Broken's Story (23/w Pics!) -**9th Month Update Page 3**

Broken

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd share my story with you all. I am a guy who everybody in my friend circle knows is obsessed with his hair. I just love my hair. But when a few months back some friends told me that I was balding, I was struck by lightning. I always had a broad forehead & I had people telling me dude are you losing hair, and I always corrected them that its just my broad forehead, but this time I was losing my hair on the crown, so this was the real deal this time, :sobbing:

I'd have to go a long way to find an NW6 guy in my family. My father is 54 and NW3~3.5, was NW2 till his early 40s. My grandfather on father's side was NW3 till his 50s & passed away at NW4~4.5 at 80. My maternal grandfather at 70 is NW5 but was a solid NW2 till his 40s. None of my uncles on either sides are any less than NW1, so is the case with all my cousins. So I am assuming that I am not destined to go bald, even though I might lose a little hair but I guess I should stabilize at NW3.

Anyways, I started my treatment in April, with minoxidil & added finasteride last month. So its been 2 months on minoxidil & 1 on finasteride. Have seen some bit of shedding, which is pretty big by my standards since I have never ever seen more than 5 hairs in a shower & nowadays Im getting close to 30, so that's a little freaky. But I feel my hair are healthier than before.

I am attaching some (a lot of ) pics tracing my hair loss through the last 3-4 years.

The following pics are from Dec 06 when I was holidaying in Indonesia -

The hairline is well defined in these pics, so you can get an idea of the baseline.

These pics from two years later in Dec 08 -

^ The thinning is evident.

This pic is Dec 09 when I was starting a herbal treatment -

This one is 1.5 months into that treatment ( which did not work Im guessing) -
January '10

The following are from a week back, the shedding is evident -

I am seeing a lot of tiny hairs coming up at my temples, I hope they will turn into thicker & healthy hairs after a few weeks. Looking at my old pictures I think my hair loss has been very slow & if I look at the hairline, temples then I don't think they have receded too much. Of course, others can judge better from the pics. I plan to continue on this regimen & hope for the best results. Will keep this thread updated.

Cheers

Broken

Reaction score
Re: Broken's Story (23 w Pics)

Been shedding for the last 2-2.5 weeks now, on an average losing 20 hair a day in shower, sometimes it is 40, sometimes 5-10. Never lost so many hair at once, ever. Even when putting minoxidil on scalp, 5-10 hair come out.

Is the amount of shedding dependent on the volume of your hair? I mean if someone has a high density of hair then hes more likely to shed more (50-100/ day) than someone who does not have much volume (like me).

The shedding started 40 days after starting minoxidil & 15 days after finasteride. Still riding it out somehow, hope the shedding stops ffs because it is thinning me all over the place. The crown & the temples have not gone worse but over all density has been decreasing.

I can see some growth on the left temple, not much on the right though.

Jersey

Reaction score

Hey Broken, I can tell you that the shedding is normal. I started on both finasteride and Minoxidil 3 months ago. I took pictures at week 5 and it did so much damage in terms of shedding and thinning, it was really hard to deal with, Thats the bad news! The good news is that after that, it began to turn around. I just took pics at week 13 and the difference is about as good as I could have hoped for. i can tell you that I never really stopped shedding. I still lose a lot of hair in the shower every day(probably about 100.) However, my hair is much stronger now as it no longer comes out when I run my fingers through it and it is growing. I also get about the same amount of hair as you do when I apply minoxidil. Give it some time Bro, hopefully things will head in the right direction for you soon.

Broken

Reaction score

Thanks bro. Seeing so many hairs in the shower was a big shock, but hopefully that means that the drugs are working full throttle. Fingers crossed.

Broken

Reaction score

Its been two weeks since I have been taking .5 mg finasteride and I am beginning to experience a lot of itching in my scalp (on the sides and back, basically the area that's not thin), mostly while I have minoxidil in my hair or when I'm bathing, other than that there's usually no itching. Should I increase the finasteride dose or is it normal to have itching?

Another thing I wanted to ask is that I usually divide the 1 mg finasteride pill by hand, I just break it like that and most of the times its not even. Like sometimes its .55 mg or .45 mg. Is that fine or should the dosage be absolute?

Thanks

Broken

Reaction score
Re: Broken's Story (23 w Pics + Some Questions)

Okay so in a few days I'll complete two months of finasteride (1 month 1mg, 2nd month .5 mg) and 2.5 months on Minoxidil. Here are the pics I took today, tell me what do you guys think of progress, if any. Personally, I am disappointed with the results so far but then the treatment is just 2 months in. :(

Attachments

• DSCN0962.JPG
    DSCN0962.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0963.JPG
    DSCN0963.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0964.JPG
    DSCN0964.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN0965.JPG
    DSCN0965.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN0967.JPG
    DSCN0967.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 189

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Broken's Story (23 w Pics + 2 Month UPDATE)

Hey it looks like you are miniaturizing in the vertex as well.

I am always curious about the shedding in shower thing. Did you actually count your hair before you start realising your are losing hair? If not, how exactly do you know the number of strands that are normal for you?

It could be possible that you thought you didnt lose so many simply because you never really counted right?

Broken

Reaction score

Vanzzzz said:
Hey it looks like you are miniaturizing in the vertex as well.

I am always curious about the shedding in shower thing. Did you actually count your hair before you start realising your are losing hair? If not, how exactly do you know the number of strands that are normal for you?

It could be possible that you thought you didnt lose so many simply because you never really counted right?

Vertex = Crown, right?

Yes, that's the major area I have thinned in. My hairline is still not bad, given that I have always had a broad forehead.

As a matter of fact, I did look out for hair falling out in shower even when I was not losing hair. I have been kind of obsessed with my hair & even 5-10 hair falling out would alarm me. Nowadays, 30-50 hair come out in one shower and I'm like wtf is this! I have never had more than 10 hair falling out in one shower before starting the treatment & the subsequent shedding which is still going on btw.

Anyways, I compared the vertex shot in the first post, this one -

dscn0921h.jpg

and the pic I clicked today -

file.php

I think there is some improvement.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

You did the right thing comming here. And yes, that indeed seems like improvement of the situation. They say the crown especially is sensitive to DHT, so it's no surpise people get the best regrowth down there. Looks like you might get full regrowth man!

Hairline looks pretty normal. It's a pretty high hairline, but doesn't look like a NW2, neither NW3, and it seems you can still style it well?

Anyways, it's looking good for you. Enjoy your hair.

Broken

Reaction score

deadlocks said:
You did the right thing comming here. And yes, that indeed seems like improvement of the situation. They say the crown especially is sensitive to DHT, so it's no surpise people get the best regrowth down there. Looks like you might get full regrowth man!

Hairline looks pretty normal. It's a pretty high hairline, but doesn't look like a NW2, neither NW3, and it seems you can still style it well?

Anyways, it's looking good for you. Enjoy your hair.

Thanks! :)

My hairline has not been much affected, unlike the crown area & the overall thinning. But I can still style it pretty well. And there are a lot of small hairs sprouting on both temples, the left temple pic is not clear I'll post a new one. Hopefully they come back fuller & thicker.

Added Later. Comparing my left temple before & now.

Before -
dscn0927.jpg

[attachment=0:b2xkcpxi]DSCN0972.JPG[/attachment:b2xkcpxi]

Attachments

• DSCN0972.JPG
    DSCN0972.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 191

Halp

Reaction score

The spiral seems to be closing in on itself so yeah theres a small improvement. :)

Keep it going.

Broken

Reaction score

Okay guys, another month goes by..its been 3 months exact for finasteride & 3.5 months for Min..Here are my observations -

1. No sexual side effects, infact I find my Libido increased..could also be the psychological thing after reading all the horror stories I've become conscious about my libido so it might be my mind playing tricks on me..but the bottom line is that my libido is great..

2. Watery semen gone..volume increased back to normal..all this in the last month..

3. I feel like I am getting gyne..Not sure because I have also put up fat (around 10 pounds) so it could be the fat but i am not taking any chances..if someone could tell me how to physically examine gyne it could be of great help..

4. no mood swings..never had them..

5. No other side effects AT ALL..touch wood!

Here are the pics..

You may want to compare these pics with the pics from 1st page..There is improvement! :hump:

Attachments

• DSCN1286.JPG
    DSCN1286.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN1291.JPG
    DSCN1291.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN1305.JPG
    DSCN1305.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN1306.JPG
    DSCN1306.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 201

shuji123

Reaction score
Re: Broken's Story (23 w Pics) -3rd Month Update Page 2

looking good there broken.
which treatment did you think gave you the thickening in crown more? minoxidil or finasteride?

shuji123

Reaction score

oh and also, what minoxidil strength do you use? 5%?
rogaine, kirkland or dr lee?

Broken

Reaction score

Thanks Shuji. I use Tugain Foam 5% (generic Rogaine by Cipla).

I can't say which one of them helped me more. I have been taking 0.5 mg finasteride daily & apply generous quantities of Rogaine once or sometimes twice a day. If I were to bet, I would bet on Minoxidil though.

frudoc

Reaction score

Thank you for sharing your story. May I ask, where do you buy Tugain foam? I was trying to find it at Cipla, etc. and have had no luck.

Thank you!

Broken

Reaction score

frudoc said:
Thank you for sharing your story. May I ask, where do you buy Tugain foam? I was trying to find it at Cipla, etc. and have had no luck.

Thank you!

Hi Frudoc, I buy my Tugain 5% Foam from the neighborhood pharmacy. Costs me around $12. I am not sure it is available online, you could check with a pharmacy that keeps generic stuff.

Cheers

frudoc

Reaction score

Gotcha. Thanks. Funny really, i am so used to having to get stuff online, i never even thought someone local might have it. I'll keep an eye out.

Broken

Reaction score

Been 6.5 months on Minoxidil and 6 months on finasteride. Here are recent pics -

dscn1739.jpg

dscn1740e.jpg

dscn1741b.jpg

dscn1742r.jpg

dscn1743.jpg

dscn1749t.jpg