping that people who have had success with a certain combination of products will speak up.

i know that i wont get back everything i used to have, but i just want some confidence back! all ive done lately is been depressed about my hair...its all i think about, and i hate it! i cant even watch tribe games without looking at their hair. the last thing i want to be is late twenties, single, and bald!

sorry for the ridiculously long post, but typing that was somewhat therapeutic. i hope to hear from some of you soon.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and read the other parts of this site.

Go to the men's section and read everything, and watch the videos.

You seem to be very preoccupied with the snake oil tonics out there.

Your biggest danger right now is your lack of information.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/men

read.

HairLossTalk.com

peachboy74

Reaction score
relax for now.

From what I've read it usually takes 3 months to see results. We are both i nthe same boat as the thining in the back is concerned. I knew about the front until I just recently saw the top. I'm sure it seems much worse to us as we look more closely at ourselves and know what we are looking for. At least I hope so. I just started proscar, like you waited a bit longer than I should have and will just have to wait and see.

I have still been losing a few hairs in the morning, not too many but when you lose 5 a day every day well do the math and it'sa piss off.

Best of luck but this site gives some very goood opinions on your option.s most seem to say wait for awhile with what you're doing now and then reasses.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
well....the one year mark is almost here....

heres a pic of me at my friends wedding in late 04, but you don't get to see a great angle...its comparing wet, gelled short hair to long (the longest i think ive ever had it), dry hair.

realize that my hair is pretty messed up right now...i took these at like 1 am a few days ago. some are with my hair "styled" and some are after i tossed it up quite a bit. the pics are with a flash...im pretty happy with how it is, other than the fact that i still think i have a bald spot. my gf tries to tell me its where my hair parts, but i dont buy it. judge for yourself, i guess.

should i start rogaine for the back yet? Or hold off a few months to see if the propecia kicks in anymore?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Your hair looks great, man.

There's definite improvement with the before's and after's.

I think you have officially reversed your male pattern baldness and you should stay off Rogaine, but keep with Propecia.

Goodluck man.

G

It doesn't look that bad, man. I'm far worse than you. Propecia should be able to fill in the crown pretty nicely (if it works for you, that is).

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Your hair looks great, man.

There's definite improvement with the before's and after's.

I think you have officially reversed your male pattern baldness and you should stay off Rogaine, but keep with Propecia.

Goodluck man.

thank you sir, i appreciate it. same to you!

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
It doesn't look that bad, man. I'm far worse than you. Propecia should be able to fill in the crown pretty nicely (if it works for you, that is).

it seems to be working.....it really is a roller coaster. when i was first on it, before i knew better, i almost stopped because of the shedding. i kept on, and things got better around the beginning of the year...only to get worse about two months ago. the back started to get worse, and i was freaking out....but lately, it seems thicker. i almost want to use rogaine for the spot in the back, and thats it, but i think ill give propecia more time. i have no problem popping a pill every day...(two if you count MSM, thanks aplunk)...putting that gunk on my head two times a day seems like a pain in the ***. i guess i don't expect much more regrowth, if any....if i could keep what i have for the next 15-20 years, id take it in a second, small bald spot or not. to me, theres nothing worse than having a semi-perfect hairline, but a big bald blob in the back.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
6 and a half months since my last update....things are going pretty well. i even started GELLING my hair again, if you can believe it! i dont have many new pictures, but this is one from my firm's xmas party about 6-8 weeks ago...cant really compare it to the other pics, but i went with the "wet" look....

the only thing ive added is rogaine foam to combat the bald spot. not too sure if its working yet - im on month 3 or 4 of that.

ill be another to say that, for a fact, i dont come back to this site nearly as much as i used to. i actually just check hairsite to find updates on HM, and thats about it. part of it is due to the fact that im an accountant and im working like a dog right now...but part of it is that it just takes me back to worse times....

i can't say that i still dont have bad days and freak out every now and then....but i worry about it 25% as much as i used to.

EDIT: if people really want, i can take more pics. i just dont like photographing myself :)

G

Good job so far. I see no more hairloss (and I am very critical). This should be posted in success stories. Maybe you should style your hair with some gel in order to make a comparsion how your hair changed since 2004.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Good job so far. I see no more hairloss (and I am very critical). This should be posted in success stories. Maybe you should style your hair with some gel in order to make a comparsion how your hair changed since 2004.

well, in the picture at the bottom of the last page, that picture is with gel in it....its hard to see, but believe me, there was a lot in there!

gloucester

Reaction score
help btp

I, like you in the beginning, am experiencing extreme shedding. I am panicking like you might have. I am 29 years old and had been losing hair difusely (long term pattern - 5) over the past 6 - 8 years or so. Little by little I would think that my coverage was about 60% 8 weeks ago before I started Propecia. Now, I am about 20 - 30% coverage. Did you experience this degree of loss? When did it come back? Any insight would help.

psych721027

Reaction score
I don't know, maybe somebody can point out to me in this guys pics where exactly he's going bald cause I don't see it.

G

psych721027 said:
I don't know, maybe somebody can point out to me in this guys pics where exactly he's going bald cause I don't see it.

he certainly was in 04, look at the scalp behind the hairline, it's diffusing.

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68as.jpg

BTP,

do you have any recent pics of you with your hair the same way as in the above pic for us to compare? in your most recent pic your hair is dry and it's also taken from the side so it's hard to compare.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: help btp

gloucester said:
I, like you in the beginning, am experiencing extreme shedding. I am panicking like you might have. I am 29 years old and had been losing hair difusely (long term pattern - 5) over the past 6 - 8 years or so. Little by little I would think that my coverage was about 60% 8 weeks ago before I started Propecia. Now, I am about 20 - 30% coverage. Did you experience this degree of loss? When did it come back? Any insight would help.

my hair did get worse at first - short haircuts almost sent me over the edge. i would say i started to see good things right after my big 10 month shed....things have been looking good since.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
psych721027 said:

he certainly was in 04, look at the scalp behind the hairline, it's diffusing.

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68as.jpg

BTP,

do you have any recent pics of you with your hair the same way as in the above pic for us to compare? in your most recent pic your hair is dry and it's also taken from the side so it's hard to compare.

i will take some ASAP. im an accountant, so my life sucks right now, but i will take some.

i think part of the "improvement" is the gel i now use and how i use it - i used to use the crappy LA looks stuff and apply it to a soaking wet head. now, i get stuff at the salon (yes, im a nancy boy) i go to for $15 - volumizing gel - great, great stuff - and i apply it to a damp head.

and ill say it again...i know no one believes me...but in my latest pic, my hair IS gelled and wet. it looks dry, but it's not. i know its not a good comparison pic, but it's the most recent one i had.

gloucester

Reaction score
btp

So you didn't see any improvement until 10 months in? Wow, you have some incredible patience. Did you experience tremendous shedding in the first 2 months? Right now, my head is super itchy, much more than before I started Propecia, did you ever suffer from any itchy head? I am using Nizoral 2 times/week.

thanks for your reply,

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
did your hair continue to get thicker past the 10 month mark? also did you continue to shed?...

G

Well, congrats on your patience.

My so called "hair" looks similiar to your 2004 pic when it is gelled. I am almost seven months into treatment but haven´t seen any improvement so far. Your case gives me hope that I may be just a late responder as well. At the moment this sh*t is killing me.....