Body Hairs To Head Transplant! Is It Worth It?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
The new Trend in hair transplant is body hair to head transplant. I have very thick dense chest and abdomen hairs which grow two inches long.I am thinking body to head for coverage and as filler.does it gives decent results.? Is Body to hair transplant more costly?

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye as I understand, the type of growth (length, texture) depends on the skin area and not only the follicle itself.
I saw some results of body hair transplant - some of them look really good. But you need to find a good doctor that has experience with this type of procedures. I think Dr Pekiner and Dr B*sanga both qualify. Do your research.
It does cost more obviously. And I dont know what your hair situation, but those type of procedures usually mix hair from donor and body hair.
Also I dont agree with pegasus, few tiny scars on the body are nothing compare to head full of hair, I wouldnt even take it as consideration.

Last edited:

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye as I understand, the type of growth (length, texture) depends on the skin area and not only the follicle itself.
I saw some results of body hair transplant - some of them look really good. But you need to find a good doctor that has experience with this type of procedures. I think Dr Pekiner and Dr B*sanga both qualify. Do your research.
It does cost more obviously. And I dont know what your hair situation, but those type of procedures usually mix hair from donor and body hair.
Also I dont agree with pigeon, few tiny scars on the body are nothing compare to head full of hair, I wouldnt even take it as consideration.
I'm actually quite concerned about the scars it would leave on my neck were I to use beard grafts. I don't have a lot of neck beard hair so when I was having my hair transplant I asked them how many they could extract if they took all of them below my shaving line. They said ~700 but I'm really worried about it being apparent.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that hair will eventually mimic their neighbors and overtime become quite similar. Not sure if this is an hoax

This is true, but they will retain some of their native properties and never quite be the same as native scalp hair.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I dont agree with pegasus, few tiny scars on the body are nothing compare to head full of hair, I wouldnt even take it as consideration.
You're assuming BHT is his only option. The vast majority of men don't need to utilize body hair for a transplant. It would be terribly stupid to do so when you don't have to. I'm also not telling him not to do it. I'm just letting him know the downside to it. The upside is obvious.

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're assuming BHT is his only option. The vast majority of men don't need to utilize body hair for a transplant. It would be terribly stupid to do so when you don't have to. I'm also not telling him not to do it. I'm just letting him know the downside to it. The upside is obvious.
I understand the reasons why people do it. I don't want my donor looking too thin. My total capacity got estimated at 8500 grafts out of which they took 3500. Looking at my donor I seriously doubt it could withstand 5000 more. I'd rather mix in some bread hair to save the scalp hair.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have weak donor BC of dupa .diffuse thinners have to have some options like beard or body hairs which can assure a good coverage.
I know body hair retain some of their properties like hair cycles but planting them densely is good idea.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have weak donor BC of dupa .diffuse thinners have to have some options like beard or body hairs which can assure a good coverage.
I know body hair retain some of their properties like hair cycles but planting them densely is good idea.

If you have DUPA then you don't have much choice. One thing to look into first, we don't know why people have DUPA. Has bht on DUPA patients proven to be permanent over time?

The length of hairs after transplantation of body hair is a matter of debate, though it is thought that hairs grow longer on scalp. This is borne out to some extent in our patient, though the growth was only marginally higher than the length over the body hair. Chest hair grew best and longest, by about 2 cms longer than the growth on chest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3764758/

Last edited:

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye I did kinda assume it's the only option. If you can utilize more your donor of course you should do it, not because of scars, but because it is just 'better hair'.
Anyway, if your donor getting thin, and your options are very noticeable thin donor, or body scars... well, just do your judgement.
Bottom line, hair on top and front of your head overcome those to cons easily in my opinion.

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have been looking at alternative donor sources as well. Imo, only beard hair is a viable option and then only as a filler. So if you have 35 grafts per cm2, using beard grafts to get to 45 might be an idea. The texture of you scalp hair matters as well, in case you have very thin and straight hair, combining it with beard grafts might be a bad idea. If you scalp hair is already quite thick and curly, it might match the beard grafts better.

Chest / back / other hair is not worth the hassle imo. Seen some results , but even the best ones look .. not so great.

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was NW6 and had a mix of head, beard and chest hair for my first op. I'm 10 months post op and results are decent so far.

Attachments

• 20201004_074738.jpg
    20201004_074738.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 308

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is hilarious.

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah it does look that way.

No just the lighting and I'd just been cutting down trees in the garden so have loads of saw dust in my hair .

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah it does look that way.

No just the lighting and I'd just been cutting down trees in the garden so have loads of saw dust in my hair .

Why did you go with bht? It doesn't look like you have DUPA. You could've gotten much better coverage with a regular transplant.

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had 4900 grafts in total. About 3800 were from my head and the rest were beard and chest hair for added density. I always planned for 2 procedures so they didn't want to risk over harvesting for the first op. Even with "just" 3800 grafts taken from the back of my head, you can certainly notice it is now thinner there when my hair is very short on the back and sides.

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Body hair grafts are all singles, so 1100 body grafts saves no more than 500 grafts in your donor, as the average is at least about 2.2 hairs per graft. What about your beard and chest, is the scarring noticeable?

Interesting. I didn't know they were ALL singles but thought 1s and 2s.

No scarring at all. My beard hair under my chin is a bit thinner but that's only an issue if you're growing a full beard down your neck/throat.