Bodybuilding and Propecia

PowerHouse

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to this site, and its my first time doing anything about my hairloss. Im 31 years old and i have been losing hair for about 5 years, slowly but now i want to give propecia a shot...My supply of Propecia will arrive tomorrow..
My question is, will taking propecia have any negative effect on my weight lifting ?

Thank you in advance for ur answers

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would think it would effect it in a bad way..i man Propecia lowers your test levels...and you need test to build muscle.....

If you want to get on propecia while still weightlifting...i would suggest(cause your strength will not get better faster while on propecia)
taking creatine or another supplement to help were your test will slip a bit

Creatine would be my choice just cause it has almost nothing to do with test....and more about giving your muscles more water overload.

research some supplements that could boost your muscle and strength while on propecia cause like i said it will lower your weightlifting capabilities.

PowerHouse

Reaction score
I got lucky and found some article about it, if anyone else interested..

Q. Propecia and Running

I am a 53-year-old male recreational runner (20 to 25 miles per week), I supplement my running with strength training. I would like to try Propecia, the new prescription treatment for male pattern baldness. I understand that this drug has some antiandrogenic effects, at least on hair follicles and the prostate gland. How selective are these effects? Would it have any negative effects on athletic performance? Would it inhibit muscle growth and development in a strength-training program?

Samuel Smith

Springfield, MO

A. You are right about Propecia (finasteride) being an androgen hormone inhibitor. Propecia is the same medication as Proscar, which is used for benign prostatic hypertrophy at the five-milligram strength. The mechanism of action of finasteride is to inhibit the steroid 5-alpha reductase, which is an intracellular enzyme that converts testosterone into the potent androgen 5-alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This enzyme is a Type II isoenzyme and is found primarily in the prostate, seminal vesicles, epididymides and hair follicles as well as the liver, but not the muscle. What this means is that the activity of the finasteride is confined almost exclusively to the target organs and should not affect muscle mass or athletic performance. The anti-androgen action of this medication is confined almost entirely to the scalp and prostate.

Finasteride is generally well tolerated. Adverse reactions usually have been mild and transient. The two most common side effects at the higher dose of five milligrams daily are impotence (3.7%) and decreased libido (3.3%). These side effects have not been reported at the dose used for male pattern balding.

Finasteride will not help you run faster or promote muscle mass, but it also won't inhibit your progress in your training regimen.

David C. Tattan, D.0., C.M.D.

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea blue you should do your damn research. Propecia will increase Test because it prevents the conversion of Test to DHT. God

I am a serious powerlifter and take 1.25mg of Proscar. It has only helped.

Taking PROPECIA significantly lowers levels of DHT in serum, prostate and scalp, and also produces a slight increase in testosterone levels.

http://www.propecia.co.nz/tostistudy/

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will admit i was wrong but...

still ...it does effect your liver and your liver is a massive part of building muscle and losing fat.Your liver increases its metabolic levels when working out...which in turn make you lose fat and build muscle faster...
If you decrease your livers preformance it will take longer for you to recover from a workout...so boooyaaaaaa it does matter.

Bismarck

Reaction score
blue said:
I will admit i was wrong but...

still ...it does effect your liver and your liver is a massive part of building muscle and losing fat.Your liver increases its metabolic levels when working out...which in turn make you lose fat and build muscle faster...
If you decrease your livers preformance it will take longer for you to recover from a workout...so boooyaaaaaa it does matter.

finasteride will affect your liver metabolism not more than all the other substances you eat / drink(!) every day.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In all fairness though i must say i dont use or know much about finasteride ....BUT atleast i was the first one to get this thread going....this was half way down the page before i decided to TRY to help........

If you guys know so much about it why didnt you help the guy ,BEFORE making me look like an *** lol?

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride and lifting

I have been lifting and running, etc for about 15 years, seriously...squats, pull/chin ups, bench, deadlifts, etc, and I have been on finasteride for two months with no downside as far as muscle building (actually no downside at all really).

I thought for a couple weeks, that I actually was getting a little bigger than normal with my regular routines..not sure if that was the surplus testosterone or not...I'm willing to believe we all might see things, both positive and negative, when we start a drug.

But I have had no problems lifting similar weights, or as many times a week.

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been lifting weights for years and I was stuck at the same bench press maximum for close to a year.

After being on Propecia for only 50 days my max went up 15 pounds. This is really a dramatic jump for me. I've never jumped that quickly. I can't contribute it to anything except Propecia.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its just psychological but..

being on finasteride increased my edurance, either because of the increased T-levels or perhaps I just worked out harder because I though finasteride would make me weak. Either way, the end result was the same.

PowerHouse

Reaction score
Thanks alot for all your updates, gonna start taking my first pill today, and wait and see what happens :D

Deaner

Reaction score
I too bulked up quickly while taking fina, faster during the first couple months of taking it than any other time in my life.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the best shape of my life and I have been using finasteride for a year. I am bigger and more cut than I was, but I am me, and you may respond completely different.