Broussonetia Papyrifera Promotes Hair Growth Through The Regulation Of Β-catenin And Stat6 [...]

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
June 2020

'Abstract

Broussonetia papyrifera (B.papyrifera), belonging to the Moraceae family, is known to elicit anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tyrosinase, anticancer, antinociceptive, and antimicrobial effects. The present study has been designed to examine the effects of B. papyrifera extract on hair growth through in vitro and clinical samples. Real-time cell growth assay, T-cell factor/lymphoid enhancer-binding factor (TCF/LEF), activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription-6(STAT6) and STAT3 reporter gene function, and Western blotting was performed to examine whether B. papyrifera regulates the expression of target proteins implicated in the proliferation of human hair follicle dermal papilla (hHFDP) cells. In this human trial, using a phototrichogram, the effect of B. papyrifera on hair growth was examined by reconstitution analysis after shaving the hair of the clinical subject’s dorsal skin. B. papyrifera promoted growth equally in hHFDP cells, which is comparable to that of minoxidil and tofacitinib. Treatment with B. papyrifera extract enhanced the TCF/LEF-luciferase activity and increased the level of β-catenin protein. Moreover, B. papyrifera extract significantly suppressed interleukin-4 (IL4)-induced STAT6 phosphorylation. In clinical trial, using a phototrichogram, we assessed the hair density and total hair counts at 0, 6, and 12 weeks after the use of hair tonic containing B. papyrifera extract. After using the hair tonic for 12 weeks, the total hair count was significantly increased as compared with the subjects at the start date (n = 11). B. papyrifera promotes dermal papilla cells proliferation in vitro and clinically among human volunteers through the regulation of WNT-β-catenin and STAT6 pathways.'

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Phototrichogram_Analysis_of_Clinical_Samples

34377-30ml.jpg

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, but if I understand it correctly it does not seem very promising (this is not my field I just skimmed the paper).
This is what I understood:
11 subjects: 9 females, 2 males.
No sides.
The total number of hairs after 12 weeks of treatment was calculated as 136.0 ± 7.96 number/cm2.
The total number of hairs at week 0 is 134.4 ± 7.67 number/cm2.
1.6 hair per cm2 in 12 weeks, given the margin of error is this significant?
How does that compare against other hair loss treatments?

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The total number of hairs after 12 weeks of treatment was calculated as 136.0 ± 7.96 number/cm2.
The total number of hairs at week 0 is 134.4 ± 7.67 number/cm2.
1.6 hair per cm2 in 12 weeks, given the margin of error is this significant?
How does that compare against other hair loss treatments?

Dunno.
Significant is the very word that they used.
Personally, if after 3 months of application I were to find at least 0.8(?) of a new terminal hair in every square centimetre of treated scalp, I'd feel pretty encouraged.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dunno.
Significant is the very word that they used.
Personally, if after 3 months of application I were to find at least 0.8(?) of a new terminal hair in every square centimetre of treated scalp, I'd feel pretty encouraged.

Lol. 0.8 of a hair? That is a kind of Schrödinger's hair - it both exists and doesn't exist until it is observed, at which point, it simply doesn't exist. Because this is male pattern baldness and nothing works. Yay.