"botched" Hair Transplants, A Thing Of The Past?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard horror stories of transplants gone wrong, but recently all I've seen/heard are good results,

Is it safe to say going for a hair transplant with a respected doctor will nearly guarantee you at least a decent result? Assuming you're realistic about what you're expecting

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on the surgeon, who does the surgery. If it's techs doing most of the work then you have no idea how experienced or skilled they are.
If it's the surgeon himself doing it then you can expect somewhat consistent results.

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
And designing a hairline that will look appropriate into old age, which means considering family history and current norwood status. Think long term.

plisk

Established Member
Reaction score
if there is one thing in your life you shouldnt try to get on the cheap - its surgeries.

shelling out an extra k or two or even three is well worth the competency and experience of a good surgeon. This applies to ANY kind of surgery, even the benign. And contrary to anglosphere arrogance, the best surgeons arent necessarily located in places like los angeles or NYC. Some of them dont even speak english as a first language!

shookwun

Reaction score
if there is one thing in your life you shouldnt try to get on the cheap - its surgeries.

shelling out an extra k or two or even three is well worth the competency and experience of a good surgeon. This applies to ANY kind of surgery, even the benign. And contrary to anglosphere arrogance, the best surgeons arent necessarily located in places like los angeles or NYC. Some of them dont even speak english as a first language!
I wouldn't include places like Turkey in the mix, as the cost of labour is extremely cheap hence the prices.

But when you are living in main metropolis cities, going cheap is never a good idea.

The big shots tend to all price FUE at 8-9

If you meet the local guy and he's pricing his service at 6.50 then I would be hesitant.

Assemblage23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still see horror stories on the regular, even from big names. A hair transplant will likely always be a risky procedure. Thé transection rate, the way the grafts are manipulated, shockloss, the patients healing capacities... there are many factors that can give you a very poor yield and an ugly result. Hair transplants are a cosmetic improvement most of the time I would say but definitely still your last resort if finasteride could not maintain your hairline under a Norwood 2.5. The key to success remains to catch your hairloss early with anti-androgens and to respond well.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
There is ALWAYS risk in hair transplant. There ALWAYS will be. You have to pick your surgeon, type of surgery, and plan with the utmost care. I really think you can minimize risk by seeing really good docs and having a well delineated plan, but there is always a danger things do not turn out well.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
The big shots tend to all price FUE at 8-9

If you meet the local guy and he's pricing his service at 6.50 then I would be hesitant.
Sometimes the big shots can price lower i.e. $4 if they have a patient cancel or just can't fill a slot. you have to be willing to go in a week's notice.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
The other 'risk' is that the valuable option of buzzing your hair very short, should the transplant not work, is taken away due to visible scarring in donor section. I get that FUE improves this equation but it's one of the reasons i have hesitated so far.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Do either of the Shapiros do surgery themselves or do they rely on techs?

dr. cole

Reaction score
The days of plug grafts and pitted grafts are nearly gone, but there is still some atrocious work out there. The movement toward follicular units helps, but you also have to remember that placing multiple hair grafts near or on the hairline produces a toothbrush appearance. Doctors simply do not police their work for reasons I don't understand. What I mean is that doctors need to evaluate the grafts during and after placement to ensure the work meets optimal standards.

Both Shapiro(s) do Strip surgery. The Shapiro brothers do not perform FUE. The Shapiro brothers used to employ a medical assistant to extract FUE. He was actually pretty good. He once worked in my office, but he did not extract grafts and I did not teach him to extract grafts. What he did was to watch and learn. He learned well. Now the Shapiro brothers use a doctor. Based on the studies this doctor has presented to date, I would not advocate that you use him. There are much better options for FUE. For strips, I believe the Shapiro brothers are very talented.

Reactions: KO1

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got a botched transplant last year. I look much worse than I did before I had it done. Paid lots of money to a world renowned hair transplant surgeon and he screwed me over big time. Low balled and ripped me off. Planted 1 to 5 grafts per sq cm, instead of the normal 30 to 35 at hairline and took donor hair out of previously depleted area. Created a horribly sloppy asymetrical hairline. Offered to try to fix it at 1.5x his normal fee. No other hair transplant doctors will even attempt a repair. I think it was botched to keep me coming back.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got a botched transplant last year. I look much worse than I did before I had it done. Paid lots of money to a world renowned hair transplant surgeon and he screwed me over big time. Low balled and ripped me off. Planted 1 to 5 grafts per sq cm, instead of the normal 30 to 35 at hairline and took donor hair out of previously depleted area. Created a horribly sloppy asymetrical hairline. Offered to try to fix it at 1.5x his normal fee. No other hair transplant doctors will even attempt a repair. I think it was botched to keep me coming back.

Sorry to hear this bro

Mind sharing who the surgeon was?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score

sorry to hear mate

you got any pictures of this?