Braces and Hairfall?

kt_hair

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been having braces since the past 10 months and I have noticed increased hairfall and thinning of hair since then. Is it common for such a thing to happen? I am 25 right now.
I also got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed about a year back and did lose a lot of blood. I had weakness for about a month or so and then the weakness went off. Since, I lost lot of blood, I took iron and vitamin B supplements for one month. I am also using Nizoral and emu oil for the past one month. But still the hairfall and thinning persists.
My paternal side has absolutely no history of male pattern baldness. My maternal side has 33% history of male pattern baldness.

G

I can tell you now, losing teeth or having a brace does not contribute to hair loss.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am going to have all 4 of mine removed soon. Its gonna suck.
Hey guys I dont think he is just talking about the braces.

galevin

Reaction score
I am a dentist and I can assure you there is no connection between blood loss from extractions, child or adult orthodontics and hair loss.
Gerald Levin DDS

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Traumatic shock to your body can cause a bout of telogen effluvium. Telogen Effluvium usually presents itself several months after the incident in question and can result in an abnormally high rate of shed telogen hairs (a telogen hair is a hair that has stopped actively growing [anagen] and is in a resting phase). In a normal healthy male or female 10% - 15% of your hair is in telogen at any given time. With Telogen Effluvium this percentage is higher.

Typically a hair stays in anagen for 2 - 6 years before going into the telogen phase. Once in the telogen phase the hair will remain dormant for 3 - 5 months typically before growing again.

It is possible to have both Telogen Effluvium and AA (Androgenetic Alopecia). Sometimes a bout of Telogen Effluvium can set into motion AA.

Bottom Line:

Traumatic shock to your body is not the cause of AA but can be the cause of Telogen Effluvium.

galevin

Reaction score
I'm not here to argue so this will be my 2nd and last response on this. Yes, trauma can aggrevate hair loss, just as stress can do the same. But how many gazillions of people have had full mouth extractions (which is all I do at my office), have had childhood or adult orthodontia and still have a full head of hair? I'm guessing genetics plays a much larger part in losing your hair than having your teeth straightened or extracted. You guys debate the trauma/stress effects on hair loss, I tend to agree that it is a factor but to me it is more complex than just stress and/or trauma. Everyone experiences trauma and stress thru life, but it is us unlucky s.o.b's that experience hair loss. Go figure.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
galevin said:
I'm not here to argue so this will be my 2nd and last response on this. Yes, trauma can aggrevate hair loss, just as stress can do the same. But how many gazillions of people have had full mouth extractions (which is all I do at my office), have had childhood or adult orthodontia and still have a full head of hair? I'm guessing genetics plays a much larger part in losing your hair than having your teeth straightened or extracted. You guys debate the trauma/stress effects on hair loss, I tend to agree that it is a factor but to me it is more complex than just stress and/or trauma. Everyone experiences trauma and stress thru life, but it is us unlucky s.o.b's that experience hair loss. Go figure.

I agree and dont think the typical tooth extractions let alone braces would cause anyone Telogen Effluvium.

However, if you have impacted wisdom teeth and needed to be sedated for surgical extraction or if you have a hyper-sensitive gag-reflex and need to be sedated for dental work a bout of Telogen Effluvium is possible due to the stress of chemical sedation on your body. Not likely but possible.

I wasnt trying to argue with you galevin, I just wanted to point out that a form of hairloss (Telogen Effluvium) is possible... Telogen Effluvium should not be confused with AA however as that form of hairloss is hormonal.

antwantunis

Reaction score
braces and hairloss

You're not the only one who is experiencing hair loss while being treated with orthodontics. I have had braces for 5 months now and I'm experiencing thinning hair. I think it may be due to the x-rays that were taken while I had braces on, or because they are self ligating, the metal on metal combo is attracting too much electromagnetic radiation towards my head. or perhaps the nickel-titanium composition of the archwire is causing heavy metal poisoning.

Hi,
I have been having braces since the past 10 months and I have noticed increased hairfall and thinning of hair since then. Is it common for such a thing to happen? I am 25 right now.
I also got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed about a year back and did lose a lot of blood. I had weakness for about a month or so and then the weakness went off. Since, I lost lot of blood, I took iron and vitamin B supplements for one month. I am also using Nizoral and emu oil for the past one month. But still the hairfall and thinning persists.
My paternal side has absolutely no history of male pattern baldness. My maternal side has 33% history of male pattern baldness.