Brand Name vs. Generic

G

Has anyone been able to determine of the Rogaine brand works any better than the generic brand? The generic sure cost less!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any difference in effectiveness. Some people have reported that generic can be more/less greasy than rogaine depending on which brand. I think that mainly applies to the 5%.

MD07

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read (see below link) that the generic minoxidil brand has discontinued the sales of the women version.

http://www.minoxidilshop.com/gen2minsolfo.html

In this article, they say that the generic packaged for men could be used by women as well..

What do think about it? Can I trust it? Should I be aware of any special side effect?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

MD07

The Gardener

Reaction score
minoxidil comes in two basic varieties, 2%, and 5%.

The 5% has typically been packaged as being 'for men' and the 2% 'for women'. However, men and women can use either interchangeably. The only difference between the 2% and the 2% For Women is the packaging. minoxidil has no androgenetic effect, so there is nothing special about the women's formulation that is different than the men's.

I think the 2% was targeted for women because higher concentrations of Minoxidil can cause subtle increases in facial hair density, for some. This is tolerable for a man, but may not be such a good thing for women who get this as a side effect.

I'm a man who uses the 5%, and I haven't noticed any big changes in my facial hair, but the minoxidil has made the hair on the back of my neck (those little buggers that the barber always has to trim down after a haircut) grow a lot more quickly than it used to.