Bodybuilding.com Forum, Right Place For Me Not?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
i am wrong to look for workouts on this website when i want to acheive this kind of physique

4yq3psz.jpg
1150416_copy-of-luke-and-nate-no-shirt.jpg
will-chalker-photo-128.jpg

do i need even to do things like deadlift to achieve this type of body?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Weight loss through caloric restriction will typically be 65% fat, and 35% lean mass (measured in many studies). In other words you might never get cut, you'll just get smaller and remain pudgy as you cut both fat and lean mass and your metabolism keeps dropping to a point where calorie restriction alone is not viable.

There are two ways to increase the fraction of mass lost as fat from 65% to higher numbers:
- Resistance training and/or cardio which is high-intensity;
- intermittent fasting;

Also, steroids are likely another option, but I don't know enough about them to comfortably recommend them.

So if you want to get cut properly, learning about bodybuilding is a great option to actually get cut rather than reduce both fat and muscle at the same time.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Weight loss through caloric restriction will typically be 65% fat, and 35% lean mass (measured in many studies). In other words you might never get cut, you'll just get smaller and remain pudgy as you cut both fat and lean mass and your metabolism keeps dropping to a point where calorie restriction alone is not viable.

There are two ways to increase the fraction of mass lost as fat from 65% to higher numbers:
- Resistance training and/or cardio which is high-intensity;
- intermittent fasting;

Also, steroids are likely another option, but I don't know enough about them to comfortably recommend them.

So if you want to get cut properly, learning about bodybuilding is a great option to actually get cut rather than reduce both fat and muscle at the same time.

ok cheers man

i definately dont want to lose weight. i need to gain weight. i am skinny

what i meant was that the guys on that forum seem to be a different type of physique. bigger built. i want to stay slimmer, more athleitc.

just looking at these guys avatars, i dont wana look anything like that

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130778983

too thick, too built. too bulky

so am i wrong to follow their workout plans. are these athletic guys using a different type of workout?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok cheers man

i definately dont want to lose weight. i need to gain weight. i am skinny

what i meant was that the guys on that forum seem to be a different type of physique. bigger built. i want to stay slimmer, more athleitc.

just looking at these guys avatars, i dont wana look anything like that

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130778983

too thick, too built. too bulky

so am i wrong to follow their workout plans. are these athletic guys using a different type of workout?

Those guys might have taken years and years to achieve those bodies. If you follow their workouts, and their diets, and their sleep patterns, and you have their genetics, it will also take you years and years to achieve those bodies. However if you follow those same plans for six months you'll be considerably less bulky. Some of those guys are also using steroids.

An issue that I've become aware of due to discussions here, pics from @CopeForLife and arguments from @shookwun, is that there's a risk of looking ridiculous if you follow a disproportionate development. A classic example are the morons with huge arms and skinny chicken legs. Advice from experts may help you not go down their road of building up one bodypart more than the other and then looking unproportional. A full bodyworkout plan, either split into 1 or n days, mitigates that risk.

You should definitely consult an expert. If money is not an issue for you, a book an appointment with a professional trainer to build a program for you.

Compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, bench press, and military press are considered ideal for this as they are compound exercises (as per the name), so they work out several muscles simultaneously and take them to failure together.

But there are multiple roads to rome. If you don't like the barbell bench press for example, you can do a dumbbell bench press, a barbell bench press in the smith machine, an isolateral bench press, or use the chest press machine. It's a good idea to rotate the exercises every two or three months.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Those guys might have taken years and years to achieve those bodies. If you follow their workouts, and their diets, and their sleep patterns, and you have their genetics, it will also take you years and years to achieve those bodies. However if you follow those same plans for six months you'll be considerably less bulky. Some of those guys are also using steroids.

An issue that I've become aware of due to discussions here, pics from @CopeForLife and arguments from @shookwun, is that there's a risk of looking ridiculous if you follow a disproportionate development. A classic example are the morons with huge arms and skinny chicken legs. Advice from experts may help you not go down their road of building up one bodypart more than the other and then looking unproportional. A full bodyworkout plan, either split into 1 or n days, mitigates that risk.

You should definitely consult an expert. If money is not an issue for you, a book an appointment with a professional trainer to build a program for you.

Compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, bench press, and military press are considered ideal for this as they are compound exercises (as per the name), so they work out several muscles simultaneously and take them to failure together.

But there are multiple roads to rome. If you don't like the barbell bench press for example, you can do a dumbbell bench press, a barbell bench press in the smith machine, an isolateral bench press, or use the chest press machine. It's a good idea to rotate the exercises every two or three months.

my plan had been to build a simple plan around the main compounds to give me a nice overall wel balanced figure.

but this is what those bodybuilders do. maybe for more atheltic guys a different workout is used

the reason why i mentioned deadlift in particular is because there seems to be a lot debate when to actually use it. on leg day or back? deadlifting on the same days as squats is meant to be brutal. but doing it on back day when your doing rows is meant to be hard to

but if i dont plan to be a bodybuilder, do i need even need them? those guys i posted may not even deadlift. who knows. your right, i need to talk to experts really

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't need deadlifts, no. But it's a good exercise nonetheless. Use this split; legs, push & pull <-- repeat. Hit your muscles with a lot of different exercises. 3 sets of 15 reps will work for you, to shape your body. Nutrition is the key of course.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't need deadlifts, no. But it's a good exercise nonetheless. Use this split; legs, push & pull <-- repeat. Hit your muscles with a lot of different exercises. 3 sets of 15 reps will work for you, to shape your body. Nutrition is the key of course.

i would like to include it but it seems hard to include because of the intensity of it. but maybe with less weight, its doable. i will take a day a look at that split cheers.

i was looking at the upper/lower splits too. doing them 3/4 days a week.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe if dont intend to lift too heavy you can you do deadlifts and squats on the same day

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe if dont intend to lift too heavy you can you do deadlifts and squats on the same day

You can, but lifting heavy will build a lot more mass.

3 sets of 4-8 reps will build mass.
5 sets of 15 reps will build ... less mass.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW man I'm jealous you're in a position to bulk.

I've been focused on cutting fat for nearly 15 years, I tried and largely failed for years and years. It's only in the past two years that I finally figured out how to do it properly, by understanding that it's about hormones and not calories. Since I started ignoring calories I've lost ~60 lbs in 18 months.

I look forward to joining the bulking crew in a couple months or so. My surgery is on Thursday and over the next six weeks I'll be doing aggressive fasting to lose (the hopefully last) 10 or 15 lbs.

But your situation is great. Just eat a lot of eggs, meat, vegetables, take creatine, and lift heavy. Sounds badass and fun. It's something I've never been able to do but always wanted to do. I hope to join you soon. It must be a great feeling, to lift new highs at the gym every week, and to focus on power.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW man I'm jealous you're in a position to bulk.

I've been focused on cutting fat for nearly 15 years, I tried and largely failed for years and years. It's only in the past two years that I finally figured out how to do it properly, by understanding that it's about hormones and not calories. Since I started ignoring calories I've lost ~60 lbs in 18 months.

I look forward to joining the bulking crew in a couple months or so. My surgery is on Thursday and over the next six weeks I'll be doing aggressive fasting to lose (the hopefully last) 10 or 15 lbs.

But your situation is great. Just eat a lot of eggs, meat, vegetables, take creatine, and lift heavy. Sounds badass and fun. It's something I've never been able to do but always wanted to do. I hope to join you soon. It must be a great feeling, to lift new highs at the gym every week, and to focus on power.

yeah i know im lucky to be slim. id love to more naturally athletic but being slim is such a big advantage in general. i feel for you guys who have trouble keeping off the weight. it must f*****g suck. having to watch everything you eat, f*****g fasting and all that sh*t. i honestly dont think ill have ever a problem with my weight for the rest of my life. lucky genes

i guess at least when your ready to go for it youll appreciate it more after dealing with your weight problems. good luck to you mate. im looking forward to it too. must be great to feel alpha. strong and built.

i hit the gym when i was really young like 13/14 for a while. then again when 17/18. only lasted a few months both times. ive always kinda been obsessed with having a good body. but it bored me so then. and i didnt know what i was doing lol. i can still remember doing to chest flies aged 13 surrounded by grown men lol. its kinda sad really. i shouldnt have been in the gym that age. too self conscious about my body even then. i think thats why its taken me so long to finally get into properly again. after those failed misguided attempts when i was a kid.

now im looking forward to it. i can see the buzz of going to the gym now. getting stronger. feeling better. looking better. like a man. must be great

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
sunchyme do you take propecia ? because i have ever been really skinny and slim , and could eat whatever i want but since i take propecia i store more fat .

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
sunchyme do you take propecia ? because i have ever been really skinny and slim , and could eat whatever i want but since i take propecia i store more fat .

i did a couple years ago.

not sure if it made any difference to my body. i stopped cos my worst sides were mental.

i dont really know if finasteride can cause weight gain. ive heard it tho a lot with some finasteride users. dont know the science of it properly to give an opinion. but i guess with the increase in estrogen its possible. maybe need to counter that with more exercise? i dunno man.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i read several studies whic shows that DHT gives you the "lean look" . So while on propecia you have an handicap .
But i need my hair

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was maintaining sub 10% body fat for at least a few months while on finasteride

Now closer to 12%, because the stress of my schedule at the moment is making it too difficult obsess over calorie restriction

If finasteride does have an impact on bodyfat I think it's too minuscule to matter or blame finasteride for, at least from my personal experience

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was maintaining sub 10% body fat for at least a few months while on finasteride

Now closer to 12%, because the stress of my schedule at the moment is making it too difficult obsess over calorie restriction

If finasteride does have an impact on bodyfat I think it's too minuscule to matter or blame finasteride for, at least from my personal experience

kj u know your stuff about weightlifting

is a simple upper/lower or push/pull/leg 3 day workout enough to achieve the athletic build above.

or do you need a more advanced workout, like split body parts 5 times a week?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
kj u know your stuff about weightlifting

is a simple upper/lower or push/pull/leg 3 day workout enough to achieve the athletic build above.

or do you need a more advanced workout, like split body parts 5 times a week?

Bro weren't you asking these same questions a couple months back? You need to just pick something and stick with it

tbh the first 2 dudes look like skinny guys who don't even work out to me, the third pic looks a bit more fit

I had been encouraging everyone to do splits, but upon further thought, and remembering my early lifting days, I actually think full body work may be better for a beginner.

Also, many avid/experienced lifters will crucify me for this, but I think deadlifts are a waste of time exercise if aesthetics is your primary goal

Here's your full body workout plan. 3x a week, alternating each time between these 2 workouts:

Day 1
5 sets Bench press
5 sets Overhead press
5 sets lat pulldown or widegrip pullups(you might not be strong enough initally to get a good rep count out of the pullups)
5 sets Back squat
5 sets Standing calf raises 15-30 reps(full contraction! don't f*****g bounce up and down. this amounts to zero calf growth)
5 sets situp 20-30 reps (with incline and/or dumbbell across chest if too easy)

Day 2
5 sets front squat
5 sets seated calf raises 15-30 reps
5 sets incline bench press
5 sets overhead press
5 sets reverse lat pulldown or chinup
5 sets leg raises 20-30 reps (if too easy, do on bench with dumbbell between feet)

Majority of sets 8-12 reps(some can be a bit more or less, but try to generally stay in this rep range). This plan is to build a baseline of muscle. At about 4-6 months you can reevaluate, and you may be ready to move onto splits

3x a week. And don't skip days. I can't emphasize enough how important consistency is in reaching your goals

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro weren't you asking these same questions a couple months back? You need to just pick something and stick with it

tbh the first 2 dudes look like skinny guys who don't even work out to me, the third pic looks a bit more fit

I had been encouraging everyone to do splits, but upon further thought, and remembering my early lifting days, I actually think full body work may be better for a beginner.

Also, many avid/experienced lifters will crucify me for this, but I think deadlifts are a waste of time exercise if aesthetics is your primary goal

Here's your full body workout plan. 3x a week, alternating each time between these 2 workouts:

Day 1
5 sets Bench press
5 sets Overhead press
5 sets lat pulldown or widegrip pullups(you might not be strong enough initally to get a good rep count out of the pullups)
5 sets Back squat
5 sets Standing calf raises 15-30 reps(full contraction! don't f*****g bounce up and down. this amounts to zero calf growth)
5 sets situp 20-30 reps (with incline and/or dumbbell across chest if too easy)

Day 2
5 sets front squat
5 sets seated calf raises 15-30 reps
5 sets incline bench press
5 sets overhead press
5 sets reverse lat pulldown or chinup
5 sets leg raises 20-30 reps (if too easy, do on bench with dumbbell between feet)

Majority of sets 8-12 reps(some can be a bit more or less, but try to generally stay in this rep range). This plan is to build a baseline of muscle. At about 4-6 months you can reevaluate, and you may be ready to move onto splits

3x a week. And don't skip days. I can't emphasize enough how important consistency is in reaching your goals

lol i was mate. :D

i want aesthetics but also strength

i just want to stay on the smaller side

thanks for tips

g.i joey

Reaction score
i am wrong to look for workouts on this website when i want to acheive this kind of physique

View attachment 48797 View attachment 48798 View attachment 48799

do i need even to do things like deadlift to achieve this type of body?

Get a muscle building program from bodybuilding (they have free ones) if you're not looking to bulk stick to more sets and less reps with lower weights. This will burn fat while putting on muscle and will increase your core strength rather than have you looking big and bulky.