Bryan - the two different versions of Proxiphen

Felk

Reaction score
Bryan, i was wondering if you knew the concentration of minoxidil in Dr Proctor's liquid version of Proxiphen?

The main reason i'm asking is I'm trying to minimise the amount of minoxidil i'm absorbing systematically, as I'm growing heaps of hair everywhere! The obvious move is to apply it to a dry scalp instead of a wet one, but with the cream version it spreads so much better on a wet scalp, and you can use less (which is very important with Proxiphen's price)

I find 10 drops or so of the liquid version is sufficient for my thinning areas, so would 10 drops twice a day most like be more minoxidil than the cream version once a day? (I usually use a bit less than the recommended amount on a wet scalp)

I'm just looking to be able to apply it to a dry scalp/minimise my minoxidil absorption, without having to use a large amount of the cream and waste lots of money!

Thanks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Felk, I have no idea at all about the concentrations of minoxidil (or anything else, for that matter) in the liquid version of Proxiphen. I suggest you call or email Dr. Proctor about that and address the same concerns to him. BTW, it would be cool if you post his response here. I'd like to know what he says, too.

Bryan

Felk

Reaction score
Thanks bryan - I actually emailed him first, but his answers weren't particularly specific, so I thought I'd see if you knew the exact amounts. Here's what he told me...

Hello doctor,
I was wondering if you could tell me if the liquid version of your proxiphen is much weaker in minoxidil content than the cream? I ask because I've experienced excessive body hair growth, showing that it's being systematically absorbed, something i want to avoid.

About the same, total.

I would simply apply the cream version to a dry scalp, but I find I can only use the cream version on a wet scalp as i have longer hair and cant apply it otherwise. I have no problems applying the liquid version on a dry scalp, but would not want to use it twice a day if it was just as strong in minoxidil content as the cream version.

Would about .5 ml of the liquid version twice a day (1ml all up) be a smaller or greater dose of minoxidil than 1/10 of a teaspoon of proxiphen cream?

Perhaps a little more minoxidil from the liquid formulation if you do it this way. But minoxidil is likely not the only thing in Proxiphen that can stimulate a little body hair growth. So the amount of minoxidil may not have much influence. If it gets annoying, try Proxiphen every other day, perhaps alternating with NANO shampoo. The extra hair growth may be just coincidental.

Dr Proctor

I thought I'd rotate them,
i.e. Day 1 - cream on a wet scalp, Day 2 - liquid version on a dry scalp. This way it'd hopefully minimise my systematic absorbtion, and also work out pretty cheap.

I wonder if he just meant the phenytoin as well as the minoxidil being able to stimulate body hair, because if it's not the NANO and sods, i might use some prox-n as well as the liquid version to help make up for using proxiphen less.

upforhair

Reaction score
im really confused about prox... could somebody be as specific as:

i use the cream and i buy it from that site (what site)
or
i use the liquid and i buy it from some other site

where do you get your prox anyway , or each version , you buy it straight from dr. proctor?????????????

Felk

Reaction score
Its a bit early to say, though i have seen some small hairs, mainly velus, pop up on my hairline. Some might be miniaturised hairs though i guess, as I wasn't looking before.

Goingat20

Reaction score
hey felk, you started prox in may, how many vials of prox have you used since? Also do apply spironolactone once or twice a day?

Felk

Reaction score
I've used 2 since, so using half the amount. I was using less to begin with, just applying to hairline, then tried applying it everywhere, now just temples/sides.

However i'll be using less now, when rotating with the liquid.

Um, i was using spironolactone twice a day, but now I just use it whenever i'm not using proxiphen (it has spironolactone in it, so i still get my 2x a day). So if i use proxiphen in the morning, i use spironolactone in the evening, and vice versa