Boar Bristle Brush & Hair Regrowth

Tomaskez

Reaction score
Hello,

I've read quite a few people's personal experiences on the internet about how they have used a boar bristle brush in order to combat their hair loss.

The theory behind this seems to be that men these days tend not to take the time to brush their hair anymore, thus resulting in little to no blood flow to their scalp. Also, brushing is thought by some people to have a negative effect on hair & scalp. This type of brush seems to be built in a way that it can stimulate the scalp and increase blood flow to hair follicles without being too harsh and damaging to the hair and skin.

I've recently purchased one and have started brushing for a few minutes a day to see if it actually works. I know that i am losing my hair and so i shave my head. Based on this i don't really have anything to lose if it doesn't work or makes things worse. I think however that i may be having some success as i have noticed very small delicate hairs have sprang up where my hair has receded, and i know they weren't there before.

I don't wanna speak too soon, but i'm quite pleased so far so i'm really gonna give this a go. I'll try and get hold of a digi camera and start taking photos to chronicle my progress or lack thereof :whistle:

That's my story so far....

I don't suppose anyone else has any related stories, successful or not?

Tomas

Boondock

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards. If you stick around a little longer, you'll get to see your brush taken away from you, cast into the furnace, and burned into a million little pieces over a fire of nizoral, minoxidil, and finasteride.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I had a boar bristle brush but I swapped it for some magic beans. :crazy:

shootingguard

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I had a boar bristle brush but I swapped it for some magic beans. :crazy:

How are those working out for you? I thought I saw some regrowth, but I think it may have been the pixie dust I bought online.

Boondock

Reaction score
How are those working out for you? I thought I saw some regrowth, but I think it may have been the pixie dust I bought online.

Are you still on the PixieMax LaserBeans?

G

I don't think brushing your hair more often will grow back hair. I also don't believe that people who don't brush their hair experience hair loss.

masterbilt84

Reaction score
Been using the brush since February, along with other things. I can't say too much about the hair growth, but it feels good to brush your hair with it. It feels nice on the scalp. Also, in general, it is great for brushing your hair forward (if you are a diffuse thinner like me) because it does a great job of spreading your hair out across the scalp.

I don't think you can rule out blood circulation entirely from hair loss. Sure, DHT plays a major role, but also consider blood circulation. If you are not encouraging blood circulation to the area, then the hair follicles are not receiving essential nutrients, etc and thus not healthy. So, I brush for this reason.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush may work because of a few factors. It may help offset/remove fibrosis. It may help with WNT signaling.

And it does feel damn good! I brush the hell out of my head with a boar bristle brush a few times a week. Also dermaroll 2x a week on days where I don't use the boar brush.

Tomaskez

Reaction score
Hello again,

I've had another close look at my hair and those little fine hairs are popping up all over the place. It almost looks like my hair line is reforming.

I know it probably can't compare to some of the treatments out there, but i don't have much money and this seems to be having some good results. I'm still staying reasonably sceptical though.

Cassin

Reaction score
show me one shred of evidence why this should work.

why did you chose this over proven treatments? Surely money is not the only reason.

I have to be honest that your post sounds like a passive ad so far.

Tomaskez

Reaction score
If i can get hold of a digi camera i will take some pictures. At the moment though the hairs probably wouldn't show up.

I decided to try this as i wasn't that upset about my hair loss so i didn't want to be spending alot of money for the rest of my life on various treatments when i can just by a £3 brush whenever i need a replacement.

Also, having to 'treat' myself everyday would make me feel like i had some sort of horrible illness. Brushing on the other hand just seems like a more normal part of a persons' daily routine.

I'm not trying to make enemies over this. I just thought people might be interested to see if this works and how much progress can be made from it.

I have to be honest and say that even i, looking at my first post, think it looks like an advert :laugh:

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
show me one shred of evidence why this should work.

why did you chose this over proven treatments? Surely money is not the only reason.

I have to be honest that your post sounds like a passive ad so far.

I gave 2 reasons it may help. WNT signaling and removal of fibrosis. And now that I'm thinking about it, it could also get rid of DHT laden sebum.

I do agree, however, that this should not be the sole method of treatment.

masterbilt84

Reaction score
It definitely doesn't hurt to use a boar bristle brush. I read up about it and have observed the results myself. It does massage the scalp very well, and once you have finished, you see that your hairy is shiny, which is a result of the bristles removing the build up of oils at the base of a follicle and spreading them across the shaft.

Obviously hair loss is a problem that results from inside our problems, but taking care of your hair externally is also important for ensuring what hair you have is healthy. Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, it spreads your hair out evenly across the scalp, which is ideal for styling too.

G

I'm in need of a new brush, any links to a good, cheap boar bristle brush?