Bryan's help!!a new cause of male pattern baldness?>> the sebaceus gland

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
do any of you guys notice some kind of build up on your scalps?? i'm not just talking about regular dandruff....but like if u itch your scalp with your finger nail u notice some kind of yellow/white build up??? i keep getting this and it's making my hair fall out! it's from over active sebaceus glands...anyone know how to calm them down??? i've been told that i have seb dermm...but i never get the red spots!!! i think it might be something else!!! please give some feed back :lol: thanks bros

misterium

Reaction score
why pm when you can just explain your answer in this thread? there are no secrets around here!

i'd like to know also.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had the same concern so I did the research and retinoic acid which is used for acne does exactly what you guys need.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the jist of my PM. It's in response to his PM.

I've been to the doctor countless times but they never really give it a good look, usually my hair is too long for them to get any real view of my scalp. But to answer your question, yes. I have been "diagnosed" with seb derm. I am, however, thinking about going back now that my hair is so short and having them get a fresh look at my scalp.

I was actually wondering if mine (or at least part of it) was psoriasis because I do get these red patches and it's wierd because on these patches that I have I get rediculous flaking. It's like islands of red spots with a shitload of white on top of them. Gross.

I do get the build up you talk about -- like from scratching my nail along my scalp i'll get a bunch of white sh*t under my nail when i'm done. All white though, no yellow.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm...this is sorta good to know i'm not the only one! i was told i have seb derm about 7 years ago but when i think back on it all he did was listen to what i said...he never looked at my scalp! i know i don't get those red spots cause when i shave it all i would see is just build up...no red spots...i think that's an important part of saying ..."yes, you have seb derm"...and i think a lot of guys on here are claiming that they have seb derm cause they get very itchy skin and white and or yellow build up...which is two out of three sypmtoms. Think about it guys...i think it has more to do with overly active sebaceous glands. When i used to bic my head i would notice that half way through the day i would dab my fingers on my scalp and it would be sooo oily... however..i could just take a shower and it would easily rinse off... now that most of us have longer hair it's not so easy to get rid of that oil before it starts to build up! So maybe all this time we have been using all these stupid tar shampoo's and p zinc and god knows what else that makes u smell like shite!~ I'm going to start looking into controlling oily scalp....any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated!!! :lol:

Petchsky

Reaction score
I get that white build up under my nails when head scratching so count me in the club!

Originally i thought it was just from the minoxidil, but i remember getting it before using it. Still get it now sometimes. Be good to get some science on this issue.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this is awesome...we need to get some opinions from Bryan and maybe even S. Foote. i've learned that sebaceous glands are mostly regulated by hormones but that there are other factors of course...diet, stress, cleansliness... i'm thinking more that anti androgens might have a huge benefit...like how they can work against acne

thin=D...doesn't retin a cause some other scalp problems though? like serious scalp irratation?

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lots of good research going into anti andrognens controlling the sebaceous glands...ie., American Family Physician, April 1992 by Ronald S. Jurzky

(i'm sure some of u have read this)

an exerpt

"Androgens have a direct stimulating effect on the function of sebaceous glands, apocrine glands and hair follicles. Increased sebaceous gland activity is one of the major causes of acne. Therefore, modalities that decrease or inhibit the effects of androgens on sebaceous glands will benefit patients with acne."

of course this is about acne...but it is very related to androgen related hair loss. :)

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
which is why i have acne on my scaple now! or at lesat lil red bumps..

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
this is awesome...we need to get some opinions from Bryan and maybe even S. Foote.

In the book "Hair Research" from 1981, there's a relevant chapter titled: "Effects of Hair Care Products on Sebaceous Gland Secretion". The author says that coal tar in a surfactant base has been shown to reduce sebum production in man, so it seems possible that T-Gel shampoo would help your problem.

He also says that benzoyl peroxide significantly reduces sebum (at least in hairless skin), but says that the chemical is also contained in commercial shampoos, implying that it probably also works in the scalp. I don't recall ever hearing of a shampoo that contains benzoyl peroxide in this country (the author is German), but maybe it's worth looking for one...

Bryan

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that ever since male pattern baldness started for me, i expereinced increased uncontrollable sweating and even in cool weather....And also body hair growth...

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
benzoyl peroxide has the ability to bleach ur hair ur hair if u leave it on so i doubt it'd be a good idea to start putting it on ur scalp in the form of acne medicine especially

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone using coal tar shampoo?

I use t-gel every day. My scalp problems are very mild now compared to how it was a few months back.

mattam

Reaction score
I do have the same problem....

I think there may be a strong linkage with increased scalp oiliness and male pattern baldness progression.

However, I have yet to find strong scientific studies backing whether it's causal (increased sebaceous glands activities causing male pattern baldness) or it's just correlated (something cause male pattern baldness and at the same time increased scalp oiliness).

Anyone with info to share??