Bruxism and Hairloss?

jasonbudd1984

Reaction score
I recently read an article about bruxism that made a passing reference to suffers often also having hairloss. No substanciation for it, and I can't find anything concerning any link. Just lazy journalism linking both to stress perhaps? Also has anyone had bruxism and treated it successfully?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never found any linkage between the two myself, just the stress possibly. I grind my teeth very heavily while sleeping, so much so that my gums bleed a lot but I can't see it having any relation to my hair loss.

But who knows - maybe a lot of other baldies are secret grinders.

bruxism

Reaction score
tchehov,

That sounds terrible about your bruxism so I wish to mention something that helps me *totally*. My bruxism is probably quite different from yours, I 'dig' at the backside of my upper front teeth, and have dug quite far I might add...

A dentist, who I went to after I apparently had dug into the nerve of one of the upper front teeth so the nerve died and the tooth hurt something terrible, mentioned to me something that helps against bruxism. And it does -- totally -- so I want to mention it to you. It's a plastic piece fitted to the upper front teeth which because of some reflex that keeps us from biting down when there is something hard between the teeth (as I understand it) completely stops, immediately, any bruxism. The plastic piece is called an NTI.

jasonbudd1984 and tchehov,

About hairloss (which is how I found this post on google), I searced for "hairloss bruxism" because I wondered if my hairloss is related to my bruxism; after using the NTI the past nights and just now having not used it, I notice a *very* big difference in the muscles in my head, the chewing muscles. Tightening these muscles all night every night could perhaps affect the blood flow and so on in the scalp, at least I imagine that could seem possible. I don't always wear the NTI when I sleep, even though I need to for the sake of what's left of my upper front teeth (and now also the teeth next the front teeth have begun to be worn on the backside, my lower teeth really dig in and the entire way the teeth fit together is actually changed during a night when I don't use the NTI; when I do use the NTI the lower teeth don't fit into the spaces they have dug out in the upper teeth and instead there is a wide space like my teeth would naturally be spaced if I didn't have the bruxism...). Anyway, I intend to use the NTI every time I sleep now, and have started to use the massage function on the shower head on my chewing muscles and am going to use it now also on my scalp. If after some time this seems to have any effect (except being really relaxing, using the NTI and then massaging the chewing muscles in the morning, as opposed not using the NTI like the past years of bad stuff...), on my hair, I will try and remember posting here about it.

Anyway, anyone suffering from bruxism, please consider looking into the NTI, it just stops the muscles completely from bruxing, for me it seems like pretty much one of the most amazing inventions / discoveries I know about. (Next I hope LIPUS will turn out to be another great invention / discovery... :)

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jasonbudd1984 said:
I recently read an article about bruxism that made a passing reference to suffers often also having hairloss. No substanciation for it, and I can't find anything concerning any link. Just lazy journalism linking both to stress perhaps? Also has anyone had bruxism and treated it successfully?

Might be because of stress. Stress is the cause of bruxism, or anxiety might be a better word. But I have bruxism and hairloss, and I doubt stress is good for hairloss.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I see a common relationship here. I have this problem too. But, science tells us thus far that stress can cause both bruxism and generalized hairloss; however, stress alone doesn't cause male pattern baldness (it's that god-damn annoyng male pattern baldness gene).

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you grind your teeth, you ought to wear plastic retainers at night.

Companies on ebay will make them for you mail-order for not much money.