Body weight and finasteride dosage....

Bubs

Reaction score
I am 6 ft 220lbs and pretty lean. I was wondering if I should get Proscar and cut it into 4ths instead of 5ths so I would be getting 1.25ish mg instead of 1 mg due to my mass. I know with other drugs I normally have to take a little more than most people to get the same effects due to my weight. For example, I have to take 800mg of Ibuprofen to get relief.

Are there any other bigger guys on here who do this? Thanks.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont think 1mg fits all is true at all. 1mg is the dose that most men responded best with verse the risk of sides. Merk just says that because thats what they studied. One size does not fit all. Our genes are not all the same, our bodies are certainly not all the same, and neither should doses be in a perfect world. Significant differences in mass ideally would give different doses, but propecia as we all know works on a logarithmic curve I think in terms of doses so that would need to be accounted for. In reality an individuals average DHT level should also be taken into account, of course merk just makes money so these factors are impractical and they must generalize of course. studies are expensive.
Theres no way though a 100 pound guy should be taking the same dose of anything as a 300lb guy. Propecia though with the way doses work is an exception and DHT levels could be different in different people so mass while important might be trumped by the amount of DHT a person has to begin with.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
o rly? 1mg is blocking a PERCENTAGE of the dht in your body...85% of it to be exact...Lets say you up ur dosage to 5mg...that percentage will only raise to 90%....its a matter of percentages no absolute values....so 1mg is really all you need. heck .2mg has shown in studies to by 90% as effective as 1mg.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
I dont think 1mg fits all is true at all. 1mg is the dose that most men responded best with verse the risk of sides.

Oh, BALONEY. The risk of sides is only imperceptibly associated with actual finasteride dose levels, at least at these typically-used doses. I think you'd probably have to be taking a HUNDRED milligrams or more before a possible increase in side-effects would really start to become a legitimate issue.

abcdefg said:
Theres no way though a 100 pound guy should be taking the same dose of anything as a 300lb guy.

In the case of an enzyme inhibitor like finasteride, it doesn't make enough difference to worry about. The standard dose of 1 mg/day is enough even for the 300 pound guy, so it's obviously enough for the 100 pound guy, too. The fact that it's even MORE than enough for the 100 pound guy is of no significance.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well of course everything I say is just an average joe guess. Im not really a bio-chemist or anything. Bryan you are probably right about that. You still can not say 1mg is the perfect dose for everyone what about the repeat gene study that shows some people with those triplet sets of genes dont respond to finasteride as well as people without them. Merk didnt even know about that when they made it, and no doctor ive ever visited looks at my genetic background. They prescribe to me and throw me out the door. Of course then the day comes they individualize medicine I hope we arent still using finasteride. Finasteride is getting old you would think a new drug would be getting close by now.

Pondle

Reaction score
There is a newer drug, dutasteride! I guess the product pipeline must have pretty much dried up as far as DHT inhibitors are concerned. I mean, after you've got a second generation product that inhibits both 5AR enzymes, where is there to go?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Theres plenty of places to go with a complex multi gene disease like male pattern baldness. I would like to see an FDA proven topical like RU myself before they quit on DHT inhibitors. Hopefully they can do something with the tgf-beta and downstream effects of DHT or maybe the chemical pathways like that hedgehog gene is trying to do. We can only hope. We all know given enough time things will happen, but we only live so long.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
Bubs said:
I am 6 ft 220lbs and pretty lean. I was wondering if I should get Proscar and cut it into 4ths instead of 5ths so I would be getting 1.25ish mg instead of 1 mg due to my mass. I know with other drugs I normally have to take a little more than most people to get the same effects due to my weight. For example, I have to take 800mg of Ibuprofen to get relief.

Are there any other bigger guys on here who do this? Thanks.

How exactly did you split the proscar into 5 equal pieces?

What did you use? How did you do it?