Bryan, can stopping minoxidil cause permenant hair loss?

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan,

Someone said if someone gets off minoxidil and has the mother of all sheds, that the hair can be permenantly gone, even if they get back on.

As I understand it, minoxidil takes 2 months to 1 year to increase hair weight by 30% and this is lost on stopping, and extra is temporarily lost before hair mass reaches where it would be had the person not been on minoxidil at all. I heard this may happen even if someone is off it only 1 week and gets back on it 1/3 the way into the shed. I would assume that continuing would just mean people need another 2 months to a year to get back to where they would have been had they stayed on minoxidil the whole time.

Do you have any studies or knowledge on whether minoxidil grown hairs can permenantly die after temporarily stoping?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I've never seen any suggestion of that in the medical literature, and no case studies. Just anecdotes on hairloss sites like this one.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
lets say you were on minoxidil for a few years and had achieved the 30% density increase. then you quit and shed then rebound to baseline. if you then started minoxidil again would you be able to achieve the offset of growth again?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Until there's evidence to the contrary, that's my assumption.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
After quiting Rogaine, I lost exactly what I gained with it.

Except for the hair that grew up near my eyebrows in the side. That hair still did not go away.

However, I am planning in jumping into Rogaine again, because I want to gain some hair in my temples, But i am waiting for some suggestions on how people do, since is a pain in the *** to keep hair good, with all that dandruff, itching and PPG layer over my scalp.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is dandruf on your scalp. Only 1-5% of minoxidil is absorbed through your skin. The rest dries and is a white/yellow powder. Every smeared glue on your hand as a kid, let it dry, and then told your friends that your skin was pealing off? Well it is like that. You could have some real dandruff there too, though.

Nizoral should help with the itching, but if not, i can understand that bothering you. my scalp never itched except for once, and it REALLY itched then. I think i rubbed it too much. I'm ok now, though.

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said there are studies on this sight about minoxidil absorption rate, but I went to the homepage and could not find any studies. This site does list lasercomb as an approved method.

I just read a 3 year old thread where Bryan said PPG does not count as alcohol towards the 90% for optimal absorption. He said PPG is not used as a presservative, but as a solvent for dissolving more minoxidil. Someone else supposed PPG was used to slow the evaporation, but Bryan pointed out that more is absorbed total than with the PPG.

I still don't know if adding all that minoxidil in your scalp so fast is a good idea, or if it is best done over a few hours at least. I could dilute 5% minoxidil with ethanl, and make it 65% ethanol instead of 30%, but I don't know if the absorption difference is that big in that range.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I still don't know if adding all that minoxidil in your scalp so fast is a good idea, or if it is best done over a few hours at least. I could dilute 5% minoxidil with ethanl, and make it 65% ethanol instead of 30%...

Or simply use 2% Rogaine, which is 60% ethanol! :wink:

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, but if ethanol is cheap, and 5% minoxidil costs as much as 2% minoxidil, then i'd rather mix my own and save money. i wish I new if rubbing alcohol would hurt hair in the long run, since it is very cheap, but even some perfumer's ethanol does not look too expensive compared to minoxidil.

I'll just make sure that when I dilute it, I don't drop it below 30% PPG, since that might be helping with something. 3% minoxidil is a save bet.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT said:

Except for the hair that grew up near my eyebrows in the side. That hair still did not go away.

However, I am planning in jumping into Rogaine again, because I want to gain some hair in my temples, But i am waiting for some suggestions on how people do, since is a pain in the *** to keep hair good, with all that dandruff, itching and PPG layer over my scalp.

Get that Dr Lee stuff, they say that it dries fast and does not flake up your hair.

Im thinking of getting it.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
tpeter said:
I_Hate_DHT said:

Get that Dr Lee stuff, they say that it dries fast and does not flake up your hair.

Im thinking of getting it.

I know. But I heard it is not as effective as Rogaine. :cry: