Bosley or Medical Hair Restoration? Suggestions?

Lex

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to the board. Im considering a hair transplant and recently visited MHR (Medical Hair Restoration). This is a company I've seen advertised in print and television. I've met with one of their lead doctors and was fairly pleased with our discussion. Not too pushy, I did find their office somewhat unprofession though. I was considering looking at Bosley as well, but have read some bad press online.

Any thoughts on either of these companies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lex

poet

Reaction score
suggest FUE

I suggest getting FUE, follicular unit extraction.

First pick is Dr.Woods but he is $$

The newer docs Dr.Jones, Dr.Cole & Dr.Feller are worth considering but I suggest doing a smaller procedure first to see if you like it. I advise against strip excision. Scarring can worsen over time and you will not really be able to shave your head again.

ts808

Reaction score
Bosley or MHR?
The answer is NEITHER! Stay away from them. They will take your money and mess your head up -permantly. Bosley has all kinds of lawsuits against them and I know from expirience they do bad work. Do major research before you do anything. Poet is right although I have seen some good results from a strip procedure, but you WILL HAVE A SCAR. Take yout time, do your research, and ask alot of questions.

Lex

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice..Dr. Wood?

Poet and TS, thank you for the advice.

Poet you mentioned Dr. Wood. I have seen his name mentioned on several conversations on this site. Can you tell me where he is located and what kind of fees are charged. A ballpark would be fine. Im looking for about 2,500 follicular units for first session.

Again, thank you both for your advice.

Lex

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
he's in austrailia and its 11 bucks per graft they say.

hey i would conisder hair transplant but i have a question, how/why does plug look occur sometime? I would rather wear even a wig than have that plug look. I've seen it in real life and itlooks HORRIBLE!!

if i go with the guys who DON'T do strip incision can i still be affected by that plug look?

ts808

Reaction score
receding boy,
go to http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/ and read up on the procedure before you do anything. You can get a very natural look with strip, but you will have a scar on the back of your head. With FUE, the transplant will look the same (natural), but you wont have the scar in back.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
ts808:

I know that already. thanks for the reply though.

My question is to whom does that pluggy hair look occur to? I mean, can it happen to any patient? you konw, the one where it looks like yarn is growing out of someones head? is there ANY possibiltiy to get that pluggy hair look from someone like woods or cole, someone who does FUE?

Nelson

Reaction score
MHR

I went to MHR and am pleased with the results. I paid $6/graft and felt that the doctor was very competent. He (Dr. Holt, Troy Michigan) threw in a few hundred grafts without charging me.

The staff there seemed very trustworthy and were not eager to do surgery just to make money. That's not to say that you will have a similar experience at another MHR location.

I've heard bad things about Bosley. They are way overrated. Visit the site: http://www.bosleymedicalviolations.com

Just do plenty of research and let us know what you decide.

ts808

Reaction score
The pluggy look is a result of the doctor doing the "old Style" of hair transplant's. Mini and /or micro grafts. The state of the art technique is Follicular Units (FU's) and they will be 1 to 3 or 4 hair grafts. It's the way that hair grows naturally on your head. Anything other than FU's will give the the plugs. There's alot of good info at http://www.newhair.com. I WOULD NOT go MHR as I know that one of their doctors is a butcher -DR PUIG. If they hire him. I wouldn't trust them. For all we know, "Nelson" could work for MHR. I suggest going to the disscussion forum at http://www.hairlosshelp.com and ask the same question. You'll see.

Nelson

Reaction score
Whoa, offsides TS! Before you start making accusations about fellow forum members, try to gather some evidence first.

As far as Dr. Puig is concerned, I'm not endorsing him; I've never met him and I'm not recommending him. I'm simply sharing my experiences with my doctor.

G

If memory serves me, ts808 accused me some time back of being a hair transplant surgeon in disguise, posting to make myself look good.

So, TS if you think that this is what we do here, why do you bother to ask for feedback on hair transplant procedures? For all we know, you a hair transplant surgeon who wants to slander other hair transplant surgeons!

See well this works!

Brucelee (not a newbie)

ts808

Reaction score
BruceLee,
Your memory does not serve you correctly. I've never made such an accusation. I come here in peace, I do not want to start up a bunch of crap.
Nelson,
I only said that you could be an employee of MHR because that sort of thing has happened on other forums. I didn't say that you were, I said could, meaning that it was a possiblity. I was just trying to warn this guy that it can happen. Anyway, if your happy with your hair transplant, I'm happy for you. MHR has a reputation for doing, bad and outdated work. I guess they can do ggod work to, I dont know. Check the other forums and see what others have to say about MHR, and even Dr Puig, although I know he didn't do your work. He is associated with MHR.
As for myself, I am not a hair transplant surgeon, I am a patient. I've had bad work from Bosley, and then corrective work to conceal the Bosley plugs. At that time, mini's and micro's were the thing. They (Bosley) told me that it would look totally natural, just like the pictures in their brochures. That of course, was a lie. So after having some FU's to conceal and thicken, I'm losing the hair behind it. I need to get another hair transplant just look normal. I'm doing all the research I can, as well as warn other about the pitfalls. I wish someone would have told me the truth 10 years ago. So sorry if I offended you guys, I'm just trying to help.

Nelson

Reaction score
I have read a lot of negative feedback about MHR. There is some positive claims in the forums too. And being that most people who are pleased with hair transplant results don't bother to come back to the forums, I'd admit that it boils down to a crap shoot with MHR. I can only comment on one doctor at one office.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Bosley. I hope this area of medicine gains some consistency (and excellence) over the next few years. A lot of people got screwed over back in the day. That's why these forums are so important. Research is the key for future patients.

G

Fair enough (sorry for faulty memory)!. I have no experience with either Bosley or the other joint. I have been lucky in that I have had 3 hair transplant with diff docs and all have turned out pretty well. Last two did the FU and the first one, who knows, as it was in 1990.

Having said all that, the only thing I think you can do is review pics and talk to actual patients of the proposed Doctor. If the Doctor won't provide this infor, walk on!

Best of luck

Brucelee

ts808

Reaction score
Thanks for accepting my apology. It's a weird time for me and the whole hair thing. With all the FUE hype, I think maybe I should try and hold out until it's been a little more established, and prices come down a bit. I'm very concerned about my donor scar getting too big if I do another strip surgery. I'm afraid to take Propecia and I wonder about thisWSMR, or whatever the heck it's called. Lots of decisions.........

KragDug75

Reaction score
All I've been hearing about Bosley is that they're BAD NEWS. I went to see a Bosley consultant when I first started balding, at the age of twenty, in 1997 and the guy was not very impressive in the way of making me feel comfortable. I wanted to get my receding temples filled in and he calculated that it would be about 3500 dollars. He made no reference to the fact that I could lose more hair and need more surgery down the road. I am now 25 and my hair has significantly thinned since then and it makes me shudder to think what might have happened if I had gone through with it, knowing what I know now.

ATL44

Reaction score
The thing about some of these clinics is that you talk to a consultant instead of the doctor. These consultants (most) work on commission. Their motivation is sometimes not in the best interest of the patient. A good place to start would be The International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons and The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.

speed3777

Reaction score
has anyone heard of new hair institute before?

hi guys..i'm new in this chat forum...i'm 26 and my hair is noticably receding on the right side of my head only :( its starting from the front hairline and thining all the way ....
anyway..i had visited the bosley office last summer..and i wasnt pleased with the consultant/doctor......they were pretty harsh..and seems like they only wanted money......i did some research online and found a place called new hair institute....i read about the folicular unit hair transplant and how its supposed to be the latest thing in hair transplant.. http://www.newhair.com/your_hair_loss/y ... r_loss.asp
i'm pretty sure you guys can relate to what i'm going thru..cuz i'm really confused about this hair loss thing..and its really embarrassing...ive been taking propecia for 10 months now...and it doesnt seem to be doing me any good...but i'm also worried now that if i stop taking it...i'll lose whatever did grow ...
anyway.....my question is about new hair institute..i checked out the site and it seems pretty good...but has anyone here gotten work from them before???

G

At your age, I would try the finasteride,minoxidil and nizoral combo for at least 12 months before I had a hair transplant. 26 is young for a hair transplant in any event and to have one without using the accepted treatments is illogical and not supported by any credible Doctor that I know.

Give it a try.

Good luck

Brucelee

speed3777

Reaction score
i'm already on propecia for 10 months..along with nizoral 1% as far as the hair on my head..its really difficult to see if i'm actually regrowing or just maintaining whatever i have.....but like i said about the right side..its gotten to the point where there is a very thin line.....
its mostly due to hair spray or blowdrying when i was younger.....i think that's why its only one side.....it doesnt seem like propecia is working on it......do you think monoxidil will? has anyone had this type of experience before?? all your feedback is greatly appreciated