Body Hair and Male Balding

TylerDurden1

Reaction score
I am just curious if there is a correlation between the amount of hair a man has on his chest, back, shoulders, arms, is correlated to balding. I read a few posts here where people say the more body hair you have the more likely it is you will bald. However, I see bald dudes with no body hair and hairy dudes with a full head of hair. What is the truth behind this? Is there any kind of correlation? I'm 22 and have had like 30-40 inch long brown hairs on my upper back for like 2 years, its not like I have a hairy back or anything though, on my shoulders like also like 10 semi-long hairs on each one... no every sightly. Also, my chest hair seems to be starting to grow in thicker... just wondering if this means my hair is going to go soon or if theres no correlation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mark_Twain-Shirtless-ca1883.jpg

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
TylerDurden1 said:
I am just curious if there is a correlation between the amount of hair a man has on his chest, back, shoulders, arms, is correlated to balding. I read a few posts here where people say the more body hair you have the more likely it is you will bald. However, I see bald dudes with no body hair and hairy dudes with a full head of hair. What is the truth behind this? Is there any kind of correlation? I'm 22 and have had like 30-40 inch long brown hairs on my upper back for like 2 years, its not like I have a hairy back or anything though, on my shoulders like also like 10 semi-long hairs on each one... no every sightly. Also, my chest hair seems to be starting to grow in thicker... just wondering if this means my hair is going to go soon or if theres no correlation.

no not really...body hair needs dht to grow....so if you do have a lot of body hair its probably that you have a lot of dht in you, however that does NOT mean your hair is sensitive to dht.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In my family the 2 brothers with more body hair much more balding than the 2 with lower amount of body hair. Plus Dad is very heavy body hair and Norwood 7++

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have minimal visible bodyhair (only on my stomach and very little on chest) and can hardly grow a beard (very fuzzy, not thick at all) and still I am balding...

s.a.f

Reaction score
No connection whatsoever.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Im like an ape in terms of body hair. I trim most of it down tho, call me metrosexual if you must :jump:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Thats discrimation. You can be sued or put in jail for homophobic comments now. So watch it :nono:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Thats discrimation. You can be sued or put in jail for homophobic comments now. So watch it :nono:

I can be sued and put in jail for saying your a homo....nice.
well try to sue me...lets see how that goes.

Deany

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
metalheaddude said:
Im like an ape in terms of body hair. I trim most of it down tho, call me metrosexual if you must :jump:

nah, ill just call you homosexual...hows that.

You're gay.

There is nothing wrong with being a metro. :punk:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
HTGT is the gayest person on this forum and I dont mean happy! :gay:

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TylerDurden1 said:

I think the only correlation I've ever seen is that curly hair leads to hairloss. Except David Hasselhoff seems to be the exception..

metalheaddude

Reaction score
recboi said:
I think the only correlation I've ever seen is that curly hair leads to hairloss. Except David Hasselhoff seems to be the exception..

Dunno about that one. Since we are making outrageous claims, ill make one to and say, If anything I think guys with blonde hair bald faster. How many guys do you see who are 40 or even 30 with thick blonde hair? Yeah you guessed it, pretty much ZERO. With the exception of Brad Pitt and a few others of course.

Deaner

Reaction score
Brad Pitt has naturally brown hair does he not? And body hair has nothing to do with it. My body is bald by nature, and so is my head it would appear. Without propecia I'd probably be pretty bald by now. I started balding early, at about the age of 16. I have no problem with the theory that DHT causes body hair and thus those with more body hair have higher levels of DHT, etc, etc. But that's only half the battle in hairloss. The other half is the sensitivity of your hair follicles to androgens. So if you have low DHT and thus low body hair, you may have high sensitivity in your follicles and thus you still bald.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Deaner said:
Brad Pitt has naturally brown hair does he not? And body hair has nothing to do with it. My body is bald by nature, and so is my head it would appear. Without propecia I'd probably be pretty bald by now. I started balding early, at about the age of 16. I have no problem with the theory that DHT causes body hair and thus those with more body hair have higher levels of DHT, etc, etc. But that's only half the battle in hairloss. The other half is the sensitivity of your hair follicles to androgens. So if you have low DHT and thus low body hair, you may have high sensitivity in your follicles and thus you still bald.

Truer words have never been spoken :agree:

HairyBerry

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed my body hair increasing after 20, in particular in the upper arm and shoulder area. It started with a few hairs in the shoulder area, then fuzy hair all over the upper arm region and now at 22 there's much more, and thicker.. so expect yours to get thicker as well. I'm actually hoping for some kind of permanent and "cheap" air removal device or whatever in the future, I don't wanna turn into an ape.. as for balding I can't say for sure yet, my dad's body hair is curly and he's very bald and he already had some noticeable recession at my age. My body hair isn't curly and so far I have no recession.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I think most men experience increased hair as they age. Ever seen an old man with hair growing his ears and nostrils? Yeah baby, our old friend DHT.